Real Estate
Sponsored by

Developing / Building Homes

2,488 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Gigem_94
Maximus Johnson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have multiple years of construction experience and had a former colleague reach out to me wanting to invest his own capital into buying land and me managing the development of said land and construction of new homes.

Has the ship sailed on this type of business due to interest rate hikes / recession predictions? Geography this would take place is in SW Houston between Houston and Galveston.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Shallowminded14 said:

I have multiple years of construction experience and had a former colleague reach out to me wanting to invest his own capital into buying land and me managing the development of said land and construction of new homes.

Has the ship sailed on this type of business due to interest rate hikes / recession predictions? Geography this would take place is in SW Houston between Houston and Galveston.

Well Galveston is south east of Houston
normaleagle05
AG
If you have to ask the internet if the Single Family Residential Developer is a dead business concept you should stay out of that game.
TxAG#2011
My dad is a SF developer. Does your colleague realize how much money this takes? Serious serious money just to get the lots in place.
dc509
AG
The answer to your question is that the ship hasn't sailed.

Not to be snarky, but the people above are correct. If you're asking the internet then this is a bad idea.
evestor1
The story has already been told. Developers keep on putting out incredible crappy spec homes b/c ...people buy them.

If you want to develop crappy homes on cheaply acquired land then you will make money

If you want to develop high quality homes then you will need to buy expensive land and triple the construction budget to make money.

Otherwise you will fail.
NoahAg
I'm close to the development industry. You can make money. You can lose it.
If your friend has money to invest I would put it toward rental properties. If he has lots of money to invest I would put it toward multifamily.
If you have a construction background I assume you are decent at running cost estimates so that could be beneficial for both of you if you focus on rehabbing and renting properties.
IMO, this is a much more predictable, measurable, and profitable way to go compared to development.
Let's go, Brandon!
MTTANK
AG
Growing up, I always dreamed of being a developer. It's not like wanting to be a banker, or firefighter. There just are not that many people in the business, and I was never close to one. I also don't come from FU money, and that seems like the even larger barrier to entry. Don't let anyone shame you for asking. I have learned a lot just by reading this forum in passing.

My limited knowledge that may/may not help

- It's expensive as hell to cut in roads and utilities. This is the part you probably know, from having experience with that side of the business. I have always thought it was funny to hear people complain about the cost of a lot in comparison to the going price for an acre of land.

- The part you might not know, is the land cost and the expense of physically developing it is just the tip of the iceberg. The engineer and attorney fees can be eye opening. You have carrying cost while getting the development approved with the city/county.

- There is a ton of risk. We are in a boom like I have never seen in my lifetime. Every developer looks like a genius right now. Over the years I have seen many developers go broke, or have to sell at a loss. Somebody finds an endangered or protected species on the land, happened by the cap rock development. River place lake was done wrong and won't hold water with "Lake front" lots surrounding it. King Oaks was a failure and sold for a song, they were just a little too early. Dove Crossing was a failure and sold for a song. It goes on and on.
GIG 'EM
Maximus Johnson
AG
I am not talking about developing neighborhoods and I wasn't clear on that in my OP. It would be more geared towards buying a 4-5 acre pasture and subdividing 1 acre lots. I feel like that would ease me in to the process and mitigate some of the risk. I wouldn't build spec's. I would want the home sold prior to starting construction.

I am currently managing $30+MM in construction projects. I know how to do it and feel I can be successful doing so. Just worried with the interest rate spike and what feels to be a looming recession I might be a year or two too late.
normaleagle05
AG
Buying a 4-5 acre pasture and subdividing 1 acre lots IS developing a neighborhood. You still have nearly all the same steps that need to be taken and they will all have a minimum cost that doesn't scale linearly with the number of lots involved. This is why full time professional developers don't do 3-4 lot developments.

This isn't a construction project. It's due diligence, surveying, civil engineering, real estate law, permitting, platting, construction, marketing, and real estate sales.

Most of the folks I've seen do this at all successfully were partitioning family property rather than selling it outright. That made their carrying costs very different than yours would be.

Some suggested homework: go pull all the plats filed in the County you're thinking of developing in over the last 5 years and see how many look like your plan. Call a few of the developers that did those plats and ask them about the experience. If your plan is Harris County, strike that and go look into developing a MUD so your due diligence learning curve runs smoother.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I think if you are asking the internet it means " you have a lot of prework to do before it could be a good idea"
dc509
AG
normaleagle05 said:

Buying a 4-5 acre pasture and subdividing 1 acre lots IS developing a neighborhood. You still have nearly all the same steps that need to be taken and they will all have a minimum cost that doesn't scale linearly with the number of lots involved. This is why full time professional developers don't do 3-4 lot developments.

This isn't a construction project. It's due diligence, surveying, civil engineering, real estate law, permitting, platting, construction, marketing, and real estate sales.

Most of the folks I've seen do this at all successfully were partitioning family property rather than selling it outright. That made their carrying costs very different than yours would be.

Some suggested homework: go pull all the plats filed in the County you're thinking of developing in over the last 5 years and see how many look like your plan. Call a few of the developers that did those plats and ask them about the experience. If your plan is Harris County, strike that and go look into developing a MUD so your due diligence learning curve runs smoother.
This is the part I would focus on. Most first deals fail, and a significant reason why is the soft costs.
fka ftc
As others have mentioned, its not as simple as buying a pasture, putting in some wooden stakes, and hoping the city and utilities magically appear.

You have all the fees mentioned above that also should include impact fees. This is what the water, sewer and power companies are going to charge to run services to each lot. They are not insignificant, and in that area in lets say North Galveston County, the fees are some of the highest I have seen - more like Frisco in DFW.

Drainage plans are also a big deal. Texas City requires an engineered drainage plan for each lot you build on. Keep in mind this plan is after you have "developed" the property and platted the lots.

The checklists are pages long on developing land and the models are very complex and many assumptions and inputs.

Land development is a long term, deep pocket game that only a few are ever really good at. Wait a while and buy some VDLs off of someone whose deal no longer pencils or they need to offload an asset. Starting with a firm(er) price of the lot will be HUGE in determining success of selling a finished home.

Edited to Add: Many states have laws regarding how small of a parcel can be subdivided without additional steps required for subdivision development. I just recently learned this looking at property in Colorado. If Texas does not have its own, many local governments will and may also have land use requirements, zoning, etc. Where I currently live, 1 acre lots are required. Across the street its 2 acre.
Gigem_94
AG
Lot development can be good but you really have to know what you are doing and can be quite expensive. Entitlements can be tough and varies city to city and can take much longer than expected. But experienced developers use PIDs, MUDs, TIRZs etc to basically cover much of the costs but that takes more time and legal expertise. But best thing to do is get your builder under contract to buy your lots before you get too far down the road or even before you buy the land.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.