Has anyone used the Hank Haney plane finder?

1,939 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by The D
Yesterday
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1p881WLxts

Just curious if anyone has any feedback with this thing. I watched him instruct former Steelers coach Bill Cowher with it and it seemed to work pretty well. I have a pretty bad outside in swing that i've been trying to fix but I seem to just make it worse. Thanks for any thoughts.
AgPrognosticator
AG
It probably does help get your swing on plane, but not even all touring pros have on plane swings. Sometimes you just have to do what feels right to you, as long as it's not a fatal swing flaw.

Yesterday
AG
Well i'm constantly struggling to get a good square face on the ball. I'm usually overt the top, outside to in and with an open face. When I hit it good it's a nice fade, but like I said, I struggle to do that. Even my lower irons are starting to fade/slice.
TennAg
Combined with instruction it might be helpful.

I'm of the opinion that your type of swing flaw is simply the result of not letting the body work naturally. You remember the throwing motion to skip rocks? That "leading with the inside of the right elbow" is what you should go for and feel when you are uncoiling. Outside-in swings simply put the cart in front of the horse instead of everything unfurling outward from the center axis. It's the reason you used to hear to keep your elbow tucked, but it only really matters that you keep it leading your hands when coming through.

Make sure your grip is correct and just picture skipping rocks. It should help quite a bit and will actually improve your ball striking crispness, flight, power and divot consistency.
Yesterday
AG
Thanks for the suggestion Tenn, i'll try that. I understand where my elbow and hands need to be and sometimes I can get it right, but as you know it takes a lot of muscle memory. I can start off good in a round but eventually it will work back to over the top and i'll start slicing. I'll give your rock skipping strategy a try when it thaws out up here in DFW.
Jimmie Dimmick
For your downswing, a good visualization is to use the inside-back quadrant of the ball as your target for your ball strike. Now that advice comes with a little bit of a warning because you don't want to yank the club back to the inside on your take-away in an effort to "cheat" toward strking the ball on the inside part. But as you transition to the downsing and try to strike that part of the ball, your hips and body will try to clear to make room for your arms to come from an inside approach - and ultimately you'll get some of that centrifigal rock-throwing effect that TennAg is mentioning.

[This message has been edited by Jimmie Dimmick (edited 2/13/2012 12:47p).]
Yesterday
AG
Wow! I tried your "skipping a rock" technique and it really helped. It took a while to get the groove down but towards the end of the night I was really hitting them straight. What I was really pleased with was my iron striking. I couldn't hit em crisp every time because I just started the technique but about half the time I was striking the ball really well and leaving a nice straight divot. Thanks for the tip Tenn.
MackeyPatch
I wanted to take my game to the next level, and I was going to spend whatever the cost to get it there..

My first purchase was a package deal with GolfTec, and that didn't do much.. Then, I bought a long putter, which did wonders for my putting. After that, I bought a Tour Striker and Plane Finder at the same time. Wow. I am not joking, those two did more for my game than anything else could have ever done. No joke.
The D
AG
Plane finder looks like it would give me the shanks
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.