Real Estate
Sponsored by

Any landlords report rent payments (or missed payments) to credit bureaus?

1,218 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by schwack schwack
NoahAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I agreed to let a tenant out of his lease. In exchange, we agreed I would keep his deposit. He then missed his last 2 payments, but promised to pay when he starting getting paid from his new job. I didn't bother going down the eviction route since it was so close to him moving out.

At this point is it worthwhile trying to report him for nonpayment? Or should I just chalk it up to a learning experience and do a better job screening next time?
Martin Q. Blank
His last two payments meaning 2 months? You should have had a better exit strategy. Once he knew you were keeping his deposit, there was no incentive for him to make payments or leave the house in good condition. I would report it.

"I am sympathetic to you breaking the lease, but it depends on how and when you leave."
NoahAg
Yeah we agreed he'd move out 2/1. He missed Dec and Jan payments. I knew at the time that once I had his deposit there was really no other leverage I had. Can't change the past now. Just trying to decide how much I want to "go after him."
Sea Speed
AG
If you were his next landlord, wouldn't you want to know about this?
Troglodyte
AG
If you are willing to write it off, there is no harm in turning it over to a collection agency to collect. You ding his credit so hopefully he doesn't do it again and you hold a hope ticket of recovering some.
NoahAg
Sea Speed said:

If you were his next landlord, wouldn't you want to know about this?
Absolutely. Is it as simple as filling in some info on Experian's website?
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

Is it as simple as filling in some info on Experian's website?

Wondering the same. How do you report it?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.