Considering living overseas? I recommend this video

3,846 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SwissAgg
HollywoodBQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I stumbled on to this YouTube video made by a 30 year old who spent a long time backpacking and bouncing around overseas. I assume she had to come back to the USA in 2020 due to COVID.

I agree with a lot of her takes but there are a few things that she just isn't knowledgeable about, or hasn't considered all the angles.

Anyway, I found this video very interesting and if you're considering raising your kids overseas for any length of time, I highly recommend giving this a watch.

Quick summary - Repatriation can be a huge challenge that shouldn't be overlooked.

XPATAG
AG
Overall would agree with her assessments, and having recently moved back to the US for 3 months before heading back overseas there was some adjustments and weight gain (missed eating bbq and texmex).

If you are thinking about taking kids overseas I would look at reading up on "3rd culture kids". There are some great ted talks and books regarding this subject. We raised 3 kids overseas and the adjustments are more so harder for them than adults. That being said I would do it again in a heartbeat. 2 of them decided to remain in Europe for University and the third is still up in the air (I'm secretly hoping he goes to TAMU).

FlowCtlr
AG
Thanks for sharing. I wonder if she spent any time in the Middle East. Malls are bigger in the Middle East.

I agree with maybe 25% of her commentary. Really wish she would have excluded the commentary though and just stuck with her observations. (Less of her trying to explain why things are the way they are and just tell us what they are)
FC12
For what you all agree with or disagree with, can you point out a few highlights?
I almost moved my family to Yanbu Saudi Arabia...wasn't good timing and I wouldn't pursue an opportunity there any more...Current pathway/trajectory is Switzerland area.
FlowCtlr
AG
I refrained from specifics due to the chance of someone telling me to take it forum 16
SwissAgg
AG
FC12 said:

For what you all agree with or disagree with, can you point out a few highlights?
I almost moved my family to Yanbu Saudi Arabia...wasn't good timing and I wouldn't pursue an opportunity there any more...Current pathway/trajectory is Switzerland area.
You might have trouble getting a work permit here unless you somehow get a job with an American company.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.