Regulating Distance

1,608 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jj9000
jonj101
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.foxsportsasia.com/golf/797964/ra-usga-set-take-action-distance-issue/

I think we've had a few discussions on here related to this, but now it looks like some potential regulation of technology or the golf ball will probably be addressed in the near future.

I'm probably a dissenting voice on this one, but I disagree with trying to tone down the ball or equipment or anything. At the end of the day, in my mind golf is about scoring - getting the ball into the hole in the least number of strokes. 59 rounds are not happening every week. I'm a relatively late comer to this game since 2010, but since I've been playing the scoring leader average is still around 68-69. Even though tech gives the modern game distance advantage, the ball still has to be put in the hole.

From the recreational standpoint it is just ridiculous. Local course records are not getting broken on a monthly basis. Most of the folks that swear they bomb it 300 are probably nowhere close to that. Courses feeling pressured to adapt is wilting imo. You don't have to extend courses to those lengths just to feel the need to keep up - let the bombers go out and blast it all around - many of them will end up with higher scores in the process. I would rather see smarter design focused on shorter-medium length courses with more attention on complex greens. Your average amateur isn't sniffing a 500 yard par four anyway.

Maybe its just me, but I really don't see how such a gesture will grow the game. It just personally annoys me that the governing bodies of golf always feel like they have to do something despite most people not getting better at the game, while at the same time lamenting about growing the game.
jj9000
AG
I could see bifurcation working based on the Tour's biggest hitters making certain courses expand due to their distances.

I still think the idea of dialing the ball (or any other piece of equipment) back for the Average Joe is a terrible idea.

How does changing a Par 4 from a Driver - 9 iron...to a Driver - 5 iron make the game more fun?
khaos288
AG
jj9000 said:

I could see bifurcation working based on the Tour's biggest hitters making certain courses expand due to their distances.

I still think the idea of dialing the ball (or any other piece of equipment) back for the Average Joe is a terrible idea.

How does changing a Par 4 from a Driver - 9 iron...to a Driver - 5 iron make the game more fun?
Imagine long par 3s...

used to hit hybrid? Driver now.
Obi Wan Ginobili
I don't care if tour records start becoming trivial. I want to see guys going low. I want to see people aggressively chasing birdies and eagles. If you want to tamp down the game, narrow the courses and add more punishment for trying to go long off the tee and missing.

If you're going to screw with the amateur game, make it easier and faster. I think the game could grow a lot in a short amount of time if people could jump in and not suck soooo badly right off the bat, and/or if a round at your local muni didn't take 5+ hours.
jja79
AG
For tour events narrow the fairways and let the rough grow a little. Now that bunkers are targets for players they should look at making them more penal. Hitting it into a bunker shouldn't give them an easier shot.

I like seeing guys shoot low scores but TV golf is pretty boring when it's driver/3 wood. gap wedge on par 4's and driver/3 wood, 7 iron into par 5's.
AustinCountyAg
jja79 said:

For tour events narrow the fairways and let the rough grow a little. Now that bunkers are targets for players they should look at making them more penal. Hitting it into a bunker shouldn't give them an easier shot.

I like seeing guys shoot low scores but TV golf is pretty boring when it's driver/3 wood. gap wedge on par 4's and driver/3 wood, 7 iron into par 5's.

birdman
Ball might help. But growing out the rough it simple solution for PGA events. It doesn't have to be US Open height, just penal.

On a typical par 4, you very rarely see a pro decide between driver or playing a little safer with 3 wood.
CapCity12thMan
AG
tighter fairways
thicker rough
tucked pins

It's not that difficult to do this. Your local municipal course becomes infinitely more difficult when these three steps are taken. Why is it that the US Open winner is hovering right around par most years?
JR Ewingford
Rolling back the ball is stupid. Like everyone is saying, grow the rough out, tighter fairways, faster greens. Make em work for it.
agsalaska
AG
For me it is less about the distance and more about straight.

