HOF'er hired as Asst @ Kentucky

2,407 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by aggiedrjdub
GmanAgs2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kentucky has hired Gail Goestenkors as an asst. The coaching in this league was already good... First Mulkey, now Gail...yikes!
Gap
AG
We can only answer this by getting Andy Landers out of the studio and back on the sideline.
91AggieLawyer
AG
If she wants to coach, she could probably have the Baylor job.
BQ_90
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

didn't she flame out in Austin?
91AggieLawyer
AG
BQ_90 said:

91AggieLawyer said:

She went 102-64 with tournament appearances every year (though only 1 win). That probably wasn't what they wanted but I wouldn't call that "flaming out." Aston had better results, but that was after conference realignment and we went to the SEC.

Who should Baylor go after?
BQ_90
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

BQ_90 said:

91AggieLawyer said:

She went 102-64 with tournament appearances every year (though only 1 win). That probably wasn't what they wanted but I wouldn't call that "flaming out." Aston had better results, but that was after conference realignment and we went to the SEC.

That's flaming out at Texas. Let me ask you this, would that be acceptable here? I would bet BU wouldn't be too happy with that either.

No clue I haven't thought who BU should go after. Because is BU an elite program or where they elite because of Kim? I'd go after the Iowa State coach in conference,

maybe Arky coach but not sure that's a step up for him.

If the UK coach that retired for medical reasons is now medically clear, maybe him.

I don't think UGA coach would leave, Dawn isn't leaving. don't see the Louisville coach leaving for BU.

Could they money whip the Arizona coach?

Problem is I don't have any clue who would want to come to Baylor. I don't think the place makes that job elite, I think the previous coach made that place elite.
91AggieLawyer
AG
BQ_90 said:

91AggieLawyer said:

BQ_90 said:

91AggieLawyer said:

That's flaming out at Texas. Let me ask you this, would that be acceptable here? I would bet BU wouldn't be too happy with that either.

She was only there 5 years. Blair's first 5 years here weren't much better, though we did have an Elite Eight appearance in his fifth. However, he won the EXACT SAME number of games she did -- 102 -- in pretty much the same conference setup. I'll concede he took over a program in worse shape, but not by a whole lot. t.u. hadn't made the tournament in the 2 years prior to her taking the job. I know some would say we were WAY more than that removed from sniffing any NCAA tournament games, but as Blair showed, you can build (or destroy for that matter) a basketball program in a pretty short time. If its true that Gail flamed out at t.u., so did Conradt, at least, at the end.

So essentially, her record WAS acceptable here because Blair more or less duplicated it.

Plus, in her last 10 years at Duke, her worst finish was the Sweet Sixteen. I'd be inclined to believe that something was wrong at t.u. (or, at least, the fit between her and t.u.) than it was with her alone. So, the question is, has the game passed her by? Maybe, but if I were AD and there was an opening, I'd interview her if she was interested. Would I take her and her t.u. record? I'd want the Duke record, of course, but Aston didn't win a title at t.u. Conradt only won 1 -- the same number Blair has won here -- in over 30 years there! You want better tournament performances than first round losses, and you want teams that don't lose to higher (number) seeded teams consistently. You can't hire a coach to win titles. Hopefully they will, but the best you can do is hire one that will put you in position to win one. Gail G. did nothing BUT that at Duke. Some would argue she wasn't given the time to do it at t.u. I don't know if that's true or not, but if I were making a decision, I'd sure like to hear her side of the story.

Everyone in the football program assumes Jimbo will get us to national championship level because he did it at FSU. Even though he only did it there once. With a QB he (somehow) managed to keep out of trouble and who fit his system to a T. If its true in that case, it has to be true in women's basketball, right? (Yes, this is hyperbole, at least to some extent, but I'm wondering how many people would leave this forum dissing Gail G. and go over to the football forum and praise Jimbo).

She knows how to run a program. Maybe she was loyal to bad assistants at t.u. Maybe she underestimated A&M or other Texas state opponents in recruiting and didn't have a good plan. Maybe Austin is just a bad place for certain people (I know it would be for me). Who knows. I disagree that first and second round losses are "flaming out," though I can see how they would be grounds for not renewing a contract at certain places, including here. But if being fired by t.u. was grounds for not being hired by anyone, someone should tell Tennessee they shouldn't have hired Rick Barnes or UNC they shouldn't have hired Mac Brown. Go for it. Other than a few fans who want someone they can't get, I don't think they'll listen.
greg.w.h
AG
If they're paying $2.5 million they can get practically anyone..,
aggiedrjdub
AG
greg.w.h said:

If they're paying $2.5 million they can get practically anyone..,

I agree with this. If you are paying $2.5m and your new coach promises national championships in her press conference, I can promise that the expectation is national championships. And I don't see anything wrong with setting those expectations up front along with a timeframe. You have 5-7 years to build us a Baylor level program or you're out.
BQ_90
AG
Wrong thread
JimbosNattyTrophy
AG
BQ_90 said:

91AggieLawyer said:

BQ_90 said:

91AggieLawyer said:

No clue I haven't thought who BU should go after. Because is BU an elite program or where they elite because of Kim? I'd go after the Iowa State coach in conference,

maybe Arky coach but not sure that's a step up for him.

If the UK coach that retired for medical reasons is now medically clear, maybe him.

I don't think UGA coach would leave, Dawn isn't leaving. don't see the Louisville coach leaving for BU.

Could they money whip the Arizona coach?

Problem is I don't have any clue who would want to come to Baylor. I don't think the place makes that job elite, I think the previous coach made that place elite.
even if they whipped out the check book, I don't see Barnes leaving Arizona... ever.

However, I wouldn't mind seeing Neighbors leave the conference
aggiedrjdub
AG
Wonder if GB would go after Bill Brock from Baylor?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.