Real Estate
Sponsored by

HOA powers in Texas

8,482 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dcAg
BoDog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I am dealing with certain ancillary demands/threats from my HOA that they are requiring and I completely disagree with.

What's the worst that can happen other than a lien if I give them the middle finger? I thought I read somewhere that a few years ago the state legislature really restricted their powers.

Would I need to formally file suit to get the lien removed? I cannot imagine them wanting to spend money to contest, but nothing would surprise me.
dallasiteinsa02
Need a little more details. What money is owed to the HOA? Unpaid assessments or they are going to make the repair and bill you or something else?
BoDog
AG
No, its an issue with the archetectual review board. They don't agree that an arbor on the side of my house is flushed with the roof line.
dallasiteinsa02
They probably don't have the ability to lien you then. Unless the CC&Rs or Declaration contemplate monetary damages.

Did you submit the improvement to the ARB and make the improvement according to the submital?

As someone that has been on the other side from you. ARB will typically issue a notice of noncompliance to you and the HOA. When you go to sell, this will be told to the buyer by the HOA If it falls through the cracks, they will notify the buyer after the transaction. The buyer may have recourse against you for failing to disclose the issue.
AggiePlaya
AG
Read the HOA docs. It may say that any non-compliant architecture changes can be fixed by HOA and billed to the homeowner if not remedied by homeowner.

If you added the arbor recently, did you follow the steps for getting it 'approved' or was the arbor there already when you purchased?
BoDog
AG
Honestly there are a few in the neighborhood already so I really didn't even think to formally submit it. Once I did submit (as a formality) they denied it. Now its a staring contest.
BoDog
AG
Not sure AggiePlaya what you mean exactly, however, if someone comes on my property to fix, remove, adjust, etc that may result in them facing down the barrel of my 12 gauge.
BoDog
AG
Not a lawyer, but I'd assume any state laws would supercede any bi-laws/guidelines? No?
dallasiteinsa02
I would talk with them. The more you wall off and try to ignore them the worst it will be. Figure out who on the board is the most logical and work out the details. Fall on the sword about not getting the approval, but ask them to review it as it is built. If there is a standard for arbors in the neighborhood, that is fine, but most ARBs review things on a per case basis. It is rare that two situations are exactly the same regardless of how homeowners try to use their neighbors situation to warrant a similar ruling. If there is a written standard, make sure that you have met that standard.
BoDog
AG
I've tried the communication and dialogue, but nobody on the review committee will return my calls. Now it goes to a close door meeting of he Board (which is made up of several spouses on the review committee).
dallasiteinsa02
State laws would but it is rare that there are state laws that are related. It is the reason that the flag pole issue became such a major issue that the state stepped in to write a law.

They are not going to access your property to do anything. It is not worth it to the HOA. It has to be pretty much a vacant house that is falling down before the HOA's counsel would recommend that course of action and in most cases they recommend using the City to condemn it first.

You have to remember that in most cases HOAs don't have the wealth to fight these matters or even enforce their rights. That is why they go the passive aggressive route of demand letters and effecting the sale of the home by failing to disclose.

The Original AG 76
AG
I would drive around the hood and see if you can find examples of similar " violations". The easiest way to foil HOA overreaches is to prove that they are either not enforcing the rules in their entirety or simply being arbitrary. Either thing will , by law, abrogate the restriction(s). I had my HOA raise hell about my front yard trees until I traveled the hood and found over 20 other yards with virtually the same issue. I talked a number of these neighbors and discovered that ALL of their trees were planted by the builder over 20 years ago, no one ever complained, so I simply presented this to the management company WITH a threat to lawyer up and challenge the entire deed restriction package for numerous un-enforced or randomly enforced covenants which would cause holy hell for the HOA. They agreed to forget their " issue " if I kindly dropped my " issue".
I think you can easily find numerous non-compliance events all over your hood to use as a battering ram.
I believe in HOA's and think they serve a very needed purpose UNLESS they revert into hood-nazis...as many do.
BoDog
AG
Yes, I am tempted to simply threaten an install of a flag pole and solar panels. I agree that HOAs serve a purpose, but I am also 110% for individual property rights.
This is the correct answer.
Post removed:
by user
ChoppinDs40
AG
And depending on who sits in the board, this may be very, very easy.

Civilians are lawyers too.
Deats99
AG
It all depends on the powers you agreed to when you bought.
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton
BoDog
AG
Being under the previous assumption that they don't have/want to spend $$ in litigation, I find the injunction, jail time, etc hard to believe. Even so, ill take my chances. Throwing me in jail would publicly be the end of HOAs as we know it. Just my 2 cents.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Don't be so sure of yourself.

Individual members of the community can come after you. If you are in violation of the HOA by violating deed restrictions, anyone can bring suit.

My father spent 5 days in jail for violation of HOA deed restrictions. HOA is still alive and thriving. The case was brought by a devil reincarnated neighbor 3 houses down.
BoDog
AG
AggieFanatic, if your story is true (and I have no doubt it is) then its another sad example of the state of our society.

I thought we were living in America-not Nazi Germany.
AggiePlaya
AG
Anyone who disagrees with any of the known deed restrictions should never buy a house in that location. If you reviewed the restrictions and still decided to buy, you ought not be surprised when there is repercussion for violations.

BoDog, your situation is more of a gray area because the HOA committee isn't really using a specific deed restriction like "No recreational vehicles shall be parked"...it is the general "opinion" of the committee that your arbor shouldn't be flush with the roof or whatever so I would definitely push back
ChoppinDs40
AG
Some restrictions are very easy to interpret. Some not so much.