Those of us that played competitively pre pro v1 know how radically different the game is played today because of spin, or lack therof, on the ball. Players used to go after a ball maybe once or twice a round, and the ability to maneuver the ball wit control was much more valued. Today that's not the case. Guys rip at everything because there is much less risk of a shot getting away from you. I cannot think of a sport that has had a more radical change to the way it is played in the last 50 plus years.
powerbelly
AG
agsalaska said:

For me it is less about the distance and more about straight.

Those of us that played competitively pre pro v1 know how radically different the game is played today because of spin, or lack therof, on the ball. Players used to go after a ball maybe once or twice a round, and the ability to maneuver the ball wit control was much more valued. Today that's not the case. Guys rip at everything because there is much less risk of a shot getting away from you. I cannot think of a sport that has had a more radical change to the way it is played in the last 50 plus years.
Blue parachute for you.

jgh85Ag
AG
I agree. Make the bunkers like average muni bunker and see how well they do. Half inch of sand covering clay.
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
The Milkman
AG
jja79 said:

This is the biggest point of contention for me. Sure the big hitters can throw it out there 325 when they want, but courses should make them really consider the value in that with tight fairways, thick rough, and well placed hazards.
rosco511
AG
But it is not that easy or cost effective for a course that hosts PGA tourneys to make these setup changes (ie, truly penalizing rough, tighter fairways, etc.) for only one tourney a year. Thus, an easier and more cost effective way to accomplish the same result would be to have the tour pros play less souped up equipment and balls.
jja79
AG
Instead of raking the bunkers before play starts have the maintenance crew just walk through all of them.
dahouse
AG
I'm a big fan of rules bifurcation. The difference between pros and regular golfers is larger than its ever been in history. The pros play equipment that no one else can get, and have full access to the manufacturers custom fitters and technicians at any moment's notice.

What effect does it have on the game as a whole if some equipment that can improve my experience on the course is generally available and accepted? I have 2 kids, so I only get to play about 10 rounds a year. Before kids, I played 50-60 rounds a year.

I don't compete in any official tournaments. The height of my high-stakes golf was a summer long reckoning of who won the most rounds that culminated in a $50 bottle of whiskey for the summertime winner.

I think I would have a lot more fun on the course if I could use technology that is unrestricted.

That being said, if you compete, especially at the highest levels, the playing field needs to be as level as possible. Equipment needs to be regulated to make sure that manufacturers don't go nuts and create an F1 type atmosphere where the deepest pockets have the technical and engineering advantage.
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
BESCo91
AG
Quotes:

"A controversial new golf ball that will allow players to hit shots further than ever goes on sale today.

The new golf balls are being sold by sports goods giant Callaway, which claims that its Super Light Chrome Soft ball will be a 'game-changer'.

Using Nobel Prize technology, the ball is infused with graphene - the world's strongest and thinnest known material, which was discovered by scientists at Manchester University.

Masters champion Sergio Garcia's shots were 19 yards longer on average when he won the Singapore Open tournament last month than on tour in 2017.

World number one Dustin Johnson came within six inches of a hole-in-one when he hit a monster 433-yard drive on a par four at a tournament in Hawaii last month."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5398143/Golf-ball-worlds-strongest-material-sale.html
jj9000
AG
Had me up until the following quote:

"Using the new balls, world number one Dustin Johnson came within six inches of a hole-in-one when he hit a monster 433-yard drive in a tournament last month"

DJ plays a TalorMade TP5x.

Callaway = Graphene patent

TaylorMade = No Graphene
agsalaska
AG
Not to mention one tournament can be an outlier for distances. Could have been wind. Could have been firm fairways.
zebco
Make courses shorter and wider. Put a premium on angle and therefore strategy
birdman
Just watch the Genesis Open. Riviera has hosted PGA for 50 years. It's a short course and it regulates distance perfectly.

Fairways are a little tighter. Rough in errant driver range is little longer. It's not U.S. Open height, but it makes it tougher.

Bunkers, false fronts, moguls, etc around the green require precision. Every PGA event has these features, but Riviera does it better.

Greens are slick. No free lunch here.

Faldo mentioned something on the broadcast. If you play it to the safe side of green, you gotta work for par. 30 feet away on the safe side is no guaranteed two putt. And making the birdie putt is really low percentage.
jj9000
AG
#10 is one of my favorite holes to watch in all of golf.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.