Lowest 4-man scramble score you have seen?

36,501 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by agsalaska
Buck Compton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Last weekend at a charity tournament I helped organize, we had a group go 47 on a par 71 (about 6900 yards).

To be fair, there were two former D-1 college golfers on the team (and the father of one of them), but it was insane to see. I actually got to see a few holes since I was an organizer and not playing. Saw an actual ace on a par 3, then they used the string on another par 3 to grab a second eagle. Eagled all of the par 5s and also a par 4 using the string. Not a single par left on the course.

This was with each player being able to purchase a single mulligan and a single piece of string up to 3 feet. They each purchased a 3 foot string but only used two of the four. Each of them used a mulligan. I understand both of these rules kind of ruin scoring sometimes, but it was a benefit and we wanted to raise as much money as possible.

This was the lowest I had ever seen, so I wanted to hear some stories - when have you seen some crazy-low scores?
Jack Daniels
I've been part of a 48 on a par 72. No mulligans, no string. But course was short, about 6200 yards and we had 4 guys with plus handicaps, all longer hitters and one extremely (125+ mph clubhead speed) long.
oldschool87
AG
Complete and utter Bull S***...

Have written on this subject many times. I am a 2 handicap, I have won dozens of scrambles in my time. None in the last 7 years... Stopped winning when the scores stopped being fair.

After you play a course you know what a winning score should be. You birdie the ones your suppose to, get a couple your not and miss one or 2 you should have.

Just because you have 4 people, somebody still has to hit the shot close. That is not going to happen on every hole. At some point during the round there will be a hole or 2 where you are really struggling for par. Given you might get an eagle, you birdie the par 5's, half the par 4's and half the par 3's. Your looking at a score of 14 under on a par 72 course. That is a 58. That should put you in the top 5 of most any scramble given there is not string. You put string in a scramble, there is no such thing as a 2 putt. If there is string in a scramble its not a scramble, its a drinking game at that point. Mulligans, mulligan just means putt till it goes in then that's my mulligan.

If you play a true 4 man scramble, no mulligans, no string, decent 72 course. An honest really good score is a 58 62. Depending upon conditions. anything lower, I am truly questioning the honesty of the score.

Look no further than the last string tournament I played. 2 48's were turned in. LOL, pure unadulterated cheating, plain and simple.

I have seen 48's, can honestly say I had never seen a 48... So a 48 is an eagle on every par 5, and a birdie on every hole. Thats basically a perfect score. So somebody either had to add to their score a hole and one, a double eagle or a hole out on the 2nd shot of a par 4.

Cheating in golf, pretty much says a lot about the person!

Buck Compton
AG
This is why I was asking. First of all, string is only used once. You only get one length per person and it's not transferable. I saw two of the mulligans the group used and they were both on tee shots - the guy pulled out the three wood and cranked it down the middle.

I know there is probably a lot of cheating going on in most scrambles, but these were the most talented golfers I had ever seen in person (non-pros). I played a round with one of the two college golfers on this team at Ram Rock a year or two ago (I work with them) and he shot two under from the back tees and he wasn't putting overly well. After seeing them play for the 5-6 holes I did during the tourney and seeing 3 eagles, I was expecting a score around 50. Just luck/good fortune to not get a par I guess.

CTGilley
AG
oldschool87 said:

Have written on this subject many times. I am a 2 handicap, I have won dozens of scrambles in my time. None in the last 7 years... Stopped winning when the scores stopped being fair.

After you play a course you know what a winning score should be. You birdie the ones your suppose to, get a couple your not and miss one or 2 you should have.

Just because you have 4 people, somebody still has to hit the shot close. That is not going to happen on every hole. At some point during the round there will be a hole or 2 where you are really struggling for par. Given you might get an eagle, you birdie the par 5's, half the par 4's and half the par 3's. Your looking at a score of 14 under on a par 72 course. That is a 58. That should put you in the top 5 of most any scramble given there is not string. You put string in a scramble, there is no such thing as a 2 putt. If there is string in a scramble its not a scramble, its a drinking game at that point. Mulligans, mulligan just means putt till it goes in then that's my mulligan.

If you play a true 4 man scramble, no mulligans, no string, decent 72 course. An honest really good score is a 58 62. Depending upon conditions. anything lower, I am truly questioning the honesty of the score.

Look no further than the last string tournament I played. 2 48's were turned in. LOL, pure unadulterated cheating, plain and simple.

I have seen 48's, can honestly say I had never seen a 48... So a 48 is an eagle on every par 5, and a birdie on every hole. Thats basically a perfect score. So somebody either had to add to their score a hole and one, a double eagle or a hole out on the 2nd shot of a par 4.

My thoughts exactly.
powerbelly
AG

Quote:

I have seen a group with 2 plus handicaps (all-american level college golfers) and their scratch dads put up a legitimate -20 on their home course.

