Ireland Golf Trip w/pics

2,162 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 98Ag99Grad
Gig-Em2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
11 day trip, with 9 days of golf on 9 different courses. Our itinerary:

Day 1: Lahinch
Day 2: Tralee
Day 3: Waterville
Day 4: Old Head
Day 5: Ballybunion
Day 6: Doonbeg
Day 7: Portmarnock
Day 8: Royal Dublin
Day 9: K Club - Smurfit Course

The Cliffs of Moher:

Lahinch - just a beast of a golf course. 40 mph winds, gusting to 50+. Shot a 92.

Tralee - Arnold Palmer design - beautiful layout - no wind, 65 degrees, perfect. Shot a 73. Conditions matter!

Waterville - Payne Stewart's favorite Irish course - it didn't resonate with me - shot an 86 in cold and windy conditions

Old Head - spectacular setting on a peninsula - 300' drops into the ocean - beautiful - shot a 78

Ballybunion - my favorite - tons of movement in the course and some ridiculously fun holes - shot a 79

Trump Doonbeg - a beast, especially in 50 mph wind and rain - shot an 86 and played well

Portmarnock - flatter than western courses, but still difficult. Was not happy with my 83 there.

The K Club - a reintroduction to American golf in a sense - beautiful course, but not Irish - shot a 75 and should have gone lower...

Put this trip on your bucket list. Incredible golf!!

Aggie369
AG
Awesome pictures.... Looks incredible!

We are headed there in May!

Lahinch
Doonbeg
Royal County Down (twice)
Ardglass (spelling)
Portstewart
Ballybunion
Royal Portrush (twice)
AustinCountyAg
What are the prices to play those courses over there out of curiosity?
raidernarizona
Wow, great post! What an incredible trip!

Are the winds always that high? Sounds like Lubbock in March. Those cliffs are breathtaking!
14TheRoad
AG
Man, what a trip! Thanks for sharing the pics, looks like it was a blast. Nice scores also.
Gig-Em2003
AG
The trip was around $5,000 per person if I recall, and that included all green fees (not caddies), accommodations at very nice hotels, as well as a driver that took us all around the island in a nice Mercedes passenger van. We organized it through a group up in New England. Once we were there we probably paid another $2k per person for caddies, food and beverage. Green fees vary quite a bit. We heard the Trump Doonbeg course was running 49 EURO specials. Doonbeg was empty, most other courses had a steady stream of groups.

It was a blast. Get a group of 4-8 guys and make it happen if you can. Any larger and it becomes difficult to organize meals, 4-8 is a perfect size.
Gig-Em2003
AG
And I grew up in the Panhandle as well and was having flashbacks to some spring high school tourneys I played in with 50-60 mph sustained winds. Was fun to try and attempt some of those shots. The wind ALWAYS blows in Ireland, and it rains 250 days a year (albeit light rain or mist most of the time). We had two calm days out of 9, and were pretty lucky to get that according to caddies.

At Doonbeg, our windiest day, I hit a wedge 180 and a 4 iron 130, both hit solid! Reached a 600 yard par 5 with Driver, 5-iron, downwind. And hit a driver, 6 iron, 9 iron into a 400 yard par 4 into the wind. Crazy stuff.
Aggie369
AG
This is why I love golf in Scotland and Ireland....sometimes bogey is a great score. I love the creativity needed to score
Gig-Em2003
AG
Aggie369 said:

Lahinch
Doonbeg
Ardglass (spelling)
Portstewart
Ballybunion
Royal Portrush (twice)

See if you can trade Doonbeg for Tralee or Old Head. Both are reasonable drives. If not, no biggie, Doonbeg still great.
Aggie369
AG
Both old head and tralee were on our wish list to start but got cut down....i guess we will have to go back =)
oldflyer
AG
If you go to Ballybunion, it is worth it to stay over and play the Cashen Course. It was designed by Robert Trent Jones Sr. and gets almost no play. Its a really good course.
Duckhook
AG
Great pics and a great trip! I was in Dublin for a wedding in August and squeezed in a couple of rounds of golf. Played Portmarnock and The Island, both of which I would be happy to play again.
Maroonedinaustin
AG
I hate you.
LHIOB
AG
Aggie369 said:

Lahinch
Doonbeg
Ardglass (spelling)
Portstewart
Ballybunion
Royal Portrush (twice)

Only 220 days but who is counting...
BillyPilgrim
AG
Great pics. I played several courses in Ireland with my Dad a few years ago and Ballybunion was our favorite, as well. .
EMY92
AG
The Cliffs of Moher are a couple of miles from my family's farm. My mother grew up there.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Great pics. Been twice myself and played all of the one's you hit except Tralee and Portmarnock. In the North I've played Royal Portrush, Carne, and Enniscrone. Had the worst weather I've ever played in at Old Head which sucks because it's so beautiful. Fog was so thick you'd lose the ball after 100 yards. Absolutely love Doonbeg; fantastic hotel. K Club is nothing spectacular but it's a welcome relief if you're tired of taking a beating from wind and rain of the links.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.