Business & Investing
Sponsored by

How to Pay ourselves as business owners?

1,405 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Wonderer
TheAggieInventor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy, my partner and I are in the process of forming an LLC. We have no employees and will be the governing heads and workers of the business. As the only ones receiving income, we are seeking advice on the best tax advantaged way to pay ourselves either out of profit, or payroll.

Any thoughts?
Thanks and Gig'em
jschroeder
Do you each make more than what would be considered a reasonable salary?

The Wonderer
AG
Reasonable salary for position/type of work/location and the remainder as distributions of proceeds.

This is the general answer.
Bonfire1996
AG
The Wonderer said:

Reasonable salary for position/type of work/location and the remainder as distributions of proceeds.

This is the general answer.
This. Every 3-6 months have a distribution of a certain percentage of the retained profits. Be aware that as you move forward in subsequent years, you may need to pay as much in payroll taxes as you did in the previous year if you grew, or be subject to penalties and interest even if you file on time.
gougler08
AG
I would just get paid in bitcoin
BigPuma
AG
Guaranteed payments for a flat amount a month or whatever regular frequency. Remainder taken as ordinary distributions from a partnership
gigemhilo
AG
agree with Puma. No need to add the complication of payroll in this situation. If you hire employees, THEN you pay yourself a salary.

SG09
AG
seems you should define how the llc should be treated first. all of the above are a mix between 1065 reporting and 1120s reporting. you'll need to pick that before you pick from the responses above. if you're saying "partner" because it's 1065 the guaranteed pants will work.
The Wonderer
AG
SG09 said:

seems you should define how the llc should be treated first. all of the above are a mix between 1065 reporting and 1120s reporting. you'll need to pick that before you pick from the responses above. if you're saying "partner" because it's 1065 the guaranteed pants will work.
I want some of the guaranteed pants! Where can I get some?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.