Aggie Sage Northcutt

2,017 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Sweep4-2
Texas velvet maestro
How long do you want to ignore this user?
maroon barchetta
Haven't heard anything about him in years. Didn't know he was still fighting.
maroon barchetta
I don't watch ufc. What made the guy tap out?

Was his leg about to get dislocated or was Sage's leg racking him so he wasn't going to be able to continue?

It all happened pretty fast and even the other camera angles at the end don't help.
Texas velvet maestro
they said, win by heel hook
maroon barchetta
Yeah. I don't know what that means
Texas velvet maestro
You lost your thinking cap long ago.
maroon barchetta
I'm on the right board.
Texas velvet maestro
I like ufc ok, but a proper sport doesn't give you a chance to tap out before it breaks your ankle.
A_Gang_Ag_06
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Yeah. I don't know what that means

A heel hook is one of the quickest and most painful submissions in jiu jitsu. It's actually illegal in the gi because there is very little room for escape. It torques the knee almost instantly which is why you see most guys tap wildly unlike a normal submission where they might try and push through. The types of submissions go from zero to serious damage quickly unlike a choke or an armbar.
A_Gang_Ag_06
AG
Texas velvet maestro said:

I like ufc ok, but a proper sport doesn't give you a chance to tap out before it breaks your ankle.

Tell me you've never participated in a combat sport without telling me you've never participated in a combat sport.
Texas velvet maestro
I can tell you you've had the sense of humor beat out of you.

did some boxing at the Y when I was a kid. We didn't have other "combat sports."
Just fighting, which usually involved liquor. and never heel hooks.
A_Gang_Ag_06
AG
Texas velvet maestro said:

I can tell you you've had the sense of humor beat out of you.

did some boxing at the Y when I was a kid. We didn't have other "combat sports."
Just fighting, which usually involved liquor. and never heel hooks.

If you meant that in humor then I apologize. I misunderstood your statement as condescension.

I have a great respect for the submission Sage pulled off 1) because I've dedicated a significant amount of time in my life to BJJ and 2) because I know Sage had a huge hole in his game as a standup focused fighter who now seems to have completely retooled into not only a ground focused game, but one that is focused around leglocks. That takes a lot of humility and ego checking to do.
Texas velvet maestro
My goal was always to stay on my feet, to avoid getting kicked in the head by 3 guys wearing boots.

and I guess in mma, the macho thing to do is stand and trade strikes. Anyway that guy seems like a great dude.
CenTexHornsFan
Hey maroon barchetta - are you a fan/owner of the Italian sports car or does your uncle have a country place no one knows about?
maroon barchetta
My uncle does have a country place no one knows about.

He also has several Jaguars in various barns and in various states of repair. Some are parts cars. Some are not. One could be a barchetta I suppose.
CenTexHornsFan
Wasn't sure if you were a car enthusiast or Rush fan (or both).
maroon barchetta
CenTexHornsFan said:

Wasn't sure if you were a car enthusiast or Rush fan (or both).

More Rush fan than car enthusiast, although I do like classic cars.
Jim Hogg is angry
AG
Dude was a petroleum engineering major.
Sweep4-2
I didn't realize he was back to fighting either, but glad to see him win via a quick submission and not take damage.

And echoing the comments on heel hooks….I'm also a longtime BJJ guy and the 'new school' leg entanglements game gives me problems.
Consistency: It's only a virtue if you're not a screw-up.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.