When I see the a group so drunk they can't walk put up -18 I get suspicious, but legitimate low scores do happen.
Mr.Bond
AG
oldschool87 said:

Blue star. I've been playing scrambles for years and have never heard of "string"
Buck Compton
AG
When you're trying to raise as much money as possible for a scholarship fund, you let people buy mulligans, string, anything!
LeFraud
Unfortunately scrambles are for generating money for a cause, hence the string, mulligans, etc. I would absolutely love to play in a 4 man scramble, with no extras and a spotter for each group. I'd like to see true scores without any gimmicks. Maybe we could make it a Texags outing.
Buck Compton
AG
I'd like to see that too. It'd be interesting to see the difference between a mixed handicap group vs. four scratch vs. four 10s vs. four 20s. Sadly probably won't ever truly know.
Aggie369
AG
I'm in!
EKUAg
AG
Mr.Bond said:

oldschool87 said:

Blue star. I've been playing scrambles for years and have never heard of "string"
I played in string tournaments when I was stationed in Oklahoma..The ones there you paid for a six foot section of string that allowed you to complete shots if they were close. Whatever length of string that was used on the shot was cut off to reduce the overall length for the future use.
Buck Compton
AG
Ours was you paid for as long of a string as you wanted up to 3 feet (in 6" increments) and any single use used the whole string, no cutting.
HouAggie
AG
oldschool87 said:

At some point during the round there will be a hole or 2 where you are really struggling for par.

I agree with almost everything you said, but WTF on the struggling for par comment? I am rarely on a team that has more than a tap in for a par the entire round.
sellthefarm
AG
I play in about 3 per year with coworkers that are terrible. I'm a 15 and the other three guys are like 110-120 types...truly horrible. We usually shoot between 72 and 76 and we usually foot wedge a few back into play. We only cheat to keep from having to go back to the tee. We once played an entire round without a birdie. It's awful. Thanks for listening.
Mr.Bond
AG
sellthefarm said:

I play in about 3 per year with coworkers that are terrible. I'm a 15 and the other three guys are like 110-120 types...truly horrible. We usually shoot between 72 and 76 and we usually foot wedge a few back into play. We only cheat to keep from having to go back to the tee. We once played an entire round without a birdie. It's awful. Thanks for listening.

With all due respect y'all probably shoot over 80 then if you do the things you're saying. That's a big problem with scrambles is people don't actually follow the rules of golf. The foot wedge things, take gimmes, hit a non mulligan 5th shot. Someone will attempt a putt on a green, say it doesn't count..... Unless it goes in etc. I quickly grew a strong hate for scrambles because of all the cheating, like a previous poster stated, I used to win/place in my fair share of them. Now my group shoots a legitimate 57 and we might come in 15th. I then just accepted it for what it was.... An opportunity to drink beer and take a day off work. But I'd much rather play a competitive round any day over a scramble
Mr.Bond
AG
HouAggie said:

oldschool87 said:

At some point during the round there will be a hole or 2 where you are really struggling for par.

I agree with almost everything you said, but WTF on the struggling for par comment? I am rarely on a team that has more than a tap in for a par the entire round.

I'm a 5 handicap and usually play with similar players. There have been holes where all of us hit poor approach shots and poor chips for a tough par putt. It does happen
DannyDuberstein
AG
You want scramble hell? Try being stuck with having to participate in one every year with your mother-in-law. And for several years, your 4th is a guy with glaucoma and can barely ****ing see. He's not the 4th anymore because now he can't ****ing see at all. My brother-in-law, whose only round of golf per year is this tournament, is our B player.
07fta07
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

You want scramble hell? Try being stuck with having to participate in one every year with your mother-in-law. And for several years, your 4th is a guy with glaucoma and can barely ****ing see. He's not the 4th anymore because now he can't ****ing see at all. My brother-in-law, whose only round of golf per year is this tournament, is our B player.

Sounds like a great time as long as glaucoma guy brings the weed.
But seriously, scrambles are bull**** golf. They used to be fun but the rampant cheating has made them ridiculous.
98Ag99Grad
AG
I've seen a couple of 57's turned in before. Don't really care TBH. It's usually a day off from work and I'm playing with buddies so just there to have fun and maybe take some shots I wouldn't normally play when my score counts. Best I've ever been a part of was a legit 61 at par 72 course.
LeFraud
DannyDuberstein said:

How much beer does it take to get through that?
1208HawkTree
AG
Best 4-man scramble score I've ever been a part of was a 52 or 53 (par-72, probably played from 6200 yards or so). Two mulligans per person and no string. My brother was nails off the tee all day long, we knocked flag after flag down, and we had more than one putter on a roll.

One hole was a "Tiger drive" where the team paid $20 and we could hit our 2nd shots on a par 5 300 yds from the tee. We paid the $, then hit anyway. Well, my brother hit it about 30 yards past that mark, in addition to knocking it onto the green on three or four par-4s, two of which we eagled.

Most scrambles are set up really short, so if you get one or two good players who are also long off the tee, you can go low with a couple of hot putters. Shooting a 48 is crazy, but on the right course with the right conditions and the right players, who are also playing well, it can happen.
1208HawkTree
AG
HouAggie said:

oldschool87 said:

Uh, how could you forget our fiasco at Wildcat a couple years ago??

