Real Estate
Sponsored by

Hobby Ranch

2,355 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Two Gun Corcoran
Poncho_Nuts
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am looking to buy a small farm/ranch to move to someday. I am thinking anywhere from 100 acres minimum to hopefully around 200 acres. I want it to be in the central Texas area, no specific place. I like all the country from Hamilton all the way to Falls County. I am from far west Texas in the Davis Mountains and I love the area but we run 1 cow to 40 acres out here. I will never be able to buy a place out here where I can run 30-50 head of mother cows. I was told the best investment property is in the hill country west of 35. Same person said the better cow country is east of 35 but doesn't appreciate near as fast as the land does west of 35. Do you agree with this? I am looking to spend between $600k-$750,000. Any input would be appreciated. I am looking forward to living in a place that it rains a little more and there is green grass other than July-September (if we are lucky). Not having to deal with toxic weeds like we do out here will be nice too. Let me know what area or county would be a good place to buy. Thanks in advance!
powerbiscuit
I was looking at land for sale north/northwest of DFW that was well within your price range, but a little north of where you are looking.
96ags
AG
You will either need to adjust your acreage up or your cow numbers down.

Central Texas just won't carry that many cattle year-round. I think you'll find most people figure 12-15 acres/unit in that area of the state.

You get in to more black-land/farming type land east of 35 with more hills/rocks to the west so your carrying capacity as well as rainfall will certainly be better the further east you go.

Probably some truth to the appreciation factor of land on the western side of 35 due to all the weekend ranchettes that are being bought up within easy driving distance of San Antonio/Austin/DFW.

You are sure leaving a pretty part of the world.
texrover91
AG
Just saw a ranch listing Comanche - 400ac in the $950k range so from a price per acre standpoint you might be in range. Attractive property too.

Bill Robbins
AG
Lands of Texas
agtex09
AG
East Texas is by far the best place to run cattle. East Texas gets much more rain than west Texas and that along with the clay/sand soil promotes good grass growth. Also, with the extra rain, creeks, rivers, and ponds retain a healthy water level on an average year. If you are interested in Falls county, I would also suggest Limestone, Freestone, Milam, Robertson, and Leon. These are neighboring counties to the east of Falls. The price per acre is manageable, and land is always a good investment. If you would like to discuss further, feel free to contact me.

plowboy1065
S
Andrus Farm & Ranch Properties
Poncho_Nuts
Thanks! All great tips. I'm not in a hurry. Going to take my time and hopefully the right place will show up.
Two Gun Corcoran
AG
If you're thinking north-western hill country:

From an appreciation standpoint there are good values to be had in Llano & Mason counties at your price point. Finding a place with good water is the trick. Cheaper acreage in San Saba or McCollugh but not as much investment value. Gillespe & Burnet are probably already too high for what you're wanting to do.

Also has been a wet year out here & is as green as I've seen it. Lots of grass. Full tanks. Keep this in mind when you're looking at places as it won't always be this way.

Happy to help if this neighborhood interests you. Lots of good Ags out here
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.