2017 Dell Match Play

1,967 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by cap-n-jack
Mr.Bond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Apparently Jason Day withdraws from the tournament 6 holes in. His mom has lung cancer. Did he find out about it on the course or what
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
Dang. T&P's if so.

It could be that he knew about it but her conditioned has worsened significantly over the past 24 hours.
White Liberals=The Worst
T&P
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
He said she was diagnosed at the first of the year and only has 12 months to live. She's going into surgery this Friday and he wants to be there. I can imagine the golf course isn't where his heart and mind are right now.
mavsfan4ever
AG
So how does that affect Day's group then? Is it like Perez didn't even play Day and they just do a 3 person round robin?
Mr.Bond
AG
If he knew she's having surgery Friday why even show up? Thoughts and prayers regardless
Matsui
AG
Dude rarely plays outside the US. Always has a lingering issue. Earlier this month it was the flu.
t - cam
AG
Matsui said:

Dude rarely plays outside the US. Always has a lingering issue. Earlier this month it was the flu.

So you don't believe it or are you just highlighting how unlucky he is?
jgh85Ag
AG
Just heard his press conference discussing the issue. He was pretty emotional. I think he realized during the round that he was not where he needed to be.
White Liberals=The Worst
I'd imagine he's especially close to his mother given the fact that his dad was an abusive alcoholic.

Going through sh** like that can do a number on you. You can try to tough it out and then once you get there suited up ready to play think "what the hell am I doing? I can't be here right now.". I've had rounds almost ruined, or set off to a bad start because the traffic getting there was so bad or because I had a rough day at work lol.

I doubt he just wussed out and am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt considering his mother has less than a year to live and going through cancer or comparable trials can be an absolute b****.
AgDotCom
My father had an auto accident about a year and a half ago, he's late 80s. He should be gone but the tough old boot survived brain surgery, a 5 day coma, and we got him through CCU, then acute care, then therapy / assisted living, to finally back to his home with at home care. We are thrilled he's still with us, we're blessed, and he's still improving. Your natural instinct is to do as much as you can for the victim without thinking, on top of your regular job and responsibilities, but because you're out of your wheelhouse, running on adrenaline for hours and days at a time, it eventually tears your body and mind up without you really knowing you're running on empty.

The mental part of golf will expose this condition with a knife. I played in a three day scramble and best ball last summer at the request of a friend, hardly competitive golf by any stretch, but I took it somewhat seriously because I didn't want to let down calcutta bidders, etc. I didn't feel bad at all during the calcutta, but during the next couple of days on the course damn near melted down, had the shakes, and had no clue. The next Monday, one of my employees who had a blood pressure machine due to a past stroke, noticed how I looked and asked to take my blood pressure which was through the roof. Next thing you know, a person with no history of high blood pressure and maybe 3 or 4 one-time prescriptions in his life is in one of those emergency clinics getting checked out. Things are fine now, but I'm sure there are plenty of people like Jason Day who wouldn't be able to take the club back in a tour level competitive situation after dealing with this for 3 months. Some can, but others can't, and he needs to get his mind right.
Big Cat `93
AG
I've been there with an ill parent, too. Both of them, actually. Tried to just power through and keep on keepin' on, but I remember breaking down like Jason did when I realized how dire the situation was. I get it.
Matsui
AG
He rarely plays outside the US except for The British.
DannyDuberstein
AG
jgh85Ag said:

Just heard his press conference discussing the issue. He was pretty emotional. I think he realized during the round that he was not where he needed to be.
It's possible she had another exam, they decided to schedule a procedure fairly quickly, and he got word on the course. But I think your assessment is much more likely.
playeroftheyear69
AG
What point are you trying to make?
DannyDuberstein
AG
I rarely play outside the US
grego
AG
Kinda sucks that he didn't withdraw before talking the spot. Its not like the news snuck up on him.

Tony Finau was the defending champ in Puerto Rico - which is also being played this week. He skipped it because he was the 1st alternate at the Dell. A spot he would have had it Day would have withdrawn before the event.

Not minimizing the very sad family situation (especially given his upbringing) but I don't think Day handled this correctly.
Matsui
AG
Par for the course with day.
Mr.Bond
AG
And why have the press conference? Just leave
No reason to sit on stage and cry for 15 minutes imo
t - cam
AG
Matsui said:

Par for the course with day.
So you are not a Day fan. Got it.
EKG1996
AG
Woodland WD for personal reasons

Boo Weekley
Mr.Bond said:

And why have the press conference? Just leave
No reason to sit on stage and cry for 15 minutes imo
I don't think he cried for more than a couple minutes, unless I missed something, but I thought I watched the whole thing.

I think he probably felt that he owed his fans an explanation and/or didn't want the media to blow it into something that it is not or paint him as an awful sport for "quitting a match because he was down". The way the media runs away with things these days, I can't blame him.

Do yall think he was acting? Using it as an excuse, or what? Both are heavy accusations to make. I do realize that it wasn't the ideal way to handle things and it sucks for the guy who could have filled his spot. Would be good bull to call that guy and apologize.

My guess is that he is depressed and has been depressed for a while after finding out the woman who raised him by herself for most of his life has 12 months to live. Who knows why he thought he could play this week. All I know is that people really do handle grief differently and it can hit you out of nowhere like a ton of bricks.
Boo Weekley
EKG1996 said:

Bad guy. Completely selfish. And rarely leaves the country. So typical.
Goose
AG
Guaranteed FedEx cup points?
t - cam
AG
Boo Weekley said:

EKG1996 said:

I am trying my best to understand the "rarely leaves the country" commentary. Is this a negative or positive critique.
Boo Weekley
t - cam said:

Boo Weekley said:

EKG1996 said:

I am trying my best to understand the "rarely leaves the country" commentary. Is this a negative or positive critique.
I just went to Hawaii and played some awesome golf. Hoping that makes me less of a bad guy since it's at least overseas and wasn't always part of the U.S.
Mr.Bond
AG
Tanihara smoking a cigarette walking down the fairway.... Badass
Jimmie Dimmick
DJ on the ropes
cap-n-jack
Yep. Just went all square.
Jimmie Dimmick
DJ allowed Tanihara some chances but the little dude couldn't bust through. Hope for a good final.
ORAggieFan
Here's to a good final. Two guys playing great this season.
Poot
These 2 are playing the best and it's looked like they have been on a collision course since the field was cut to 16... Here's to hoping it's a great final.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
cap-n-jack
Is he the worst about throwing a fit on the golf course? Serious question.
He's pretty demonstrative.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.