82nd Airborne delivers wheelchairs to Iraqi War veterans - tons of pics

5,023 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 15 yr ago by Jock 97
b.blauser
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hi Everyone!

Here’s an update on a recent wheelchair distribution I went out on in Baghdad. Good news, because these missions help win confidence of the Iraqi people for their Iraqi Army and Iraqi Police forces. That means more stability, and the possibility of going home sooner for all Coalition Forces! That's the goal, right? Yep!

Last year, the funds donated for pediatric wheelchairs from all the outstanding media coverage (mostly from the two CNN stories) on Wheelchairs for Iraqi Kids overloaded the South Dakota State Penitentiary factory – they didn’t have the production capacity to handle our order. So Andrew at ROC Wheels and I decided it would be best to order the Whirlwind Roughrider wheelchair for adults. They are still built for rugged terrain, just like the ROC Wheelchairs and well built with a sturdy frame. It comes in four sizes from small to extra large, so it will accommodate older children to larger adults.

In January, two hundred and forty Roughrider wheelchairs arrived. Two hundred were allocated to the US Army 3rd Brigade, 4th Infantry Division for distribution in the Sadr City area of Baghdad. Forty were allocated to Marines in Ramadi. However, they were not able to distribute them due to logistical challenges, so the remaining forty were allocated to the 82nd Airborne, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 1-319 Field Artillery Regiment.

In the area of operations for the 1-319 is a community of disabled Iraqi war veterans who fought in the Iran/Iraq war and suffered amputations and other disabling injuries. Most already had wheelchairs, but they appeared to be around 15-20 years old and in dire need of replacement. Most everything here is second hand, and very few things can be purchased new as there isn’t much manufacturing going on in country. So they were VERY glad to get new wheelchairs.

Parents brought a few children, and it’s always hard to turn away disabled kids even if this isn’t the best wheelchair for them. Actually, it may be their only chance to have a wheelchair, so we let them take it if we felt like it wasn’t going to be detrimental to their health.

Thanks to Captain Michael Amoroso for identifying needy recipients and organizing this event. Also thanks to Captain Robert Hart (Brigade Surgeon 82nd Airborne 3 BCT) for helping to coordinate the logistics and other arrangements.

Andrew and Holly at Reach Out and Care Wheels are my backbone for WFIK, as they collect donations both for the wheelchairs and for my personal expenses and order/arrange shipping for wheelchairs to be delivered to my location. Robin Marcato at International Relief Development sponsored the shipping for us, which was a huge help since the wheelchairs were manufactured and shipped in from Vietnam.

Most of all, thanks to the donors who provided each wheelchair for the needy disabled Iraqis. The 82nd Airborne leadership told me that this effort helps them greatly with ‘winning the war’ in their battle-space. So you’ve had a direct impact in helping bring peace to Baghdad, and getting our troops home sooner.

If anyone would like to help sponsor a wheelchair for a disabled Iraqi child (or adult), please go to www.WheelchairsForIraqiKids.com and click on the donate ‘button’ for an online Paypal link. All donations are tax deductible as ROC Wheels is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.

Some of the pictures below have captions which tell more of the stories.

For the 170 online pictures, click on this link: Album Link on Google Picasa.

Arriving at distribution location with 20 Whirlwind Roughrider all-terrain wheelchairs in neighborhood with a huge population of disabled Iran/Iraq war vets.
edit

First man arrives with worn-out wheelchair.

Used wheelchair - still operable but soon will need to be replaced.

Iraqi Army soldiers with man and his new Whirlwind Roughrider wheelchair.

Iraqi Army soldiers and US Army Captain (82nd Airborne) unbox new wheelchairs in preparation for distribution to disabled Iraqis.

Iraqi Army soldiers and US Army Captain (82nd Airborne) help disabled Iraqi man into new Whirlwind Roughrider wheelchair.

Man places his hand to his chest as a gesture to say 'thank-you' for the new wheelchair!

