Real Estate
Sponsored by

Syndicated Build to Rent Development

3,112 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by dcAg
Red Pear Realty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
I wanted to share my latest syndication, a "build to rent" development deal, with TexAgs.

The Neighborhood
Some of you know that I live in Oak Forest, in Houston (77018, just north of the Heights and outside loop 610). Oak Forest was developed in the post war period in the late 1940s and early 1950s by Frank Sharp, who was notable (among other things, you can look them up...there should seriously be a movie about this guy) because he was one of the first, if not the first developer to subcontract individual trades in order to reduce costs associated with development. Fast forward to today, Oak Forest Elementary (OFE) is known as one of the top elementary schools in HISD, with suburban sized lots and street layouts that can hold a 4,000 to 5,000 SF home, and still have room for a back yard or pool, and still be close enough to the "action" of the city. The latest lot comps are in the $500,000 range and new builds are being offered between $1.2 and $1.6 million.

The Story
About 9 months ago, a lot came up for sale at 2212 Lou Ellen Ln (literally across the railroad tracks but still zoned OFE), and I brought the deal to an investor who made a solid offer, which was rejected because the tenant at the location had a ROFR on the property. Fast forward to early January, and the owner/broker emailed me to say that the tenant couldn't secure financing and had vacated, and asked if I had an interest in making an offer. After speaking with a handful of investors, some who had invested with me before and some who had not, I made a good offer, and we closed last week with the intention of building 6 single family homes on the site and renting them.

The Plan
The investment thesis is that we will develop and instead of selling individual homes, we will hold and rent them long term (this is typically called "Build for Rent"). Our basis will be low enough that we should be able to cash flow well (maybe even hit the 1% rule which some of you may be familiar with), and someday, potentially build up a portfolio of these such that we can sell to an institutional aggregator. Our downside protection is that we can sell one or more units if the partnership decides to do that, and make a good profit for the partnership. Currently, homes on this street (quickly turning from industrial and low density residential to high density residential) are comping to approximately $500,000, which is a great basis for a new home compared to lot value in the neighborhood proper.

Some pics of our site:

Closing day!

Aerial / existing and future developments along Lou Ellen

More of a birds eye view (facing the Oak Forest neighborhood)

More of a birds eye view (facing Downtown)

Margaret is done taking pics, Evelyn wants to show you her dress, and girl #3 will be here tomorrow!

I'll post updates from time to time as we go along.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Diggity
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

I wanted to share my latest syndication, a "build to rent" development deal, with TexAgs.

The Neighborhood
Some of you know that I live in Oak Forest, in Houston (77018, just north of the Heights and outside loop 610). Oak Forest was developed in the post war period in the late 1940s and early 1950s by Frank Sharp, who was notable (among other things, you can look them up...there should seriously be a movie about this guy) because he was one of the first, if not the first developer to subcontract individual trades in order to reduce costs associated with development. Fast forward to today, Oak Forest Elementary (OFE) is known as one of the top elementary schools in HISD, with suburban sized lots and street layouts that can hold a 4,000 to 5,000 SF home, and still have room for a back yard or pool, and still be close enough to the "action" of the city. The latest lot comps are in the $500,000 range and new builds are being offered between $1.2 and $1.6 million.

that ******* nearly bankrupted our high school. Pretty interesting story for the folks that weren't around when this all happened. Amongst other things, it brought down Lt. Gov Ben Barnes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharpstown_scandal

sounds like a cool project though, Good luck Jamie!
Sea Speed
AG
i too have 3 daughters. Gotta make hay while the sun shines to fund those teenage years and weddings.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Sea Speed said:

i too have 3 daughters. Gotta make hay while the sun shines to fund those teenage years and weddings.

#GirlDadNationalAnthem
Aggiemike96
AG
Sea Speed said:

Same. Three daughters. Oldest is almost 19. I'm pretty close to those looming weddings.
mazag08
AG
This sounds like an awesome deal.
one MEEN Ag
AG
A) Congrats on the third blessing that will have happened by now.
B) Congrats on closing on a property in that area. I agree with you that area will continue to appreciate in value and improve.

Your play is that you're sandwiched between the 610 frontage road shops and a road behind you that has a bunch of businesses. Businesses that I assume are not going to relocate or be bought out anytime soon. Your biggest value add is A) being close to the city, B) cheapest access to one of the best elementary schools. The only thing I think holding you back is why would people who have elementary school aged kids choose to live in a townhome with (what I assume) no yard and no easy access to the playground just north. Of course people can walk, but you want to walk your kids down TC jester? Looks like a 3 story townhome just down the street went for 450k, but that was in a bigger neighborhood. Looking at crime maps (which by the way trulia pulled theirs quietly after Realtor made a big deal) I think FHA is behind it like some were speculating on that thread.It looks like this is a quiet street that is hiding in plain sight. Crime mostly sticks to 610 frontage properties and up behind in the bigger homes in garden oaks. I assume a majority of breaking car windows as I have friends who live there and the police have told them to keep stuff out of their cars. Said the biggest issue is right when high school gets out the kids just walk down the street, jiggle car handles and break windows if they see stuff. Since almost all of the old garden oaks homes don't have a garage its tough to fight.

