North Carolina

1,598 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by hoosierAG
COSCAG67
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
May be relocating here from Central Texas... where would you recommend?

We have a 1 and 4 yr old (so schools are top priority), we love the mountains, my wife is a Nurse Practitioner and I need to be within 45 min of a major city (need to be around construction) for work.

hoosierAG
AG
Moved from Round Rock to the Raleigh area over 5 years ago and we love it (posted on your other threads) and never want to leave. Charlotte and Raleigh would be your best bets...both booming and great areas. Charlotte is much closer to the Blue Ridge mountains and the "big city" of NC obviously. Raleigh makes all the great places for every list there is and is smaller, more laid back and part of the triangle (Durham, Raleigh, Chapel Hill). Can talk to this area much more since we live here. Raleigh housing is expensive and in great demand. Would look at the surrounding areas (cheaper, great schools, new construction, etc...). Construction is booming and Duke, UNC, WakeMed are the big players and great places of the big medical profession here and wouldn't imagine that being any problem for your wife.

I could go on and on, so let me know what else you would like to know. We go to the mountains as much as we can (average of 3 hrs from our house but it really depends where you go) and would kill to buy a cabin somewhere...but easy to rent all over the different places. Beach is 2 hrs away and the Outer Banks is about 3. Savannah, Charleston, DC all within 5 hrs and Orlando around 8.

Grew up in a small central Texas town, went to A&M and have lived in San Antonio, Bloomington, IN, Dallas and Round Rock and this is the best place hands down we have lived (minus Aggieland as that's it's own special category ). To each their own, but risking I will be run off this site...there are places outside of TX!
COSCAG67
AG
Any specific towns or schools you would recommend outside of the Raleigh area? The real estate prices all look amazing after looking at Denver.

Since you grew up in a small central texas town, I'll add that I am from Gatesville, where the prison population is larger than the city.
hoosierAG
AG
Looking at towns and schools all depends where you want to live/work/commute as the Triangle area is pretty spread out. Chapel Hill has the best schools, but is the most expensive and commute would be rough to Raleigh. With UNC there they are their own Cal Berkley of the south (not saying anything wrong with that, but that's their style).

If you are narrowing it just to Raleigh (still pretty vast with traffic concerns) there is the Wake Forest area on the the northeast side and to the west and south (where we live) has a lot of options that are booming. Those are Cary, Apex, Holly Springs (us). All towns have great schools, all towns have there plusses and minuses. Cary is the most expensive, "oldest" and most established, and is basically built out. It's also west and closest to Raleigh, and closer to the rest of the triangle. Apex and Holly Springs are just further out southwest from them as the area has expanded. Newer, much cheaper housing, still great schools, more open as not built out. Look up schools at these places and ratings in those area and use city-data.com forums for more thoughts. All have about a 20 minute drive (give or take depending where you live in those towns) to their closest Raleigh area. FYI, southeast Raleigh is not the desirable location and the southeastern towns represent that. However that area is starting to boom as well, just wouldn't be my choice live at the moment.

Again, where you or your wife work would be huge. Living in Wake Forest or any outer towns and having to work on opposite sides of Raleigh could be a beating for commutes.

PS..I grew up in Copperas Cove, so basically a metropolis compared to Gatesville ..ha
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.