Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Anyone scooping up these stocks yet?

6,098 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by one MEEN Ag
McKinney Ag69
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cruise Lines
Norwegian Cruise Lines
Royal Caribbean
Carnival

Airlines
American Airlines
United
Delta
Southwest
Air Canada

Hotels
Marriot
Hilton
Hyatt
MGM Resorts International
Wynn Resorts
Park Hotels
Wyndham Hotels and Resorts
Eldorado Resorts

Restaurants
Darden Restaurants

Misc
Expedia
Six Flags
Booking Holdings

tam2002
AG
I'm in no rush to get cruise stocks. Those things are going lower. I need to know they are gonna make it before/if I get in. If I catch it on the upswing so be it
Post removed:
by user
Tumble Weed
I own zero of those individually.

Didn't like them before the crisis, don't like them during it.

My corona picks have been BSX, PFE, ALXN, and BABA.

Edit: Made a quick buck on JD and jumped ship.
austinAG90
AG
That's going to be a ton of pain.
McKinney Ag69
AG
austinAG90 said:

That's going to be a ton of pain.
In reference to what in particular? The market usually comes back stronger after a crisis has abated. Just a matter of time. There's evidence throughout history. See WW2, JFK assassination, Nixon leaves office, 9/11, 2008 Global Financial Crisis. Besides, this is just a portion set aside for fun. 95% of my investments are in long term, diversified mutual funds, Roth, and 401K.
deadbq03
AG
If you're gonna go this route, why not grab a couple ETFs or mutual funds. God forbid you pick the airline or cruise line that folds while all the others rebound...

JETS - airline ETF
AWAY - diverse travel; brand new ETF, so good luck!
PEJ or FDLSX - broad spectrum diversification across lots of leisure sectors; both of these performed favorably compared to SPX over the past decade, so getting them while they're beat down might be a good idea (but I'm with others... I don't think the beatings are done).
spongeboob_squaresharts
AG
As someone who lost a ton of money in CCL puts over the last couple weeks, I'd hold off. The bottom is yet to come.
Exsurge Domine
I don't think anyone is going to be super excited about going on a cruise for a while until the vaccine comes out.
HSEAG13
Exsurge Domine said:

I don't think anyone is going to be super excited about going on a cruise for a while until the vaccine comes out.

Curious why you assume that's the case? I'd be willing to bet more people would be thinking they are going to get a good deal on cruises as they are offering cheaper rates to bring back consumers. Not saying it's right or wrong, but as consumers we have shown that we have short memories.
Exsurge Domine
HSEAG13 said:

Exsurge Domine said:

Curious why you assume that's the case? I'd be willing to bet more people would be thinking they are going to get a good deal on cruises as they are offering cheaper rates to bring back consumers. Not saying it's right or wrong, but as consumers we have shown that we have short memories.

Pure speculation, I don't think this thing will completely die out until we get a vaccine, and I believe some form of social distancing will apply until that happens, even if there isn't a complete lockdown
ATM9000
AG
I'm in the market and not just sitting on cash. Some of those companies will survive and some won't.

I personally wouldn't take a concentrated position in one of them until Q3 so I can start seeing what their cash, liquidity and balance sheets look like after all the shenanigans companies do to make those look good inevitably fade and you start seeing the real picture. You won't see it in Q1 still, but as credit ratings decline and revolvers start both getting more expensive and drying up, some of these companies are gonna start looking filthier than they do now.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Buy them all and go big, all the bad news is already priced in.....
FrontPorchAg
Cruise Lines - stay away. They are dead in the water

Airlines - With everything in the market why? They are way down and they will survive but if I don't see a rush to buy back in. If you are a long term investor you can make way more money someplace else.

Hotels - pick the best two in your book. I would want the ones with the most cash reserves and least debt already in place.

Restaurants - don't know anything about them

Misc - Expedia seems like a great bet on the surface financials pending.

ETA - you might look at Booking.com over Expedia. They own Kayak, Priceline and Open Table. The restaurant play will open back up before the travel.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
sharkAg
AG
BSX aid a great pick. I work for them...
dallasiteinsa02
Mtn_Guide said:

Cruise Lines - stay away. They are dead in the water

Airlines - With everything in the market why? They are way down and they will survive but if I don't see a rush to buy back in. If you are a long term investor you can make way more money someplace else.

Hotels - pick the best two in your book. I would want the ones with the most cash reserves and least debt already in place.

