Real Estate
Sponsored by

Barndominium build

1,895 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AggieAces06
ShawnTxAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone know of any local builders in the B/CS area that do these at an affordable rate? My little one is finishing up daycare this spring and the extra income will allow for us to finally make a move on either a home on land or purchase land and start from scratch. Realistically i need something affordable, but i don't want to do modular or single wide trailer type living. This will be my first home and I don't want to make a decision i will regret twenty plus years down the road. Advice, criticism and or help are all appreciated.
AggieAces06
AG
We looked at doing a barndo last year but were told that they were starting to become just as expensive as a regular house due to metal prices going up.

This may have changed, but I would recommend talking to a few different builders and see what they feel the difference between the two would be.
LSB_2002
AG
AggieAces06 said:

We looked at doing a barndo last year but were told that they were starting to become just as expensive as a regular house due to metal prices going up.

This may have changed, but I would recommend talking to a few different builders and see what they feel the difference between the two would be.
We did some high level pricing of a barndo several years back and decided that it depends completely on your finishes.

If you can do a lot of the work on your own......you'll save money. If you want your barndo to look like the ones all over the internet, then you better prepare to pony up some cash!
cityagboy
AG
I would be careful and look at what resale on a barndo would look like. Many people might completely skip over the listing when they see barndo.

Of course if you plan on living in the house for 10+ years it doesn't really matter.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
I think it also depends on the percentage of the building you plan to finish. If you are finishing out the majority of the building, the price to a wood framed house is comparable. If you are finishing out less, then you can save some money especially if you finish out part of it yourself.
ShawnTxAg
AG
Thanks for all the input yall
OldSoully
Homeowners insurance can be a little pricey on this if your not careful.
AggieAces06
AG
TomballAg95 said:

I think it also depends on the percentage of the building you plan to finish. If you are finishing out the majority of the building, the price to a wood framed house is comparable. If you are finishing out less, then you can save some money especially if you finish out part of it yourself.

Most definitely. We also ran into the fact that we are within City limits and would still have to have everything up to City code. The costs came out to be roughly the same.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.