Business & Investing
Sponsored by

How many companies do you own?

2,031 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ulrich
SACR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Ronald Read, the gas station jockey/janitor in Vermont who died in June 2014 with a portfolio worth over $8 million, held stocks in 95 companies when he passed.

Read apparently just researched companies he used and was interested in, and continuously bought stocks in companies he liked, believing in the buy-and-hold strategy, and it worked for him.

I know Bogle advises investing in a small portfolio of index funds, and I'm sure that works for a lot of people. However, I'm sure a lot of people like buying stock in companies, and owning part of a company.

How many companies do you own stock in? After reading another article about Read, I looked at my portfolio and counted today. I own 16 companies.

62strat
AG
Outside of mutual funds I own actual shares of amazon, apple, Netflix, att, Xom and under armour. I think that's it.

All will likely not be sold until I'm retiring. UAA probably the exception. I'm about ready to cut my loss.
wheelskjm
AG
Nah
SACR
AG
62strat said:

Outside of mutual funds I own amazon, I own actual shares of amazon, apple, Netflix, att, Xom and under armour. I think that's it.

All will likely not be sold until I'm retiring. UAA probably the exception. I'm about ready to cut my loss.
Did you buy UAA before June of 2016? I'm trying to understand the decision to split twice in 2016, particularly the 1.00709 for 1 split.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Only GE right now
62strat
AG
SACR said:

62strat said:

Outside of mutual funds I own amazon, I own actual shares of amazon, apple, Netflix, att, Xom and under armour. I think that's it.

Did you buy UAA before June of 2016? I'm trying to understand the decision to split twice in 2016, particularly the 1.00709 for 1 split.
I bought it literally a few days before if dove from $30s to $20s. I wanna say January of this year.
I'm pretty bitter. Why the hell could I have not waited a day?

Luckily it's not a whole lot, I think less than $5k.

That last split was the creation of the c class or something wasn't it?
SACR
AG

It looks like they don't pay a dividend, so I'd consider cutting my losses and getting out.
libertyag
AG
I actually "own" and run two companies, one soon to be sold or closed, and will start another, possibly two more, this year.

I am "invested" in 12 or 14 companies (my wife about an equal number). I don't think of these investments as anything that I own since my piece of the pie is so tiny and I do not have any say in how things are done.
Waltonloads08
AG
wheelskjm said:

Own and operate 2 real world businesses.

Own tokens on about 20 different blockchains right now.

What does owning tokens mean?
Ulrich
WaltonLoads08 said:

wheelskjm said:

Own and operate 2 real world businesses.

Own tokens on about 20 different blockchains right now.

What does owning tokens mean?

I'm pretty sure that's been illegal for 150 years.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.