Business & Investing
Sponsored by

New to S-corp, should I use Form 1120 & 1065 for employee's W2

1,005 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SmallBusiness
SmallBusiness
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My business obtained S-corp status this year. I typically do the W-2s myself. Should I switch to form 1120 for my employees?

ABATTBQ11
AG
Are they employees, or owners? If they're employees, W2 as I understand it. I am an owner in an employee owned s corp. I get a W2 for wages and a K1 for ownership income.
SmallBusiness
Thank you.

My question is the type of W2 for employees. In the past I selected form "1065" for W2s, but now I wonder if I should use the 1120-S type for W2 for employees.

I am not looking forward to the K-1 process, at least the CPA will handle it.
OldArmyBrent
AG
1065 is a partnership return and the K-1s are different than the K-1s for an 1120S. Not sure what you're selecting here, but I would assume you want to be consistent with the s-corp return you're filing. Was the S election effective at the beginning of the year?
SmallBusiness
OldArmyBrent said:

1065 is a partnership return and the K-1s are different than the K-1s for an 1120S. Not sure what you're selecting here, but I would assume you want to be consistent with the s-corp return you're filing. Was the S election effective at the beginning of the year?
Yes for 2019 it was effective at the beginning of the year. I should have done it in 2018, but didn't file the election in time.

This is a question pertaining to the W-2 that I am providing for my employees. My CPA will do the K-1 for me, but for my employees, I think I am going to select the 1120 / 1120s option rather than the 1065 option.
30wedge
SmallBusiness said:

OldArmyBrent said:

Yes for 2019 it was effective at the beginning of the year. I should have done it in 2018, but didn't file the election in time.

This is a question pertaining to the W-2 that I am providing for my employees. My CPA will do the K-1 for me, but for my employees, I think I am going to select the 1120 / 1120s option rather than the 1065 option.
Maybe I am just dense (very possible) but I don't understand what you are meaning when you say "select." A W-2 is a W-2, whether issued by a partnership, C corp, or S corp.
gigemhilo
AG
Im not sure what he/she is referring to either, but if it asks you 1065 or 1120S, then chose 1120s
ABATTBQ11
AG
30wedge said:

SmallBusiness said:

OldArmyBrent said:

Maybe I am just dense (very possible) but I don't understand what you are meaning when you say "select." A W-2 is a W-2, whether issued by a partnership, C corp, or S corp.

This. It's my understanding that the 1065 and 1120s refer to the business's filing. The W2 for the employee is the same W2 regardless of what kind of entity files it.
gigemhilo
AG
I did notice that 1120s and 1065s are asking how many W2s were filed in the tax year as a fraud security measure in e-filing. MAYBE it has something to do with that when W2s are electronically filed?

but if you are just filling out a W2 by hand, then that information is not necessary.
SmallBusiness
Thank you all! This was helpful.

It sounds like it is likely irrelevant for the creation of the W-2. Perhaps the software asks it because it matters when filing them with the IRS.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.