Mexico resort recs. Por favor.

2,534 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by Bayou City
Independence H-D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Exploring taking the family to a Mexican Beach resort between Christmas and New Year's. Gulf side only. Kids will be 16 and 18. All inclusive. Decent Beach. Thanks in advance.
JMac03
AG
Xcaret, but it will be $$$.
Dreams Playa Mujeres
Moon Palace Grand (beach sucks here but resort is amazing).
Hard Rock Riviera Maya - beach is in rocked coves - so no waves. But has water park.
Hyatt Ziva - great beach but may not have tons for the teens (not to be confused with Riviera Cancun).

For the easier on the pocket book options:
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Barcelo Maya Palace

If I can help, my email is in my profile.
scd88
AG
Independence H-D said:

Exploring taking the family to a Mexican Beach resort between Christmas and New Year's. Gulf side only. Kids will be 16 and 18. All inclusive. Decent Beach. Thanks in advance.

Maybe your driveway will be done by then...it will be a celebratory trip!

ETA - JMac helped me with a Mexico trip in 2023. She's good.
JMac03
AG
Thanks for the shoutout!
Big Al 1992
AG
Hyatt Ziva Cancun
Good beach, great pools,
Great food.
Mustang1
AG
What's your budget? That will obviously be a pricy week to travel
Independence H-D
Just started the looking process. Would like to keep it at a grand or less per night. Don't know if that's realistic.
JMac03
AG
Quick glance, 5 nights (not counting flights)

Dreams Natura (cheapest out of Dreams - not good beach): $7727
Iberostar Selection Paraiso Lindo - $7241 (not sure if has access to waterpark)
Barcelo Maya Palace - $6080 (lower end Barcelo properties are under $5k)
Planet Hollywood - $6380
Hard Rock Riviera Maya - $5555 (these rooms are small and it is double beds, not queens).
MRB10
AG
Le Blanc Cabo was top notch and they have one in Cancun. I'd go there.
Bayou City
We live right across from Barcelo Maya. From what I've heard, people with teenaged kids really enjoy it and Iberostar. One my flight to IAH last week I had a family of 4 from KC that stayed at Barcelo and loved it and another family behind me that stayed at Iberostar and loved it. They both had kids in the 12-16/18 range.

The only thing I'd add to your list is the checking the proximity to ASUR airport vs TQM for where ever you decide to go. TQM is a much more travel friendly and family friendly airport. Much smaller and far more intimate and less of a total cluster f than ASUR. Plus you never know the traffic between PDC and Cancun. When I left on Wednesday, it was backed up for probably 15km between PA and PDC and again from PDC to PM.

If you're worried about Sargassum then try to stay north: Isla, Holbox, or anything Cancun Resort Zone or north.
bam02
AG
JMac03
AG
Bayou City said:

We live right across from Barcelo Maya. From what I've heard, people with teenaged kids really enjoy it and Iberostar. One my flight to IAH last week I had a family of 4 from KC that stayed at Barcelo and loved it and another family behind me that stayed at Iberostar and loved it. They both had kids in the 12-16/18 range.

The only thing I'd add to your list is the checking the proximity to ASUR airport vs TQM for where ever you decide to go. TQM is a much more travel friendly and family friendly airport. Much smaller and far more intimate and less of a total cluster f than ASUR. Plus you never know the traffic between PDC and Cancun. When I left on Wednesday, it was backed up for probably 15km between PA and PDC and again from PDC to PM.

If you're worried about Sargassum then try to stay north: Isla, Holbox, or anything Cancun Resort Zone or north.
My only concern there is transfers are harder to come by, but I know Amstar services out of there. I assume over time more will as well.
Bayou City
I actually saw a USA transfer around the other day. I haven't seen one of them around us in a hot minute.

Heck of a valid point thought. It's hard to tell tourists to take the ADO.

If I find one that's good I'll definitely let you know
JMac03
AG
Bayou City said:

I actually saw a USA transfer around the other day. I haven't seen one of them around us in a hot minute.

Heck of a valid point thought. It's hard to tell tourists to take the ADO.

If I find one that's good I'll definitely let you know
Ohhh I'll reach out to USA - that's who I use for 90% of my clients! Thanks

On a side note, I had clients who WANTED to take the train awhile back, but I wasn't comfortable. A local travel agent keeps us fairly up to speed on that stuff. I want to be sure there are taxis at the stops, etc to take them to hotels. Just want to know more about it before I recommend it.
Mustang1
AG
We used TQO airport for the 1st time last week & it was so easy compared to Cancun. Canada Transfers was our transfer company…no issues. About 40 minutes to/from secrets Tulum.
Bayou City
Do they still have sand everywhere at that resort?
Bayou City
Flights from IAH to TQM are SUPER cheap. We got round trip tickets for less than $150 and a big chunk of that was taxes. Hopefully more people start taking it during high season so they don't fold the route. Our Thanksgiving tickets were like $250 each and Christmas was less than $500. I was shocked.
Bayou City
New Rates out of Tulum Airport for ground transportation!

https://riviera-maya-news.com/tulum-airport-ground-transportation-rates-adjusted-in-time-for-summer-travel/2024.html?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR3r8aCQZH4aq4byGlOShff0WA6F0QMAXg2b7AUt8Bj6F4N7i0BfgAX4A7Y_aem_slkJF9U-RjfTBnpDc4ULSw&cn-reloaded=1
Bayou City
Latest sargassum update. Great news!

https://www.rivieramayanews.mx/minimal-seaweed-impact-predicted-for-this-year/
FriscoAggieFan
AG
We did Barcelo Palace a bunch of times with a bunch of different families over the years. Kids loved it.
62strat
AG
Bayou City said:

Latest sargassum update. Great news!

https://www.rivieramayanews.mx/minimal-seaweed-impact-predicted-for-this-year/
we're doing royalton splash in october which is riviera maya.. this is pic from someone's stay this month..

I hope it looks better when we go.. that looks like ass.

Granted, it doesn't look like that pic is near a resort.. maybe they walked a while down the beach for the pic.
Bayou City
Sadly, that's nothing compared to at its worst. I'd say that's like a 5/10. Luckily, by October usually the water starts to cool and the beaches clear. They have been beautiful the last couple of weeks which is rare for August.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
XCARET is great, but NOT a good beach. They've got some sand out for sunbathing but it's a rocky shore. Other than that, it's a great choice if in your budget.
Bayou City
My wife takes photos at all of the major resorts here and Barcelo is one of the favorites.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.