Spending the 4th in Philly

1,712 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by aTm2004
12gauge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife's working in Philly for 2 weeks and my son and I will be meeting up for the week of the 4th. Any tips, recommendations, etc? My boys 11.
Pro Sandy
AG
I went pry 15 years ago for the 4th. Started at Independence Hall, where the first 4th of July was, then went to Valley Forge, picked up an afternoon baseball Phillies game, and ended with fireworks at the Art Museum. Cant get much more American than that.

Phillies arent in town, but Independence Hall (make reservations online) and the Liberty Bell are a must. Fireworks at the art museum are great. They might enjoy the Franklin Institute if they are slightly sciencey.

Enjoy a cheesesteak. I think Pat's is better than Geno's, but Geno's has the classic "this is america, speak english" sign. https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/2776043

velociraptor10
AG
Where are y'all staying? The Benjamin Franklin Parkway will mostly be closed for the 4th for the festivites. There is a concert later in the evening with Meghan Trainor and Jennifer Hudson. The Parkway will be packed from City Hall-ish to the Art Museum. Fireworks later in the night. The actual fireworks shoot off behind the museum. Might be able to snag a spot on the Schutkill River Trail just past Boathouse Row to see them. https://welcomeamerica.com/

Old City has the Constitution Museum, Independence Hall, and Liberty Bell right on the same mall. The Museum of the American Revolution is new and also same area. Good area to walk around. Society Hill also nearby and nice area to walk around.

The Delaware River waterfront from about Market south towards South Street and specifically Spruce Street Harbor Park is a cool area to hang out if it's not too hot. Might be worth it to check out renting Segways.

Cheesesteaks: Steve's or Jim's are better and more convenient than Pat's or Geno's.

Franklin Institute is cool as is Mutter Museum if you're into more oddities.

Valley Forge is about a thirty to forty minute drive from Center City but may be worth it if you're into history. It's very pretty. I would recommend the Wissahickon Park if you're into either biking or hiking. Forbidden Drive and some of the trails are very nice. Chestnut Hill area is close and nice to sortof walk around and window shop/eat.

Philly is also an hour and a half from the Jersey Shore which you can visit for the day if so inclined.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
12gauge
AG
Once again, my fellow Aggies provide me with comprehensive knowledge of a strange land far to the cold north. We're stoked about being at the birthplace of our country on her birthday. Were
We were already looking at the water front parks, the mutter, aquarium, and chinatown. There's a lantern festival going on that looks neat. Thanks to the battle axe's job we're staying across from independence hall. I think the only downside is well be in Eagles country....
RabbleRouser07
AG
Jim's is better than Pat's or Geno's.

Just moved to Jersey last year but haven't traveled to Philly too often. Chickee's and Pete's is another decent chain restaurant.

Jersey Shore is nice, but do some research on locations because it will be slammed on July 4th week.
aTm2004
AG
One of my favorite places in Philly is Elfreth's Alley. It's the oldest street in the US and people still live on it. From Independence Hall, it's about a 15 minute walk. If you take the right route, you can see Betsy Ross' house and Ben Franklin's grave.

If you're going to have a car, Gettysburg is about a 3 hour drive from Philly and something I highly recommend, especially if you're a history buff.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.