Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Career Limiting Decisions

11,316 Views | 101 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Frok
Waltonloads08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's on your list of things to never do if you actually want to advance in your workplace?

Mine is wearing hoodies in the office. I'm excluding IT types from this, because they are beyond help.

Killin Me Smalls
AG
White socks with dress shoes. GTFO!
Wife is an Aggie
I see this periodically at my office but it is only with the Indian guys....
Bonfire1996
AG
Neck tattoo
Ryan34
AG
Your boss's wife.
AgBank
AG
Backpacks.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Having PronHub pop up on your most visited sites when your boss borrows your computer...
FrioAg 00
AG
Sort of a function of where you stand on the pyramid

I've had jobs where very few behaviors would be seen as limiting. The standard was "shape up and be mostly sober"

I've had jobs where going with a suit that isn't navy or some version of grey would limit your options.

Key is knowing what the unwritten rules really are.
Waltonloads08
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

Having PronHub pop up on your most visited sites when your boss borrows your computer...

Storytime
Frok
AG
Gossip about others with your co-workers. It eventually gets around and you never want to be the person who started or continued it's flow.

Plus when anyone gossips to me I immediately wonder what they say about me when I am not around.

IrishTxAggie
AG
WaltonLoads08 said:

IrishTxAggie said:

Storytime

Not me. Friend of mines ex-coworker. Boss' computer died right before he was getting ready to give a presentation. He grabbed the guy's computer and as he was minimizing all of the open programs to get to PowerPoint, the browser needed to be minimized and it was on the frequent sites tab.
JSKolache
AG
White undershirts for all to see. No one wants to see that mess, get v-necks or go commando
Diggity
AG
commando is dangerous in Houston
AggieFrog
AG
JSKolache said:

White undershirts for all to see. No one wants to see that mess, get v-necks or go commando

No one wants to see chest hair. Crew necks all the way.
redag06
Overly Aggie.
94chem
Never scrawl "revenge" in blood on the whiteboard in the conference room.
380sl
Getting married before you turn 30.
SnowboardAg
AG
Being overly negative or always addressing things as problems is a big one I see. People want solutions and compromise.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Doing anything that would generate #metoo
chris1515
AG
The idea that 5pm is quitting time.

The idea that you are entitled to an hour for lunch.

94chem
380sl said:

Getting married before you turn 30.
In the sense that you need those years to pursue your career with unlimited time and commitment?

Or in the sense that you need to be available to enable your divorced 50-something boss who goes to bars and hits on college girls, takes boondoggle trips to do the same thing, and needs junior employees to enable his behavior?
AcctAg11
AG
Sending passive-aggressive emails to your female boss, despite how much she may deserve it.

She won't forget about that.
380sl
In the sense that your 20's should be a time to make career decisions; whether it be jobs, additional school, etc. Having a spouse and having to take their career, wants, needs, etc., into consideration could cause you to loose or not take opportunities as they arise.

Waltonloads08
AG
AggieFrog said:

JSKolache said:

No one wants to see chest hair. Crew necks all the way.

That's not chest hair, that's neck hair at that point
YouBet
AG
Two things I've seen lately where I made a mental note not to hire these people:

1. Guy was wearing straight up house shoes. Slipper style. At work.

2. Found a guy sleeping on the toilet.
Cancelled
AG
Posting on Texags during work.
cjo03
AG
queso1 said:

Posting on Texags during work.

Nahhhh
MondayMorningQB
AG
YouBet said:

Two things I've seen lately where I made a mental note not to hire these people:

Custodial industry?
YouBet
AG
MondayMorningQB said:

YouBet said:

Custodial industry?

Lol. You would think.
94chem
Whenever there's a new manager, don't miss the chance to take credit for other people's work.
The Original AG 76
AG
94chem said:

Whenever there's a new manager, don't miss the chance to take credit for other people's work.
excellent advice for all phases of employment. possibly the most important key to ultimate success in most organizations anywhere.

Sadly
MouthBQ98
AG
I wear a hoodie every day. My company issues them for field work. Plus our area of the damn building is freezing cold sometimes and that good comes in handy when i'm Freezing while doing CAD work.

Yeah, I'm an ISTP. I don't care to manage people. I like to create things and design and build things. Limits my "career potential", but why would I want to be miserable climbing the ladder away from what I like and am good at?
MouthBQ98
AG
vnecks are for 70's disco stars with gold medallions and groomed chest hair. So uncomfortable.
MouthBQ98
AG
Amen. A VP at our company wanted to set up a help site for a particular type of problem back when he was a second level manager. He ended up contacting me as the SME and I basically drew it out, set up all the structure, menu system, options, links, and then played a role in operating it for a couple of years until we replaced it. He gets a big recognition and award for basically putting a front end on something I was already doing, and using me as the consultant to get that set up. He could have at least mentioned my contribution.
coastalAg
AG
380sl said:

In the sense that your 20's should be a time to make career decisions; whether it be jobs, additional school, etc. Having a spouse and having to take their career, wants, needs, etc., into consideration could cause you to loose or not take opportunities as they arise.

Spelling lose with two o's
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.