Real Estate
Sponsored by

Apartment pushing my move-in date

2,728 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by mazag08
bigtruckguy3500
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So I'm in the process of moving, and there is virtually no availability for anything. Finally got a place that said I'd be able to move in today (7/30). I signed the lease via email and sent it back to them, gave them my deposit with prorated rent for the last 2 days of July. Now, it turns out that they made a mistake and the prior tenant was moving out today, and the apartment would be ready for move in in one week from now.

It's very much a renter's market, as nothing else is available for another 1-2 months. Otherwise I would have asked to pull the lease and refund my deposit since they are essentially breaking the lease terms. Am I just out of luck?

In Virginia if that matters at all.
JMac03
AG
Can they pay for you a hotel for a week since it is their fault?
histag10
AG
Your lease has the 7/30 move in date?

Sounds like they need to find you somewhere to stay
FC12
If you signed a lease and it has a move in date, ball is in your court. Ask them how they plan to fix itI.e., pro-rated refund for the days not in your apartment or a hotel to your satisfactionmight want to discuss storage fees too if your stuff is in temp. Storage.
bigtruckguy3500
JMac03 said:

I can check, but if they say no, I don't really have many options, other than continue to fork out hotel money till I can find another place. Which could be 2 months away.

They asked me to sign a new lease, with the new move in date, so I wouldn't be paying for the days I'm not in the apartment, but I'm still gonna be out some money that I've had to spend for a hotel.
atmtws
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

JMac03 said:

I can check, but if they say no, I don't really have many options, other than continue to fork out hotel money till I can find another place. Which could be 2 months away.

They asked me to sign a new lease, with the new move in date, so I wouldn't be paying for the days I'm not in the apartment, but I'm still gonna be out some money that I've had to spend for a hotel.
I wouldnt sign the new lease until they settle with you on hotel/storage payment. Because right now they are breaking the law (in most states) by charging double rent on the same unit. I've been out of the multi-family industry for over a decade, but doing that in Texas used to be a huge no-no.
KenJohse
AG
KenJohse
dubi
AG
Quote:

I wouldnt sign the new lease until they settle with you on hotel/storage payment. Because right now they are breaking the law (in most states) by charging double rent on the same unit. I've been out of the multi-family industry for over a decade, but doing that in Texas used to be a huge no-no.
I agree with this 100%.

They should pay your hotel bill and your storage unit bill.
bigtruckguy3500
dubi said:

Quote:

I agree with this 100%.

They should pay your hotel bill and your storage unit bill.
Yeah, I mean technically they want me to sign a new lease so they don't charge me for the days I'm not in the apartment.

I'll try talking with them next time I go Wednesday. I'll push for the differential between what I pay in hotel stay compared with rent. But problem is I don't have leverage unless I lawyer up, but I have no time for that. They can give me my deposit back and say go somewhere else, in which case I'd be out of a place to live for at least a few weeks (there's just nothing available), or they could say if I don't sign the new lease that I forfeit the deposit (I doubt they'd do that, because then I would lawyer up).

I'll see what I can do.
dubi
AG
Don't sign it until the day you actually move in.

Save your receipts and submit them.
Texasclipper
AG
This happened to my son in San Antonio this week. They pushed his move in out 6 days.

He had rented a 3rd floor unit because he didn't want someone on top of him and they called him 5 days before move in and said "because of the storms, they wouldn't have it ready" but he could have a second floor unit instead. It turns out they screwed up and the tenant was still in there.

They reluctantly provided a garage to store his stuff and waived enough fees to cover the hotel along with adjusting his rent. Still very inconvenient because he has to move twice now.
bigtruckguy3500
So I went to their office yesterday, and it's all new staff that had no idea what was going on with my lease. They seemed willing to help, but said they'd have to talk to their regional office to give any discount.

I didn't sign anything, and my move in would be tomorrow. If they don't hear anything, should I hold on moving in till they do?

ETA: They gave a concession equivalent to how much extra I paid to live in a hotel. My storage is free, so no need there. I think it's reasonable.
Matsui
AG
Sounds like they made it right or close to it.
mazag08
AG
It is a new management company?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.