I know right now you can slap anything together and people will line out the door to put offers on it. Just trying to think through your limitations of the property and neighborhood.

Great purchase. Please keep me posted on this.
12thMan9
AG
You're off a bunch on where you think this is located. It's N of 34th, which is a ways from 610.

But, I think the bigger ask is for investors to part w/money that won't see a return for at least a year. Is that feasible? There are other investments that can provide a return much sooner, and perhaps better.

The idea may work, it seemd like you would be really offering a free standing MF site. It also would seem you would be competing w/players like Riverway, InTown Homes, or any of the other folks building around you.

Good luck though. I used to live over there & it's good to see it being revitalized. Ate at Valencia's last Friday.
Ronnie '88
one MEEN Ag
AG
You and I must have different ideas about being 'a ways from 610.' It's less than a mile.
Edit: I see your point. I used the word sandwiched which would mean a lot tighter boundaries. That neighborhood just south of 34th is the biggest competition. Backyards, same schools. Same idea of being the 'cheapest' access to that elementary.

Still interested in hearing more. If it's a group buy, hold, distribute rental profits I think it's a good area to be doing so.

bkag9824
AG
Congrats on the deal!

Remind me, you guys put some STRs into service not too long ago, correct? If so, how are those performing for you? Where are they?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
bkag9824 said:

Congrats on the deal!

Remind me, you guys put some STRs into service not too long ago, correct? If so, how are those performing for you? Where are they?
I syndicated about $10 million worth of land transactions in 2021 with various partners and various goals for the different tracts, but none for Build to Rent housing, so this will be my first Build for Rent endeavor. I've been a landlord personally since 2008 through. I'm always looking for more deals, and have partnered with some great Aggies, including several folks on this board for my past/current deals. I definitely have plans to grow the platform, that's for sure.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Diggity
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

You and I must have different ideas about being 'a ways from 610.' It's less than a mile.
Edit: I see your point. I used the word sandwiched which would mean a lot tighter boundaries. That neighborhood just south of 34th is the biggest competition. Backyards, same schools. Same idea of being the 'cheapest' access to that elementary.

Still interested in hearing more. If it's a group buy, hold, distribute rental profits I think it's a good area to be doing so.

to be fair. Your initial description made it sound like the subject property was wedged between commercial and a freeway, when there's a neighborhood separating the freeway from the property.
KayJayKay
What do you project the monthly rent to be on these houses?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Untrended (meaning todays rents) at approximately $3,000 per month based on current comps on the same street.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
bkag9824 said:

Congrats on the deal!

I just reread your question and realized you where asking about our short term rentals. I'm going to blame my lack of understanding on new baby sleep deprivation, ha!

Our Airbnbs are doing well! January and February are always slow months as folks are tired of traveling and spending money after the holidays but our March calendar is booked nicely and we achieved some nightly rates well above anything we've done in the last 5 years. I'm working with a partner to explore the idea of launching an Airbnb fund as well, so maybe that happens someday soon too.
mazag08
AG
12thMan9 said:

You're off a bunch on where you think this is located. It's N of 34th, which is a ways from 610.

But, I think the bigger ask is for investors to part w/money that won't see a return for at least a year. Is that feasible? There are other investments that can provide a return much sooner, and perhaps better.

The idea may work, it seemd like you would be really offering a free standing MF site. It also would seem you would be competing w/players like Riverway, InTown Homes, or any of the other folks building around you.

Good luck though. I used to live over there & it's good to see it being revitalized. Ate at Valencia's last Friday.

It depends on the risk/reward.

If you're promising me a 10% cash on cash starting in month 20 I might listen. Plus, would you rather put your money in this or in an apartment syndication where you know they are buying deals at top of the line pricing, paying for the majority of value add up front, and hoping to god that the musical chairs doesn't stop before they can exit their bridge loan in 3-4 years for a 1.75x (not the 2.5x they are promising you, but what you are going to actually get with no more cap rate compression)?

When prices are this insane and debt is still this cheap, ground up development is easily the most profitable venture, especially if you can get in at a low basis.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Old structure is gone. Onward and upward from here.
dcAg
We have BFR as a new arm of our company. Make sure you get these seperately platted. It will be much easier to sell them later if needed. There are large companies looking to buy just one house at a time because of the business model. We most likely wont go to a site smaller than 10 acres. Looks like a great project!
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
We are individually platting these because of the flexibility. And the goal is to assemble a portfolio of "a bunch" of these and sell them to one buyer at some point down the road.
dcAg
If you have a quality project you will kill it on the disposition.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.