Tell me about Ohio near columbus

2,385 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Mmetag10
Mmetag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Possible opportunity in the Columbus Ohio area (about an hour north east) Anyone have any thoughts on the area? We have lived up north before so We've dealt with snow. Just trying to get a better feel for what I'm looking at. Thanks
jakal0722
I'm the Muster Chair of the Central Ohio Aggies club. Been in Columbus for a bit over 7 years now.

Shoot the club an email at centralohioaggies@gmail.com

We really like the Columbus area and it is currently in quite the economic boom. Definitely reminds me of Austin but colder.
WorkerBee
Sparky97
AG
We lived in Westerville from 2015 - 2016. The family really enjoyed it there. You get to experience four seasons and don't have to deal with the Texas heat. Between the shopping centers at Easton and Polaris and the outlet stores to the North, you will have every store that you would ever want to shop at. The Columbus Zoo is one of the best in the country and they recently opened a Legoland at Easton if you have kids.

Traffic wise, Columbus is easy to get around because they have an interstate loop around the whole city, but the little towns outside the loop can easily get congested due to small two lane city streets.

We have lived in Texas, Tennessee, Ohio, and are currently living in Upstate New York. Of all the places that we have lived, Columbus would be the first one that we would move back to if we had the opportunity.

Good luck!
Synopsis
jakal0722 said:

I'm the Muster Chair of the Central Ohio Aggies club. Been in Columbus for a bit over 7 years now.

Shoot the club an email at centralohioaggies@gmail.com

We really like the Columbus area and it is currently in quite the economic boom. Definitely reminds me of Austin but colder.

I spent some time in Columbus a few years back. I thought it was an outstanding city. Clean, safe, and do not miss out on the German town. It's about as close you can get to being in Germany outside of Germany. I loved my time there.
jakal0722
I'm pretty partial to it as well! German Village has gotten even better since some Central Texas guys opened up a kolache shop and then some guys studied Texas bbq and opened up shop there too!
mazag08
AG
I lived in Dublin last year and absolutely loved it. Everything about Columbus was great. I worked in Easton and it had a lot to offer for restaurants, shopping, and entertainment.

But for crying out loud, don't expect to get even marginal BBQ or Mexican good. I actually think Dickey's might be the best BBQ in Columbus.
longeryak
Mmetag10 said:

Possible opportunity in the Columbus Ohio area (about an hour north east) Anyone have any thoughts on the area? We have lived up north before so We've dealt with snow. Just trying to get a better feel for what I'm looking at. Thanks
Which city? 60 miles outside of Columbus is very different from living in Columbus. How much east? Coshocton is the western edge of Appalachia.
knoxtom
My dad lives and hour and fifteen SE of Columbus and my uncle lives an hour and a half north of Columbus. Another uncle lives on the adjoining property to my Dad's. I have a bunch of other family in the area as well. Family has been there for 200 years.

Dad has 481 acres that has been in our family since 1827. Rolling hills, about a half mile of year round creek running through the property, 200 year old barns that are still functional, etc. I can tell you where to find arrowheads, I can take someone to the old castle, I can find the sugar camp where they made maple syrup, I can take you to the caves, to the old mines, to where the schools were 150 years ago. I can take you through the parts of hocking hills state park and the Zaleski State forest that few know about, find you wild turkeys and big deer. My granddad lived there for 99 years and told me about everything. He taught me to scald a pig, milk a goat, pluck a chicken, judge a pig, ride a horse, and stand up to an angry highland cow. He taught me how to dig potatoes, hand pollinate tomatoes, pick a good cantaloupe, and know which corn is the sweetest.

Despite all that, nothing would make me want to live there. There is a reason they call them FIFO's.
Mmetag10
AG
Didn't work out. Thanks for the advice though.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.