Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Health Savings Account

2,017 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Duncan Idaho
BlueAg2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone else have a mandatory HSA through their employer? When I turn 40, I will be automatically enrolled in an Emeriti Health Account ($75 pretax, matched to the dollar). I'm not exactly sure how I feel about this.
AgLA06
AG
A lot of places it's the only insurance option you have.
SnowboardAg
AG
The HSA is one of my favorite saving vehicles:
1. Max it out.
2. Pay for all medical expenses (if possible) out of pocket. There's no statute of limitations on when you can reimburse yourself so just file them at home and claim it as tax free distributions when you retire or at some year when you want to tap into it. This allow the money to keep compounding.
3. It's pre-tax.

I use it like a 401K - chances are high that your retirement medical expenses will exceed your HSA balance (even if you max it). A few years in long term assisted living and it would deplete it.
chris1515
AG
Good info. I did not realize that about #2.
MGS
Also, after age 65, you can start taking money out of the HSA for any reason. It does not have to be for medical expenses. You're just taxed on the distributions at your normal rate.
Matsui
AG
It is awesome. Use it for tax savings.
redag06
My hsa account does not accrue interest, after gets over 2k I can roll anything over 2k to an ira if I chose.

Once it is an IRA I assume I can pull out principal just the same as any ira ?
gigemhilo
AG
Yes redag - it will be taxable income at that point subject to all the IRA rules (59 1/2 penalty, RMDs, etc.
gigemhilo
AG
SnowboardAg-

ALOT of people dont get this about HSAs - it is like a second IRA. you can even invest it like an IRA depending on what company holds the funds.

also, when you reach your medicare years, it can be converted to an IRA at that point.

We love our HSA and max it out every year. We have 3 kids, though, and will use it for medical expenses. I hope to be able to "put some aside" this year.
Sooner Born
gigemhilo said:

We love our HSA and max it out every year. We have 3 kids, though, and will use it for medical expenses. I hope to be able to "put some aside" this year.
That's us too. Unfortunately we've had to dip into it almost every year we've had it for something relatively expensive..

One thing to be aware of is that most of the HSA managers charge some sort of fee once you stop contributing. So make sure you have a plan if you're going to stop or a plan of what to do when you leave your employer.
BlueAg2003
AG
Well it is mandatory so there is no stopping, but I guess if I left I would have to consider what to do with it.
RightWingConspirator
AG
We have an HSA account in addition to medical insurance, etc. we max it out every year and invest/sweep anything above $1000 into investments. We use to reimburse ourselves for every expense. Now we just eat it with the hopes that one day the HSA account will be far more than what we put into it. Agree with the previous comment: use it like a 401k or IRA.
Duncan Idaho
HSA are great. All of the benefits of a fsa and zerobof the downside and then a rlfew bonuses thrown in on top of it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.