Restaurants - don't know anything about them

Misc - Expedia seems like a great bet on the surface financials pending.

I wouldn't touch cruise lines. They are all based out of other countries for tax and liability reasons. They don't employ Americans. The government is not stepping in to help them with the airlines, hotels, and restaurants needing money and support.
Tumble Weed
sharkAg said:

BSX aid a great pick. I work for them...
BSX and MDT ( I know, a competitor) will come out smelling like a rose. I missed a bit of the dip on MDT, but I am bullish on both. Wife works with both vendors. I like both long term, but I picked up BSX at a huge bargain. BSX still looks like a great buy today. Might buy some more.
FrontPorchAg
Quote:

I wouldn't touch cruise lines. They are all based out of other countries for tax and liability reasons. They don't employ Americans. The government is not stepping in to help them with the airlines, hotels, and restaurants needing money and support.
I would add that one or more is likely to go bankrupt. Even if you pick the right one the problem is that it's going to take so long for them to come back that any money you commit to them will be so long you will miss out on other opportunities. Opportunity cost here is a real thing.
sdc177
AG
I recently picked up some LUV.
tam2002
AG
If y'all are really wanting to bet on a cruise line I think CCL has the best chance of survival. But like everyone is saying there's so many better blue chips to throw your money in right now
FrontPorchAg
sdc177 said:

I recently picked up some LUV.
Not disagreeing with you because I think it will be the best of class, but why now? It seems like these prices will be stagnant for some time.
Mas89
AG
Caveat emptor.
Mas89
AG
Enjoy your money. Gtfo of this market and put a pool in your back yard. Or buy a boat.
TombstoneTex
AG
Mas89 said:

Or buy a boat.
Do it!
Mas89
AG
Got both. YOLO.
SpecAg08
AG
I rebalanced my portfolio back to my target asset allocation (75 stock/25 bond) and changed my 401k contributions to be 100% total stock market index fund. I'll let that ride through the summer and go from there.

Small meaningful adjustments. I don't have the time or appetite for individual stocks or day trading.
Bobaloo
Everyone has an opinion. For those who watch Squawk Box and contributor Mohamed A. El-Erian, the dude has been nails on this since day one. He advised caution this AM as this thing plays out. Predicts massive pain for those businesses with heavy debt and not much cash on hand. For those who feel the need to invest, go in 1/5 increments perhaps starting on a major pullback in April and only in those businesses with cash on hand. He does think the worst is not behind us.
ATM9000
AG
Bobaloo said:

Everyone has an opinion. For those who watch Squawk Box and contributor Mohamed A. El-Erian, the dude has been nails on this since day one. He advised caution this AM as this thing plays out. Predicts massive pain for those businesses with heavy debt and not much cash on hand. For those who feel the need to invest, go in 1/5 increments perhaps starting on a major pullback in April and only in those businesses with cash on hand. He does think the worst is not behind us.

Agree with all of this but don't underestimate levers companies pull to create cash on hand. That's why I wouldn't do a thing until next earnings cycle. If/when downgrades and defaults start to happen for companies, those levers start magically disappearing.
FrontPorchAg
This is true for the majority of the market, but I think you can find good companies now that have plenty of cash on hand and low debt. CMG is a good example who is trading 35% below December highs.
Baby Billy
AG
All of the cruise lines will make it

All of the airlines will make it

All of the hotels will make it

The comment above about "why would you buy these if you're a long-term investor" makes zero sense. You buy them for the sole reason that you are a long term investor.

This is not the end of the world.

This time next year, you'll wish you had bought CCL at $11
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
El-Erian is one of the only people I listen to that makes the regular media rounds. Dude is a smart MF and likes to help everyone.
sherminator
ehrmantraut said:

All of the cruise lines will make it

All of the airlines will make it

All of the hotels will make it

The comment above about "why would you buy these if you're a long-term investor" makes zero sense. You buy them for the sole reason that you are a long term investor.

This is not the end of the world.

This time next year, you'll wish you had bought CCL at $11
Yeah, they'll make it. None of them will go the bankruptcy route?
TxAG#2011
Isn't the government just going to lend the cruise lines money? Also, with the ability of the rapid testing won't cruises be able to properly screen everyone before they get onboard?
jagvocate
AG
salmon_says said:

As someone who lost a ton of money in CCL puts over the last couple weeks, I'd hold off. The bottom is yet to come.

It's not the bottom until everyone is sick of stocks and people get mad at you for suggesting it's time to invest again.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.