Real Estate
Sponsored by

Permit Question - Unincorporated Harris County

708 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by trestamu
trestamu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Neighbor is getting ready to move and I've got some interest in buying the property. It's in the unincorporated part of Harris County. Not in a special flood plain area. A few years ago he added a patio and a pool.

Do those additions need to be permitted?

If it was not permitted and should have been, what happens?
What happens if the county uncovers a violation?
How hard is it to get permitted after the fact?
How does that impact a potential buyer?

SteveBott
AG
If not in any city you can do whatever in the county. Talk to the title company if want better advise
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
TXTransplant
Totally anecdotal, but I live in an unincorporated part of Harris County (technically in The Woodlands, but that's a separate thing).

My friend lives in a house with a pool. Pool was already there when they bought it. A couple of months ago, she got a letter from the county (I think it was HCAD, but I could be wrong) saying their pool is unpermitted. I'm certain the letter was from some agency in Harris Co., though.

I can't remember what the resolution process and/or penalty (if any) was, but I told her to call the company that installed the pool and put it off on them.

If you look at the CAD, they are WAY behind in identifying the houses that have pools (at least in my area). There are houses in my 'hood that have had pools for at least 3 years, and the CAD still hasn't updated the record. So, it doesn't seem like being unpermitted affects sales, but they will eventually figure it out.
trestamu
AG
I appreciate it guys.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.