Clubs for 14 Year Old Son?

1,202 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by malenurse
TxAg9406
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My 14 year old son wants to take up golf and is in need of clubs sutable for a 5' 5" teenager. Also, I am trying to keep the cost down, since I have no idea if he will stick with it or not.

Ideally, he will like it enough for me to justify taking up the sport and get us out playing together...
Oso96
AG
Where are you located? I might have something he could use
t - cam
AG
Just get him an all in one set at Sam's or something. Couple hundred bucks for everything in the bag.
CStewTAMU
AG
I would get a used set. That way you can get a good pro line set of clubs for cheap.
TxAg9406
AG
Quote:

Where are you located? I might have something he could use

Thanks for the offer, we are in NE Houston/Humble.

Quote:

Just get him an all in one set at Sam's or something. Couple hundred bucks for everything in the bag.

That is a great idea, I've been looking at sporting goods places and golf specialty web sites; never thought of Sam's.

Quote:

I would get a used set. That way you can get a good pro line set of clubs for cheap.

I thought about this, too, but quickly realized that I was in over my head. I think I went into information overload as soon as I started looking around. So many options and I don't even know which ones are important!

I guess I am going to have to start educating myself, and where better to start than the TexAgs Golf board.
CapCity12thMan
AG
I would try to find one of the name brands, but get them used to keep your costs down. Someone here probably has a set or two lying around that they would sell you for much cheaper than used set at a store.

At minimum, whatever clubs you do get, make sure to get new grips on them. Take your son with you to a golf store and let him feel the grips that are most comfortable for him - this will help. It will also empower him in the decision making and you might learn a thing or two. If something feels good to him it will help tremendously. Club regripping is approx $3-$5 per club, so figure that into your cost. It's also really easy to DIY, but I have always found it worth the extra $1-$2 per club to have someone else do it.
t - cam
AG
https://www.rockbottomgolf.com/golf-clubs/complete-sets/

Good prices. Bought my dad a set of power built when he decided he wanted to start taking lessons at the age of 60. Hit em a few times. Every but as good as any big brand beginner clubs.
jja79
AG
My 13 year old has outgrown his Cobra Bio Cell youth driver. We bought it when he was about 5'5" like your son. My email is on my profile. I'll give it to you if you want it.
LHIOB
AG
Buy him a stack of Playboys. It will keep him active and he won't have to shoulder the life long burden of being a golfer.
C ROC N
You just missed out on the great deals with the closing of Golfsmith, but Academy this time of year usually has a closeout on some irons. Burner 2.0 Taylormade or look for some Nike irons, they will be on closeout since the Nike doesn't make clubs anymore. GL
TresPuertas
AG
I've got a Taylor Made Burner 2 driver he could probably have. Let me know if you're interested.
malenurse
AG
LHIOB said:

Buy him a stack of Playboys. It will keep him active and he won't have to shoulder the life long burden of being a golfer.
You know this is 2017, right?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.