Charlotte/Mooresville, North Carolina

2,009 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AustinAg13
SVaggie84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Husband just got a job offer there. Any Ags in the area?

What's it like to live there?
deadhead aggie
AG
I hope you don't mind if I tag along in this thread. There's a good chance that I'll be accepting a job off there very soon and I want to hear from the locals.

We're leaning heavily on Waxhaw because our preference is to be far away from the city and in a small-town environment. We're older, so we luckily don't have to worry about school districts and a thriving nightlife. I did hear that the area is expanding far too quickly, so it's losing its small-town appeal and traffic is becoming a disaster.

What area are you thinking? Mooresville?
SVaggie84
AG
The job will be in Mooresville. We are older too. We were going to retire, and this opportunity came up.

It's a start up. It's kind of risky, so we are going to rent at first. If it doesn't work out, we will just retire.

We haven't even been out to the area yet. I've driven through Charlotte and I've spent time in Raleigh/Durham area.

We will have to get together to watch games. I think I may try to go to Clemson game.
surf
S
Traffic is terrible heading into Charlotte from that direction due to the construction on I 77. That area is growing rapidly so property values will grow greatly. You won't be far from the mountains and probably around 4 hrs from the beaches near Wilmington
surf
S
Also, if you are going for retirement and not really bound to having to be near a major city, I'd go for the Southern pines/Pinehurst area. Not super far from either Charlotte or Raleigh (in between both) and there is tons to do there. Plenty of golf as well with Pinehurst nearby
torrid
AG
I moved to NC back in 2002. I was in Charlotte for a while, I'm now in the PIedmont Triad area.

I have really liked being in NC. I enjoy having four distinct seasons, and it is nice to have some topography that isn't completely flat. Truthfully, I have no desire to move back to Texas.

Mooresville has always been a high growth area. There's a lot of traffic, even if you don't drive in to Charlotte every day. Lots of high-priced real estate, especially close to the lake.
SVaggie84
AG
I don't think my hubby (California native) or I could handle living in Texas. We like outdoor activities and mountains.

I'm pretty excited about the area. I think I'm going to have a blast! My poor husband will be working while I'm having fun.
deadhead aggie
AG
surf said:

Also, if you are going for retirement and not really bound to having to be near a major city, I'd go for the Southern pines/Pinehurst area. Not super far from either Charlotte or Raleigh (in between both) and there is tons to do there. Plenty of golf as well with Pinehurst nearby
Any thoughts on the Waxhaw area or the Lincolnton area? Especially in terms of traffic to South Park.
We're now looking at Belmont too.
surf
S
I haven't been to either but in looking where they are I'd go with lincolnton. Halfway between Gastonia which has things to do and hickory which also does but not as much. Probably 45 mins from blowing rock and Boone too. Lots more opportunities for better food, entertainment, shopping etc. Charlotte would be close by but not close enough as well if you want a smaller town feel
AustinAg13
AG
Mville has grown a lot over the last 10 years and is becoming more developed. The whole area is a nice and would qualify as a retirement community. Traffic on 77 and 85 is rough but the seasons are great and there is a lot to do in the area! Charlotte is a great city as well!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.