Any Ags in or near Oxford, MS

1,394 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AgEng98
Aggie_Eric98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
potential job move to Grenada, but I'd be looking to move to the Oxford area. Selling points?
AgEng98
That's a pretty good drive every day. Have you actually driven it? 7 is two lane the whole way, if I recall. Oxford is nice, but not nice enough (to me) to do that drive every day.
Aggie_Eric98
AG
I have never been there before, is there another area where I should consider? It doesn't look like much is around there.
AgEng98
Do you have kids? Schools will be a big factor if so. Be prepared to look at private school. Cost of living is low in Mississippi, but Lafayette County is one of the three highest in the state.

Oxford is a nice place, but like all small university towns, there's very little for the 30+ crowd and it's a ghost town for 1/3 of the year. Remember, Oxford is tiny, about 20k without the students.

Mississippi is populated with LOTS of small towns, as you are probably aware, but Grenada is a good sized place - about 13k per Wikipedia. You'd be halfway between Memphis and Jackson. What about Grenada gives you pause?

I don't know where you'd be coming from, but if you like (or are willing to adapt to) small town/rural life then you can be quite content in either place.

Be aware that healthcare accessibility can be an issue. If you have family members with a serious condition, you'll have to go to Memphis or Jackson.
Aggie_Eric98
AG
Yeah, I have 3 kids all under 8. Coming from Dallas and I gave the wife the choice of where to live. I don't think Grenada has enough social items compared to Oxford. In addition Oxford is only an hour to Memphis where she can shop and get somewhat of a large town feel.

The company is flying us both in do to site visits so I'll see what she thinks of both places. My biggest concern is going to be selling a house in 3 years. Not a lot of 4/5 bedroom homes which allow pets in either city for rent.
AgEng98
Oxford is at least 90 minutes to Memphis any way you slice it. The freeway portion of I22 ends just past Byhalia and turns into US78. Traffic slows down well outside of the city around the freight terminal. We go to Memphis that way, though we are not from Oxford. It's about the same distance time-wise from Grenada, with the convenience factor of interstate 55 the whole way. All the shopping she's likely to enjoy will be on the northeast side (Germantown), so she's going to be driving a good ways across town in either case. Clearly, this is all relative coming from Dallas given the traffic and sprawl you're used to, but can get old quick.

Oxford has higher real estate prices and decent public schools, but Grenada is cheaper and you'll likely want private schools, so that's the biggest trade-off to me. Oxford has the edge for "social" stuff, but that's nonexistent from May through August, except maybe youth sports.

If you've never been to Mississippi, then you're in for an adjustment, but not in a bad way. I've lived here for nearly 15 years and have loved it. With the exception of the Delta, there's lots of similarities to East Texas, culturally speaking. Just enjoy the different opportunities to explore. Take a couple of weekends amd explore the Delta. Drive to Natchez and see the balloon race in October. Obviously see football games - Starkville and Tuscaloosa aren't all that far. You'd be in a bbq black hole, but Memphis is close enough. Hunting and fishing are especially good here. There's lots to see and do if you're willing to get out and see it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.