Play It Again Sports - College Station

3,338 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by BigHitterDaLama
VegasT
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I walked into Play It Again Sports this weekend and they are going out of business. Craziest thing I ever saw. They had the golf equipment at 25% off and people were carrying it out like they had gold?

Funny thing was that people were carrying out things that looked new but weren't name brand (ie. Ram, Nextt, and Intech).

I walked back to the golf section and there were used Taylormade, Nike, and Odyssey putters still on the shelf in great condition.

It is funny to see how a Going Out Of Business sign will make people impulse buy junk.
jj9000
AG
This thread reminded me of (2) things:

1. When I was in Houston during the Thanksgiving holiday a few years back I took an early morning jog on Black Friday and stopped in Walmart to get a Gatorade. There were multiple palates in the middle of each isle covered in black tarp so nobody could see the product inside. Well, there were multiple people touching each tarp to indicate that they were first to get the product even though they had no idea what was stocked on the palate. Once the tarp came off of one it was pure chaos and herd mentality at its finest. The Walmart staff was throwing portable DVD players out from the top of the palate and people were going mad to get their hands on a freaking portable DVD player.

2. This is a pretty funny story about Play It Again Sports:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/705656-great-buy-at-my-local-play-it-again-sports/page__hl__%20play%20%20it%20%20again

[This message has been edited by jj9000 (edited 8/14/2012 9:19a).]
mpezll
AG
^^^ wow 009 for 150
CStewTAMU
AG
What's so special about a Scotty Cameron 009? Just looked to be a Newport Scotty Cameron. What sets that one apart? Who cares it it was used by a senior tour player. It's not like it was used by Tiger to win a major.
jj9000
AG
CStew...From a practical perspective you are right on the money, a 009 is nothing more than a carbon steel (in most cases) putter, much like the carbon steel Newports from the late 1990s.

However, there are guys in "The Cameron Club" who are absolutely nutty about all things Scotty Cameron. To the point that they pay in excess of several hundred dollars for headcovers that they never use...they just keep them in the plastic as collectors items...and they have hundreds of them.

I saw a video when (I think it was the Catalina) was unveiled. It was a Phantom of the Opera backdrop and there were grown men practically weeping in the audience. I'm 100% serious.

In that respect, the 009 is more of a collectors item than it is a day-to-day gamer.

The guy that got it for $150 could easily send it to Cameron's Custom Shop to get a COA for a nominal amount, then turn around and sell the putter for several thousand dollars.
Whoop04
quote:
However, there are guys in "The Cameron Club" who are absolutely nutty about all things Scotty Cameron. To the point that they pay in excess of several hundred dollars for headcovers that they never use...they just keep them in the plastic as collectors items...and they have hundreds of them.

I saw a video when (I think it was the Catalina) was unveiled. It was a Phantom of the Opera backdrop and there were grown men practically weeping in the audience. I'm 100% serious.

In that respect, the 009 is more of a collectors item than it is a day-to-day gamer.

The guy that got it for $150 could easily send it to Cameron's Custom Shop to get a COA for a nominal amount, then turn around and sell the putter for several thousand dollars.

To each his own I guess. I am into golf for golf, not as a collector. The game is already expensive enough as it is. I happen to think that the font on Scotty Camerons looks like it is marketed for junior golfers, not middle aged men with too much money.

-------------------------------------------------------

BigHitterDaLama
I had to chime in here with some feedback.

1. I am not a Scotty collector or huge fan. I play an odyssey black tour #7 but I know cameron putters for this simple reason. There are stories where folks find a rare one for next to nothing then cash in. The one in this thread is INSANE. I bought a first gen. pro platinum newport 2 at an antiques barn two weeks ago here in socal for $35. Wash in good shape. Was gonna have it restored then decided i still wouldnt use it over my current putter so on to ebay it went. Ive sold about 10 scotty's this past year and make money on all of them.

2.) I dont understand why people buy crappy golf gear. I dont want to come across as elitist or snobby but you can piece together a better set than buying a RAM bundle from say a costco or such. THe Play It Again Sports by my house had a nice condition R7 Superquad today for $49.99 (thats a helluva lit better driver than any Nicklaus RAM or generic crap one would buy.) They also had RAC OS irons 3-PW for 99.99....entire set.

I would have loved to stumble on that 909 scotty.

Anyone know what the certification process does when you send it in to HQ in Carlsbad?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.