Real Estate
Sponsored by

Living near concrete plant

3,613 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Sasappis
RogerFurlong
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We're in the market for a new home and a home we are interested in will be near where a concrete plant is planning on being built.
The home would be about .3 miles from the entrance.
Has anyone had any experience with this? Should we run a way or would it not be too big of a deal?
tx1c
AG
I live less than a half mile as the crow flies from one. I haven't noticed anything detrimental about it except for concrete trucks being part of the local traffic.
I'm also only slightly further than that from a quarry that occasionally does blasting. I haven't noticed the blasting, but when the weather is right and we have windows open, we can hear some of the machinery running.

A concrete plant might be a problem if you're typically downwind of it and would catch more dust than normal.
Caliber
AG
tx1c said:

I live less than a half mile as the crow flies from one. I haven't noticed anything detrimental about it except for concrete trucks being part of the local traffic.
I'm also only slightly further than that from a quarry that occasionally does blasting. I haven't noticed the blasting, but when the weather is right and we have windows open, we can hear some of the machinery running.

A concrete plant might be a problem if you're typically downwind of it and would catch more dust than normal.
That last bit would be the biggest thing. Check out prevailing winds. I wouldn't worry about it much otherwise.
Yesterday
AG
They can tear up asphalt roads but today's concrete plants are pretty damn clean. The newer diesels trucks are also much quieter than than they used to be. Head over and introduce yourself and talk to the managers. They may pour you a driveway with extra ready mix.
Mhickerson09
AG
I live very close to a concrete plant and hardly notice it. On a good clear day I might be able to hear it but most of the time I don't notice. Actually the company helps maintain the road the trucks drive on which is nice.
ratfacemcdougal
A few other items to consider. Is it a long term or short term setup. If there are hundreds of acres for building houses, it may be there awhile. Are you planning on being there long term...consider what you are thinking about right now and trying to resale. ANY place is going to have positives and negatives, you just have to weigh the differences and see what is important to you. Now for the biggie....depending on where you are and the construction restrictions....during the summer, many slabs start pouring at 3 or 4 in the morning, which could mean the plant and the trucks could all be rolling at 2 or 3 in the morning. They could also allow work on Saturdays.
RogerFurlong
It would be for the next 10 years at least. The neighborhood the house is in is complete and the immediate area is already built out. There seems to be a lot of people putting their houses up for sale in the area ever since they said they were going through with the plant. A bunch of people were protesting the construction of the plant and it looks like a few of them are just going to move.

Hopefully I can get a good price. The noise won't bother me as much as it will the wife.

Thank ya'll for the replies.
agdaddy04
AG
If the noise bothers the wife, she'll bother you.
Aggie09!
AG
East Texas by chance?
expresswrittenconsent
Seems like a terrible idea.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Honestly I'd run away
RogerFurlong
Correct.
Aggie09!
AG
I live about a mile from the plant which appears to be the safe zone, thankfully. I wouldn't buy a house there for half the price. I just don't see how we are going to win this fight against them building it either.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Just buy a bulldozer OP

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Heemeyer)
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.