The only scenario I could see this with any regularity is on par-3s, and it's usually with a team that has one or two high handicappers and the better players also hit bad or marginal shots.
HouAggie
AG
1208HawkTree said:

HouAggie said:

oldschool87 said:

Uh, how could you forget our fiasco at Wildcat a couple years ago??

The only scenario I could see this with any regularity is on par-3s, and it's usually with a team that has one or two high handicappers and the better players also hit bad or marginal shots.

Ha! Didn't forget. That was just one of the rare occasions. I guess I end up playing more scrambles with all good players than not.

I've seen legit* 22-under scores without mulligans or string. Depends on the course. You get some short par4s and a couple bombers, there can be a lot of eagle opportunities.

*legit meaning that they're played with two 4-man teams in the same group and some decent money on the line.
Tom Hagen
AG
Mulligans are bad enough (4 mulligans magically morphs into 18). When did "string" become a thing? I'm sure there are many justifications of "that is close enough, let's count it".
DannyDuberstein
AG
A helluva lot. My wife's family does know how to have a good time at least, so that helps. This tournament is related to a charity started by extended family, so there's not really getting out of it. Every once in a while, I'll be lucky enough to have a legit conflict. But I've been playing in this thing for almost 20 years.
K05
AG
I have to share my experience a couple weeks ago.

Charity tournament for a local church/school, so they offered any and all bits to lower your score. We bought 7ft of string (14 6" lengths), a mulligan for each player, and we paid to tee off from the 150 marker on a par 5.

We had 1 albatross on the par 5 where we tee'd off from 150yd marker (used string), and 2 eagles. We drove just short of a 330 yard par 4, chipped in for eagle. The other was a par 5, put a 230yd approach to 15ft and lagged a putt up to a ft away (used string for the eagle). Ended the round with a 56 and were sure we won.

Not so fast my friend....group finished with a 46. I couldn't believe it. Hate to judge a book by its cover, but these 4 guys looked like they had barely played a combined 10 rounds in their lifetime. In their defense, when they announced that their team won, they looked sheepish and embarrassed, like they really didn't even realize what it meant to put down a 46 on their card. Perhaps it was all the cross-ways looks they were getting from the crowd. But, it looked like they really didn't think they would win.

No one in our group really cared, like I said, for charity. But, it was shocking nonetheless.
07fta07
AG
I've shot a legit 58 with no one under a 4 hcp. 14 birdies and 4 pars. Another group also turned in a 58 and we won in a scorecard playoff. One of the guys in the other group told us afterward there was no way they were under 60.
shaynew1
AG
Our family puts on a memorial scramble every year. We evenly pay first, middle, and second to last place. I think it takes the focus off of trying to put up silly numbers and allows ppl to enjoy the day and fellowship. You can play w anyone and shoot anything and have a chance to win something.

Eta: I had a relevant thought to the op but don't know where it went.
C ROC N
My average drive is around 350 and I have been trackman verified with a 142mph which won the Callaway Long Drive comp @ the Woddlands CC that went 392yds. My 4 man team that included 2 college DI golfers which could bomb it out there to 325 along with an old gentleman that was a former golfpro shot a 49 at a par 72 course, but the par 4's where normally around 320-350 yards long. Par 5's 460ish. 1 mulligan per team. We did not even buy the Tiger Woods drive because 3 of use can drive it farther than the spot where they put it 150 out. Chipped in 3 times from off the green on Par 4's, eagled all the Par 5's, drove 4 onto the green on par 4's and made 3 of the putts, and that's with 5 pars the rest birdies i believe the math is right, but I am pretty sure somebody on here will triple check and let me know if its wrong, lol. 23 under par total score. With some string we would have easily had 5 more birdies. So it's doable for sure!!!
trip
AG
I shot a legit 56 with a guy that is a -3 handicap. He came in second in the Houston ProAM.
I was a 7. the two others where not good but could putt.

You have to have 4 guys who can putt.
213 Grove
AG

Saw this one. Tournament with string
Buck Compton
AG
Net of 37?!?! These people don't even know how to cheat and make it believable!!
213 Grove
AG
142 on trackman. Nice !

Were you just up at Winstar ? I may know you.
oldschool87
AG
C ROC N said:

My average drive is around 350 and I have been trackman verified with a 142mph which won the Callaway Long Drive comp @ the Woddlands CC that went 392yds. My 4 man team that included 2 college DI golfers which could bomb it out there to 325 along with an old gentleman that was a former golfpro shot a 49 at a par 72 course, but the par 4's where normally around 320-350 yards long. Par 5's 460ish. 1 mulligan per team. We did not even buy the Tiger Woods drive because 3 of use can drive it farther than the spot where they put it 150 out. Chipped in 3 times from off the green on Par 4's, eagled all the Par 5's, drove 4 onto the green on par 4's and made 3 of the putts, and that's with 5 pars the rest birdies i believe the math is right, but I am pretty sure somebody on here will triple check and let me know if its wrong, lol. 23 under par total score. With some string we would have easily had 5 more birdies. So it's doable for sure!!!

And your not on tour why?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.