There was a thread on our situation on this board months ago so I don't want to go into details but any time a lawyer gets involved, interpretations are left up to a judge who is an elected official in the state of Texas.

We should have fought harder for a change in venue but We thought we had a layup case. Guess not.

BoDog - good luck. The voyage you're about to embark on is going to likely be a tremultuous, frustrating and time consuming one.
Post removed:
by user
BoDog
AG
Not sure I am going to ignore, but what I am going to do is mention that I am shopping flag poles for the front yard and solar panels for the roof and maybe we can "work" something out where I conveniently decide not to explore those options....
Aggiemike96
AG
AggiePlaya said:

"No recreational vehicles shall be parked"
Found this on my HOA's website last week.

HOA To Pay $300K For Disability Discrimination
AggiePlaya
AG
Aggiemike96 said:

AggiePlaya said:

"No recreational vehicles shall be parked"
Found this on my HOA's website last week.

HOA To Pay $300K For Disability Discrimination
Well that's nice, if I ever get disabled I'm buying an RV!
Deats99
AG
I am not a proponent of HOA's but we live in one with deed restrictions. I somehow have gotten onto the board and have found myself as the sole remaining board member due to attrition. I have researched the hell out of it and talked to a lot of real estate lawyer buddies and gotten scared enough to take advantage of some retained attorneys our management company pays for.

What I have learned is that if they are deed based, and have any form of community property, do not eff with them. Sure you could go into litigation but as much as you would think they do not want to go there or pay for it, they are typically heavily over-insured and those *******s get off on it. So they slap you with a fine, then a lien, then collection charges, then legal charges, $#!+ gets out of hand quickly. My advice would be to kiss whoever's ass you need to in order to get your arbor approved. If you can't then there is likely some basis in the CC&R's that they are using. If that is the case, you will need to figure it out.

Now some will say "they cannot foreclose" not true, they can foreclose, they have to remove any superior liens in order to do so. If you piss them off bad enough they can and might do it. Sure you will get your due process in court, but plead your case to yourself and decide what a judge would rule. Remember you agreed to the HOA when you purchased. You have benefited in quality of life and property appreciation. You bypassed the Arch review committee, you built your arbor out of compliance, you stuck your middle finger up when they challenged you. OK so you are not going to move, and they are not going to foreclose. You still have a lien on your house that will be dealt with the next time you touch your mortgage.

What you run into with these as some posters have mentioned is consistency. I guarantee the HOA has talked to an attorney, and he has informed them that they must stay consistent to avoid setting bad precedents and the appearance of any of the -ism's. Ignore your lack of permission or architectural style and they have set precedent.

A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton
Bassmaster
AG
AggiePlaya said:

Anyone who disagrees with any of the known deed restrictions should never buy a house in that location.

It's not so much the restrictions themselves that end up causing the problems, it's the interpretation and selective enforcement of those restrictions that typically result in problems.
NoahAg
You bought a home in a deed-restricted neighborhood, and violated the rules. I'm not sure what your grievance is.
The Collective
AG
I know a guy who took a laissez-faire approach to his HOA and pretty much spouted off threats back to them, and now 5 years later... it has pretty much ruined him financially. You never know what's on the other side of the HOA. In his case, it was a petty semi-retired attorney who had no problem escalating the situation. Sucks. I'm sure it is rare, but the worst case scenario sucks.
Lone Stranger
You gotta love people that sign real estate contracts in an HOA and then don't want to operate within the contract rules they supposedly said they would abide by. Makes you wonder what other contracts they act like weasels and crooks on. Stories from HOAs around the state people tell where homeowners don't think the rules apply to them are easily one of the bigger things that makes people all over the country think the state is filled with ignorant necks.

ChoppinDs40
AG
Everyone should lay off the guy.

I'm sure when he bought the house he said "hey some day I'm going to build an arbor and attach it to my house but I'm not going to make it flush with my house - YAH THATLL SHOW THEM!"

These issues are always hindsight. Now, when thhe HOA says your roof has to be colored weathered wood, that's different.
Aggiemike96
AG
Tough crowd on the RE board lately. ThirdCoast had a thread a few weeks ago that was beaten up too. But, that's part of the reason I come here, the brutally honest comments.
Deats99
AG
I did not mean too bash on him, but I just wanted him to understand that the new breed of HOA has some pretty ugly teeth and no one wins but the lawyers. One of my first forced orders of business on the HOA was to have the same kind of Heart to Heart with a guy i know down the street. The old management company beat him up pretty bad and he said screw it on his $400 a year HOA fees. That little fit has grown in 5 years to a $5000 gorilla that our attorney's say we have to begin acting on or we might lose our mandate to enforce payment. Crappy discussion that I am sure will end up with several thousand in legal fees for him, and several thousand for us that will in turn be billed to him as collection costs. So in summary all i want to say is don't eff with these guys and take them seriously.

At a case law level:
I think the most benefit would come from removing any notion that the precedence of unchallenged violations is a defense. If that were the case, the HOA's and their attorneys would likely be less ugly about perusing these actions.
-George S Patton
Rexter
Just do what you have to do to get it fixed or approved. If it gets sideways, the HOA is spending your, and your neighbors, money. You will prolly run out of money before the HOA does.

Our HOA is about to drop the hammer on 20 or so properties for non-payment. That will be as fun as a toothache.

There was a guy in or HOA that wanted to leave his boat in his driveway, which is in violation of the CC&Rs. It ended up being a pecker measuring contest between the HOA and him. He lost to the tune of close to $10K in fines, atty fees, and court costs. He ended up filing bankruptcy.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.