Real Estate
Sponsored by

Are storage units played out?

1,799 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Kenneth_2003
jagvocate
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I see baby boomers passing away that had so much "stuff" and I see a smaller Generation X that didn't accumulate as much and I see Millennials as being much more digitally based in their possessions. This makes me question the need, writ large, for as much storage space as currently exists.

Maybe my thesis is flawed so I would love to hear anyone's input re: this asset class. Thanks!

Premium
AG
People are still hoarders and do not like to throw things away in general. But yes, CD collections and TVs are not the size they used to be. But furniture is. Boats and RVs are bigger and more popular than ever.
evestor1
I feel like storage will be open game in texas for several years to come. The amount of garbage collected and stored by people is beyond reason...then add boats / rvs and it becomes ridiculous.

I rent several side by side units since 2016 for office paperwork that contacts state we cannot throw away.
case04
AG
I have a hard time believing these "minimalist" don't have a storage space for their stuff. Maybe I just have too much junk.
expresswrittenconsent
It's a great feeling when you realize none of the crap in the storage locker is individually worth the cost of a locker for 2-3 yrs of storage.
Premium
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

It's a great feeling when you realize none of the crap in the storage locker is individually* worth the cost of a locker for 2-3 yrs of storage.

*collectively
South Platte
evestor1 said:

I feel like storage will be open game in texas for several years to come. The amount of garbage collected and stored by people is beyond reason...then add boats / rvs and it becomes ridiculous.

I rent several side by side units since 2016 for office paperwork that contacts state we cannot throw away.
Seems like safe, reliable, and accessible RV/boat storage would be a good opportunity. I see some really nice boats and RV's sitting in a poorly maintained grass lot close to our neighborhood. I hear they get stuff stolen and are broken into constantly with no responsibility from the storage facility.

I would think spending some money to create a nice storage facility would payoff quickly.
expresswrittenconsent
Premium said:

expresswrittenconsent said:

It's a great feeling when you realize none of the crap in the storage locker is individually* worth the cost of a locker for 2-3 yrs of storage.

*collectively

Almost certainly that, too.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Apartments may be cutting into that market to an extent as more and more new apartment complexes have the option for onsite storage. They obviously call them garages, and sure some people will keep their car in there, but there's a lot of excess junk that gets piled in those things too.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.