Disabled Iraqi woman preparing to move to new wheelchair.

Woman and family with her new wheelchair.

Most wheelchairs in operation in Iraq are of low quality, and are falling apart - like this one in the picture above.

Unloading the Roughriders from the military transport vehicle.

This boy's parents brought him to us, hoping we could provide medical treatment. They said he has a condition where his bones are extremely fragile - in this picture they're showing us that his leg is broken, without any trauma to cause the break. There was nothing we could do, and a wheelchair would not help him.

82nd Airborne 1-319 Field Artillery Regiment CPT Amoroso helps unpack a wheelchair. CPT Amoroso is in charge of this battle space, and is the one who originally contacted me about getting these people sorely needed replacement wheelchairs. Without guys like this, Wheelchairs for Iraqi Kids would not have happened.

Sons helping their father out of old wheelchair and into new!

Man with sons and new wheelchair.

The men formed an orderly line to have their wheelchairs replaced. We told them that whoever would give us their old wheelchairs first would receive a new wheelchair first.

"Hmmm, that's about my size, bro!"

Disabled man with prosthetic legs and Iraqi Army soldiers

"Where's mine?"

A long, long wait.

CPT Amoroso lifts disabled girl off the ground and into her new wheelchair.

Girl happy with her new Roughrider wheelchair

Disabled boy who could not vertically stabilize himself needed a wheelchair. We requested he come back when we bring pediatric wheelchairs with straps to hold him up in the wheelchair safely.

Iran/Iraq war veteran receives new wheelchair from Iraqi Army soldier

Iraq war veteran receives new wheelchair. This man had waited patiently for a long time, helping push other men to the front of the line who were most in need. I was glad to see this gentleman get a replacement wheelchair for his worn out chair on wheels.

Iraqi man and boy receives new wheelchair. Who’s the ugly bald guy on the right?

Disabled lady receives new wheelchair.

Man arrives in beat up plastic garden chair wheelchair. The front wheels are missing, and half of the back of the seat is broken off.

We didn't have to worry about trashing the boxes. Local boys gathered them up and took them away for us! In Iraq, everything can be a resource. Kids all over the world love empty boxes they can get creative with, don’t they?

My picture with local boys and Iraqi Army soldiers. The kids were amazed to see an American civilian not in uniform on ground who would talk to and show them new handshakes!

Once we had run out of wheelchairs to give away, disabled men showing up were given the opportunity to take the wheelchairs left behind by those who received new ones. Wheelchair recycling in action!

These guys all live in the same community, and know each other well. Many of them served together, and I was impressed with their continued camaraderie to watch them help each other (disabled helping disabled) from one wheelchair into their new ones.

Another lawn-chair wheelchair arrives with broken chair. It served its purpose up until now – now it’s time for a new wheelchair!

Making the move!

Son and father resemble each other in the face, don’t you think?

Out with the old, in with the new!

Disabled Iraqi boy and family with new wheelchair.

Broken wheelchair

Broken wheelchairs ready for recycling

The local boys were a hoot! Very fun to be around, and really excited to get attention from an adult!

Even Iraqi boys lose their front teeth!

The neighborhood boys brought over their prized possession - a bicycle! In our standards, the bike would be ready for recycling, but in theirs, it was really cool to have.

I rode the bike around the truck a few times, as the boys chased me clapping their hands and chanting 'Mister, Mister!'

All the boys wanted pictures with me. We played football (soccer) for about an hour until we had to leave. These kids are really poor, and were constantly asking for ‘footballs’ (our soccer balls), food, candy and money.

Did I mention these kids love footballs? If one boy in the neighborhood has one, he’s as popular as a rock star with his friends!

Twins or just best friends?

Iraqi Army soldier playing keep the ball away from the kids!

Friends

[This message has been edited by b.blauser (edited 4/10/2009 5:24p).]
Jock 97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Truly humbling beyond words. Brad, you continue to inspire me as both an Aggie and Christian.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.