Richmond Virginia

3,553 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Random Ag
Random Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone live there?
oneeyedag
I live in between Richmond and Charlottesville and work Downtown Richmond.
kbw01
AG
I'm moving to Fort Lee this summer and am looking for houses in the NW Chesterfield southern Midlothian area
oneeyedag
That's a good area with some great schools. I have several friends I work with that live in chesterfield county.
kbw01
AG
Trying to figure out how to narrow it down.
oneeyedag
Whatever you decide stay out of Petersburg and Dinwiddie County. There are some nice homes along 288 in chesterfield county which loops around chesterfield to either IH 95 or IH64.

In Midlothian I would stay west of State Police HQ, as anything east can get pretty shady.

Edit to add:

Chesterfield schools if you have kids are some of the best in the State and are usually ranked pretty high overall.

Also, Chesterfield price per square foot is steep. If you like country, Powhatan is very nice and good schools as well.
Random Ag
AG
Thanks for the replies, just wanted to see if any Aggies were around. We are moving there this summer (VCU) and strongly considering living in Richmond proper (Forest Hill or Far West) but haven't visited in person yet.
kbw01
AG
Thanks for the great advise. We are looking at the Winterpock Elementary School district or to put our kids in Saint Edwards Epiphany. We went catholic private school because Washington schools are horrible and I don't feel my kindergartner needs to be given classes on identifying genders. Please respect my decision. Moving into a public school other than winterpock will make it incredibly difficult on my oldest. Unfortunately, we cannot make a decision until SEE registration is complete and we know if they have room for our kids. I do not want to pay more for a house to be in a school district that my kids will not go to.
Kyle
kbw01
AG
do you have travel plans scheduled?
Kyle
Random Ag
AG
I was there yesterday for an interview. It's possible I met oneeyedag as the company is downtown and I was introduced to an Ag. No other travel plans but that could change quickly.
oneeyedag
Actually I'm a Hokie Alumn, and work for one of the State Agencies.
Viva Terlingua
I just saw this, sorry if this is too late to use.

I have lived in the Richmond area since 2002 and Richmond City since 2015. We raised three kids in Chesterfield County, living in the Swift Creek Reservoir area. Our kids went to Woolridge Elementary but I would say all of the elementary schools are good outside of Hwy 288 (the local loop in that area) in that area of Chesterfield. I work with people that were very happy with their kids at Grange Hall Elementary and also Winterpock.

Once the kids went away to college, we moved in town into a totally different environment and lifestyle. Our goals were to downsize and cut expenses so as to afford all the college costs. Since my wife and I work downtown, our commute is now 10 minutes of 25 mph city streets instead of 70mph on the Powhite Tollway. Richmond is a unique city that has really grown on me. We enjoy it tremendously.
kbw01
AG
Thanks for sharing. We are going with Williamsburg and are extremely excited
Viva Terlingua
My oldest lived in Williamsburg for 4 years as she went to William and Mary University. Nice town, but sometimes local travel is difficult between W&M, Busch Gardens, Old Town Williamsburg, Jamestown activities going on and all the tourists. I spent a lot of time in Old Town and the W&M area and it is a nice area to hang out in.
VitruvianAg
AG
Random Ag said:

Thanks for the replies, just wanted to see if any Aggies were around. We are moving there this summer (VCU) and strongly considering living in Richmond proper (Forest Hill or Far West) but haven't visited in person yet.
+1

I commuted from NoVa to teach a course on Urban Design @VCU a while back.

Will be moving down there in a few years, Forest Hills is where I'm looking. Nice area with the river walk/bike trail with a nice little bike ride to the Fan.

I'll do a fixer upper in that neighborhood for sure. Won't have to worry about schools unless a grandchild is involved, ; - )

SandyHookVA
AG
VitruvianAg said:

Random Ag said:

+1

I commuted from NoVa to teach a course on Urban Design @VCU a while back.

Will be moving down there in a few years, Forest Hills is where I'm looking. Nice area with the river walk/bike trail with a nice little bike ride to the Fan.

I'll do a fixer upper in that neighborhood for sure. Won't have to worry about schools unless a grandchild is involved, ; - )

I'd stay to the west of Forest Hill Park. The Manchester area is still...gentrifying...shall we say. But there are some really neat old Victorian and Craftsman houses in that area.

I'm partial to Goochland myself, but it's rural and between a 20 minute and one hour commute from downtown. Great place to raise a family, but perhaps not for empty nesters.

**Edit*** direction impaired - changed to east to west. Definitely not east of Forest Hill Park
Random Ag
AG
We ended up in the Near West End, zoned to Munford so have quite a few years before we have to decide on middle school options. Forest Hill lots were a little smaller than we liked, same with Bellevue. We really liked Stratford Hills but wanted a neighborhood with a little more walkability. We are really enjoying Richmond!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.