Real Estate
Sponsored by

Initial Data on COVID's Impact on the Real Estate Markets

2,104 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Diggity
Red Pear Realty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
Hot of the press from HAR: https://www.har.com/content/newsroom?pid=1718

Selected snippets:

Quote:

HOUSTON (May 13, 2020) The Houston real estate market's strong start to the new year was abruptly interrupted in April as the full impact of the coronavirus outbreak was felt across Texas and the rest of the country. Stay-at-home directives and social distancing weighed on the market as Realtors began transitioning to virtual open houses and virtual property showings that enabled consumers to safely and conveniently market and tour homes on HAR.com.

Prior to April, home sales had been outpacing 2019's record volume as consumers took advantage of historically low interest rates. Despite the slowdown in April, year-to-date sales are still running 1.4 percent ahead of last year's level.

Homes in every pricing category suffered losses, with the steepest declines at the low and high ends of the market. Leases of single-family homes also took a hit.

According to the latest monthly Market Update from the Houston Association of Realtors (HAR), 6,199 single-family homes sold in April compared to 7,666 a year earlier, representing a 19.1 percent decline and ending a nine-month run of positive sales. Pricing, however, showed little impact. The single-family home median price (the figure at which half of the homes sold for more and half sold for less) rose 2.4 percent to $251,000, the highest price ever for an April. The average price was statistically flat at $310,331.

Sales of all property types totaled 7,192, down 21.6 percent from April 2019. Total dollar volume for the month fell 20.4 percent to slightly more than $2.1 billion.

TLDR version...Volume is way down, but pricing held or actually went up compared to last year.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Oh, and I'm also a member of the MLS for the Metroplex, BCS, Austin, and San Antonio, so I'll update when those associations publish their data as well.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
SteveBott
AG
20% drop in sales sticks out
mazag08
AG
Here's some graphs I pulled from HAR.

If anyone wants me to run one for a specific area (subdivision, city, county, school district, etc) let me know.

New Construction Only

Excluding New Construction

LP vs SP, Excluding New Construction

New Listings vs Sales, Excluding New Construction

Sales and Sales Price in HARRIS COUNTY, Excluding New Construction
mazag08
AG
Ultimately, new listings and sales are both down in volume for this time of year, but as of now, prices are holding.
mazag08
AG
I wanted to see what was happening in the higher priced sector of the market. So I limited results to only homes $500,000 or more.

ChoppinDs40
AG
can you run for Dallas, Collin, and Denton county?
mazag08
AG
AggieFanatic09 said:

I should have mentioned that I'm doing this through HAR, so no. When I do I only get homes listed by HAR agents, so the data would be completely unreliable and not representative of reality, nor would the sample size be sufficient.

Red Pear, can you?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
AggieFanatic09 said:

Looks like the MetroTex BoR posted their data too. Here is for the entire MLS....similar story. Closed sales down just under 20%, but median pricing is actually up 4%.

I'll run reports for those specific counties later tonight.

[img][/img]
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
mazag08 said:

AggieFanatic09 said:

I should have mentioned that I'm doing this through HAR, so no. When I do I only get homes listed by HAR agents, so the data would be completely unreliable and not representative of reality, nor would the sample size be sufficient.

Red Pear, can you?
Yes sir, we cover the areas served by the Houston, DFW, Austin, San Antonio, and BCS multiple listing services. I'll post additional data as it goes live.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Bryan College Station May Data

https://www.bcsrealtor.com/index.php?src=gendocs&ref=AreaHousingStatistics&category=forConsumers&link=AreaHousingStatistics

Diggity
AG
truly a tale of two cities!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.