Thinking about going for a job in Anchorage, AK

4,428 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AlaskanAg99
Ag_SGT
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not putting the cart before the horse but there is a job in Anchorage, AK I'm qualified for and would enjoy but the idea of moving to Alaska from Florida is a little daunting. First off, I want out of Florida for somewhere in the mountains but Alaska seems a little extreme. No matter what, I'd travel there beforehand to see it for myself but I wondered if any of y'all had any experience up there? I don't think it would be long term, but I think it would be a good 8-10 year job to make some good money before returning to somewhere in the Appalachians to finish up my professional career. Any advice would be much appreciated.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin
jetescamilla
AG
I live in Juneau but travel around the State quite a bit for work. I'm in Anchorage and/or Fairbanks at least 15 times a year. Anchorage is not my favorite "Alaska" city but the areas just outside of it are nice. But that is very personal and depends on what you're looking for. Us moving to Alaska, I wanted it to look like "Alaska" so we didn't want a cookie cutter neighborhood, we're on an acre with 8 houses around us, all with an acre. We have mountain and water views. That's the Alaska we wanted. Feel free to shoot me an email with questions if you have them. I can also talk if that helps.

jesse.escamilla3@gmail.com

JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
jetescamilla said:

I live in Juneau but travel around the State quite a bit for work. I'm in Anchorage and/or Fairbanks at least 15 times a year. Anchorage is not my favorite "Alaska" city but the areas just outside of it are nice. But that is very personal and depends on what you're looking for. Us moving to Alaska, I wanted it to look like "Alaska" so we didn't want a cookie cutter neighborhood, we're on an acre with 8 houses around us, all with an acre. We have mountain and water views. That's the Alaska we wanted. Feel free to shoot me an email with questions if you have them. I can also talk if that helps.

jesse.escamilla3@gmail.com

I'm jealous
CoachRTM
AG
I was born in Anchorage and although we moved away when I was young, we went back and visited fairly often.

Alaska is a fantastic place if you like camping, fishing, four-wheeling, hunting, rafting, snow-machining, skiing, hiking...... basically all of the outdoor activities. If you're not an outdoors person, the views are really nice, but you're probably going to get bored fast.

The sunlight/ weather is also something worth considering. The summers in Anchorage are amazing - great weather and there is sunlight up to 22 hours a day. The sun really never truly goes down. However, the flipside is that the winters are pretty rough. It obviously gets pretty cold and the sun barely crests the horizon for an hour or two before going back down in the depths of winter. It's dark and cold. Most people end up taking vacations every winter because they need the break.

Bottom line - it's an awesome place, especially for those who have a disposition for the outdoors. If you're a "city person", it's great for a vacation, but probably not the best place for you to live.

C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Ag_SGT
AG
I interviewed for the job and while I know that on the GIS side of the job I was more than qualified I'm pretty sure the fact I am not skilled on the biology of Alaskan wetlands won't get me a return call. That's fine though, I have a job that pays well, so I am just coming the nation looking for the perfect fit. Right now have applications out in Missouri, West Virginia and DC.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin
Oryx
Bump

I'm probably going to get interviewed for a job in Anchorage (still waiting on more job details) and prospect of moving there for a bit (this isn't by any means a long term deal) interests me. Should I step away from the cliff?
jetescamilla
AG
Oryx said:

Bump

I'm probably going to get interviewed for a job in Anchorage (still waiting on more job details) and prospect of moving there for a bit (this isn't by any means a long term deal) interests me. Should I step away from the cliff?
Nope, jump right off that cliff. Lot's of people are too scared to take a plunge and regret never jumping later in life. Born in Houston, I've lived in Dallas, Phoenix, Olympia, and now Juneau and I've appreciated every place. Also, not everything is better in Texas...except the Mexican food (that sucks every else).
chiken
AG
Just emailed you!
AlaskanAg99
AG
Living in Alaska can be difficult. I moved away a long time ago, but I do remember. Summers are awesome, winters are long, and long, and long and cold. Spring time is referred to as Breakup, for both the ice and relationships. Put it to you this way, you'll spend a lot of time in your home, if you're having trouble with COVID restrictions, the weather will probably break you there.

Unless you get yourself outside. Problem with being an adult is you'll be inside during the daylight during the winter, so you go to work in the dark and come home in the dark. This is way different than the day light changes in TX. You need to have several hobbies that don't involve drinking.

I wish I had moved back after school for at least a few years, instead I ended up in San Diego, which was just a little bit of fun, but I couldn't hack it in AK now as an adult.

Also, if you're single it can be really difficult to date as there are more men than women up there. Or really good, I suppose.

It is absolutely beautiful.

The other thing is: it doesn't have to be permanent. Get a job, make a list of professional goals and personal goals for AK for 3 years. Hit it and quit it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.