Tell me about Horseshoe Bay resort golf

1,906 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jja79
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Usually spend a few days at the JW San Antonio playing the TPC courses each summer, but looking for something different maybe.

Is the resort there nice? How does it compare the JW?

There are 4 courses now?
SirDeofWood
AG
Went there on a golf trip with 4 guys this past summer. We stayed in the Waters Condo on the resort and it was very nice with great views. We played three courses, Ram, Apple and Summit. These are the only courses that guests can play. The other course you are thinking of is private. I know I am in the minority on this but Ram Rock was not as difficult as everyone makes it out to be in my opinion. It was probably my least favorite of the three really. The others had more character and better views.

I cant compare to JW in San Antonio because I've never been there. Horseshoe Bay is a must though if you have never been. I will definitely go back.
dodger02
AG
We went last April. I played Apple and Slick. My wife stayed at the resort while I played. We stayed at the on-site hotel, not in one of the adjacent condos.

I've also stayed at the JW in San Antonio twice. The JW is nicer than the Horseshoe Bay resort, IMO. I've never golfed at JW, though. I did like the waterfront amenities at HB.

I really enjoyed the golf at HB. When I was there, Slickrock was just renovated and the greens were still trying to recover from some of their work. Apple was beautiful, though. I could play Apple over and over again.

Why not switch it up for a year and just try out HB?
TheGreatScott12
AG
Played Ram Rock this past summer and it was one of the nicest courses I've played in Texas. A couple of the tee shots are breath taking. I'd play if you get the chance. They have an island hole that plays around 211 from the tips and its an awesome sight.
jja79
AG
I always take this trip with my youngest son who is about to turn 14. This morning he suggested we go somewhere within driving distance where we could play several courses. The courses at JW/TPC are very good and the resort is fantastic but he's getting to the point where he's a bit more serious about his game and not needing all the other entertainment the JW has.
dodger02
AG
Horseshoe would be fine, IMO. Three courses within a few minutes of the resort. Play golf in the morning and then relax by the pool in the afternoon and evening overlooking the lake. You can do that at a lot of places. But HB would be just fine for that if you're looking for a changeup and don't need the sometimes lavish amenities of the JW.

Slick reminds me of the country club setup where the old members go not to get embarrassed or pissy. Golfers much better than I say it's "real easy".

Apple has lots of elevation changes and some really, really beautiful holes. I found it to be comfortably difficult.

Ram is supposedly the most difficult. I haven't played it in about 10+ years and hacked my way through a round. It's adjacent to Apple so you'll likely get the same elevation changes and beautiful scenery.

Change it up. Head to Horseshoe.
Hamburger Dan
I take my HS team to a big tournament there each October. You will have a blast. Ram Rock is by far the toughest of the the three courses. They will take care of you.
mcky909
hey i really like it but i never played it. Always wondering to play it.
agsalaska
AG
Go there every year. Nice peaceful place. Pool is great. Boats are great.

Slick is easy and fun.

Apple is beautiful and fun.

Ram is one of the hardest golf courses I have ever set foot on.

Horseshoe Bay never disappoints.
jdbq99
AG
IMO, Horseshoe Bay is a must if you haven't been there before. We used to go every year and stay at the resort, but have trimmed it back to every other year so that we can see and play at other places. I usually play Apple and Slick - never played RAM. We also find ourselves staying and playing at the JW San Antonio at least one or two times a year.

IMO, they are almost two completely different experiences. The JW SA is a modern and up-to-date resort whereas the JW in HB is older with older finishes. It's still nice, but won't have the facilities and amenities that the JW SA has.

I agree with what others have said about the fun/challenges/scenery of the courses at HB. For my game, I find the TPC Oaks more of a challenge than Apple (which is tougher than Slick). I think the scenery/views on Apple far outweigh the ones at TPC Canyons (don't find TPC Oaks to really be "scenic").

aggiedent
AG
Quote:

There are 4 courses now?

If you are talking about Summit Rock, that is not part of the resort, and cannot be played by resort guests. Private membership and guests only.
girlgolfer12
Do you have to stay at the resort to get tee times? A friend of mine has a condo out there.
jja79
AG
I was asking if there were 4.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.