Real Estate
Sponsored by

Purchasing Abandoned Home in TX?

1,113 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by Aggietaco
Aggietaco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Long story short-ish, there is an abandoned property in my search area that I'd be interested in purchasing to demo and build new on (or complete renovation to slab). The City has been issuing code violations for several years due to grass height, debris, and a pool hazard and the property has appeared on the docket of the building and standards commission several times without representation dating back at least 5 years. The City also has numerous liens filed with the County for all of the work completed. According to the tax office, the last year that taxes were paid was for year 2017. They have been unpaid since then and with interest and fees are near the $150k mark. I see a release of lien from the bank filed a few years prior to the start of the violations and unpaid taxes.

I can't find any timeline on when the County would foreclose on the property and take it to auction. Is there a set time frame for that?

Is there a purchasing method for the property outside of the foreclosure auction process?

The only address I could find for the Owner is a box at a UPS store that may or may not still be active.
Martin Q. Blank
Where did you find the address? Did you check the deed?
Aggietaco
AG
I drove by and made note of it.

I found a "TEXAS HOME EQUITY DEED OF TRUST" in the County records. Appears they did a cash out for $200k in 2011. This appears to have been paid off with a release of lien filed in 2014. I do not find an original deed.

I also just came across some filed court proceedings in the County vs. Property Owner that was just listed as closed in early May. I cannot find a summary of the case or judgement (if any). I'm wondering if this is part of the process of the County foreclosing on the property.
Aggietaco
AG
Based on a foreclosure auction that is about to happen on a property that had its own court case closed 2 months prior to the property I'm interested in, I'm guessing that I just happened in at the right time and I'll see the property on the auction block in about 2 months.

If anyone has experience on foreclosure purchases, I'd love to hear it. I imagine the price will go beyond what I want to pay and the registration process to participate is burdensome, but still interested in the opportunity.
CS78
Post your contact info and ill be happy to share my experience with you.
James Forsyth
Aggietaco said:

I drove by and made note of it.

I found a "TEXAS HOME EQUITY DEED OF TRUST" in the County records. Appears they did a cash out for $200k in 2011. This appears to have been paid off with a release of lien filed in 2014. I do not find an original deed.

I also just came across some filed court proceedings in the County vs. Property Owner that was just listed as closed in early May. I cannot find a summary of the case or judgement (if any). I'm wondering if this is part of the process of the County foreclosing on the property.
A title company can pull the vesting deed for you and you can determine who the record owners of tilte for you. I have a title comapny in-house in my law firm if you need help.
Aggietaco
AG
Sorry, missed your phone number earlier. My contact is in my profile.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.