Real Estate
Sponsored by

Homebuilders in BCS

3,786 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 4lilmonkeys
waltonloads11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking to build a home in BCS. I know Stylecraft is popular. I'm looking into a few others as well.

Does anyone have any experience with Oakwood Custom Homebuilders?
CEAg78
AG
Friend worked for them briefly. Perceived them as crooked.
KC_Ag14
AG
What's the price point of the home you're looking to build? That will be a big piece on who fits best. I'm a local lender who's worked with a lot of the builders and know who's good on timelines and communication.
waltonloads11
AG
$200k to $300k. Looking to stay around or under $250K. I am looking to build in the Autumn Lake area in Bryan.
ringrit
We built a home with Oakwood in 2017. What would you like to know?
KC_Ag14
AG
I would go with RNL. They're building homes there now - little higher quality material and design than Stylecraft from what I've been told.

If I can help with financing, don't hesitate to reach out! 979-203-3184 call/text
waltonloads11
AG
We were going to go with RNL initially, but just missed the boat on the 4 bedroom floor plans. All remaining plans left are 3 bedrooms.
waltonloads11
AG
Just wanted to know about the customer service, turn around, and overall process. Like step 1, step 2, etc.

The approach is a little bit different from Stylecraft and RNL. They have a ton of floor plans to pick from, but don't know the base price so we are unsure if we are going to spend more than we want with a certain floor plan with the design we want.
ThreatLevel: Midnight
AG
I believe Caldwell Homes (a division of Caldwell Development) is building in the area now. May be worth looking into their homes as well.
Thanks & Gig 'Em
MTTANK
AG
Froehling homes for the win, in that price range anyways. Far superior home to a stylecraft IMO with engineered foundations, etc. Also, they are good hometown people and incredibly nice. I liked that they did not upcharge me and nickel and dime me for every little upgrade. I would push the budget closer to 300k and build exactly what you want.
GIG 'EM
4lilmonkeys
ringrit
We had looked at an Oakwood house with a floor plan we liked in a neighborhood we liked, so we knew going in what the ballpark price was going to be.

Overall, they build a good house. When we built, the person we worked with in all the designing and selections was the owner's daughter. She was knowledgeable about the process and had been working with him for 5 years, but she was a little disorganized at times. She left the company shortly after our house was complete, so I don't know who is the person doing that for them now.

Also, during the process, in the beginning, we were working with one job foreman and part way in, he left and they didn't tell us. That was a little frustrating. The person they got to replace him was fantastic and we wished we had been working with him the entire time. He is no longer with the company either.

My husband is pretty knowledgeable about houses and construction, and we walked through our house during the build and it seemed like we had to correct them about a few things going on.

Alton, the owner, is a very nice guy and knows a lot about building, but I don't think (I don't know for sure though) that he ever walked through our house as it was being built. He depends mostly on his foremen to take care of things and I don't know if that is always a good thing.

From the very start of the build to the end, it took about 6 months. Overall, we are happy with our house, but the process definitely could have been smoother.

My sister and her family are building with RNL and they have been very pleased with the process and with RNL!
waltonloads11
AG
Thanks for this. It answers a lot of questions. Would you recommend them to a friend/relative or use them again?
ringrit
Honestly, probably not. Or yes, but just be prepared for what you are getting into. I don't think they are bad builders and wouldn't hesitate to live in another one of their houses, but the process was just very frustrating. And since I have no idea who is working for them now, I really can't say if they are any better or worse.

Maybe it was just us and we were TOO involved in the process and what was going on. Possibly a family that had no clue about building wouldn't know any differently and would have a totally different experience!
crappydad
Check out the guys at Ambit Homes. Their customer service is beyond any other I have experienced in the BCS area! Always available, answers questions quickly, tons of plans to choose from and to modify. Seem to be in the middle of the pack on costs but build-out is a cut above. I would give them a shot at what you are after.
IWannaGoFast1
AG
4lilmonkeys
Just now saw this! Email sent!
IWannaGoFast1
AG
4lilmonkeys
Ah, yep just caught my mistake.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.