Golf GPS

1,902 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BigHitterDaLama
1982Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've used a sky caddie for years, but mine is about done. I'm looking for a separate device (ie - not a phone app), want more data than what the wrist watch yardage models offer, and prefer to get away from the monthly/annual fee. I see that Garmin offers in this space, but don't know anyone that has one. What say you TexAgs - anyone use something they really like and why? Thanks.
khaos288
AG
I'm about to lost my vivoactive garmin watch for 125. It's a solid device if you actually remember to put it in your bag. It tells front middle and back green distance. Then it has a view of the green shape from your approach. Only thing I would want extra would be yardage's to known hazards.
cjsag94
AG
Curious..why a separate device? Phones have all of the capabilities, and lots of choices amongst apps, free and pay. Plus, apps are updated regularly and if a better comes along, you can switch.

Not sure the reasoning to hitch your wagon to a separate piece of hardware and hope they keep up with course changes and such...in a dying space on the technology spectrum.
Just an Ag
AG
I hook it to my cart roof support pole. It synchs fast and It's all I need. $70 bucks,

cjsag94
AG
I'm assuming OP wants more advanced gps capabilities than the watch or for device provide. I personally use the bushnell neo x gps watch, and the grint of I wasn't to hone in on a specific yardage point.

The grint is all you need, but like mentioned, very convenient to have a watch or other device to check quick.
AustinCountyAg
Pretty sure bushnell now has a rangefinder with built in gps as well. Looks cool. Prolly $500 tho
gman-79
AG
Everyone in my fivesome has watches (ain't nobody got time to be messing with their phones). This includes 3 Garmins, 1 Sky Caddie and my Bushnell-Neo-Ion. 2 of 3 the Garmins have had battery issues and the Sky Caddie charging device seems cheesy to me but it is a solid device. I love mine, and it's easy to use and update and gives yardages to hazards. Don't really see the watches going away.
slammerag
AG
Garmin z80 when it comes out
_lefraud_
AG
I used a watch for about a year, but lost the charger. I use the Grint every time out to keep score, and for the price (FREE) you just can't beat it. I know some people just don't like having their phone out at the golf course, but I'm not a watch wearer to begin with, and all I need is middle to the green distance, and maybe a distance to play to, which can all be done with the Grint.

I just enjoy having one item to keep up with, from my phone I have GPS, track score and play music...all for "free" .
DannyDuberstein
AG
Garmin Approach G6. Touch screen which allows you to zoom in/out, measure carry/layup distances to hazards or any spot you pick with the touch screen, and then also switch to a green only screen which gives you front/mid/back but also the ability to touch anywhere on the green and get the distance. With that feature, I'm rarely more than a couple yards off anyone with a rangefinder.

I've had it a couple of years and the battery is still good enough that I can get 3 rounds out of it without recharging.

Courses are always available instead of having to load it like skycaddie. All you have to do is turn it on when ready to play and it pulls up the course you're at. Always finds where I'm at very quickly. If not immediate upon turning it on, within 30-60 seconds
cjsag94
AG
Getting back to details of the OP question...I'm still curious why he specifically doesn't want to use his phone? He says he doesn't want to use a watch as it doesn't provide the level of detail he wants (which I disagree with, I maybe check a layup distance with The Grint once a round, otherwise watch provides plenty of details)... but why exclude phone apps from your universe of options?

There's a reason there aren't many stand alone devices like that available any longer.

Maybe it is because you get a bunch of calls, texts, etc. Turn on and customize the Do Not Disturb features to stop notifications if that is the case.
DannyDuberstein
AG
If he's like me, I don't like using my phone because I prefer not to have to pick the thing up and unlock it each time I want to use it. A lot of the time I'm just glancing at it while it remains in the cupholder. Sometimes I'll pick it up for some touchscreen distance fine-tuning, but most of the round, it stays in the cupholder.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Thats also why i prefer gps to rangefinder. In addition to being able to get distances to things i can't necessarily see/shoot (hazards that aren't visible, i really like front/back yardages, etc), I don't want to have to handle a device every time i want a yardage
Ag_07
AG
Phones also use data like crazy when running a GPS app for 4 hours. Killer if you're not on an unlimited plan.

Also is a serious battery drain
cjsag94
AG
Ag_07 said:

Phones also use data like crazy when running a GPS app for 4 hours. Killer if you're not on an unlimited plan.

Also is a serious battery drain

I don't agree with this. I use GPS every day in the car with Google music, and once a week golfing using the grint. I tend to use about 3- 4Gig of total data each month, including regular incidental use.

Screen time is the bigger issue with battery life, not GPS.
1982Ag
AG
I appreciate all the input. Like some others, I like getting distances to/carry hazards I can't see, and prefer to avoid battery and screen lock issues that come with using my phone. I'll look into the G6, though must admit I'm intrigued by the grint - will look into that as well. Thanks again.
Rubble
AG
slammerag said:

Garmin z80 when it comes out

It's already out according to their website and amazon, just FYI
BigHitterDaLama
You go to a range to practice.....neither watch nor phone can help you.....rangefinder!!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.