Back of Belize

852 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Fins Up!
oldag941
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Made our 2nd trip to Belize, this time with two teenage kids. Totally different experience than first trip. First trip was wife and I in 2019 to a remote Thatch Caye. This time was near San Pedro on Ambergris Caye. Flew from DFW to Belize City (about 2:50 duration). Then 11-man puddle jumper to San Pedro. 10 min flight.

Our resort was Grand Caribe. About 10 minutes outside of town. Rented a golf cart for the 4 day trip.

Resort was nice. Had ocean view 2BR / 2.5 BA condo. Small grocery down the street for snacks and breakfast makings. Random deal. The condo we were in is listed for purchase for $915,000. Crazy the real estate. Good main pool at resort. Had swim up bar and could order food. Small swimming beach. Two piers for boats or fishing.

Wife does a lot of research for trips and we hit up a number of restaurants around. Some looked sketchy from outside but then once you enter, great.

We did a half-day guided snorkel trip. Swam the barrier reefs and snorkeled with nurse sharks and sting rays. This was all awesome. Kids loved it. Great fish and wildlife so close and easy to see. Did another half-day guided reef fishing. Caught barracuda and a bunch of different snappers. Guide fileted some for us and we took home to have cooked at a local restaurant that night. Awesome. Son got sick as hell on the boat but other than that, fun.

Water and snorkeling is beautiful. Just at the pier we saw bonefish and spotted eagle rays.

The day we showed up was the last day of a large deep sea fishing contest. Winner got $75,000. 52 boats over 3 days. Big party around the 6pm deadline for weigh in. Was awesome to watch it all. Lots of wahoo and mahi. Insane expensive boats.

I will say, compared to our previous remote trip to Belize, this one was different. Still good but different. San Pedro is pretty belize-urban. And Belize is pretty 3rd world. Development is booming with construction but only 1 major road on the island and it's only partly paved. Infrastructure is pretty 3rd world with million dollar resorts. Stray momma dogs but great restaurants when you get in the door. I didn't feel unsafe but definitely kept my head on a swivel.

We will definitely go back. We may try something more in-between Thatch Caye and San Pedro. Maybe Caye Caulker or Coco Plum etc.

Great trip though, and great first time for kids to go out-of-country.
FriscoAggieFan
AG
Did almost the exact same trip a few years back with my fam (same resort). Good time.
Last year the wife and I did Placencia with another couple - may want to consider. Way more laid back and to me much more lush and scenic. We stayed at Sirenian Bay and it was great - owned by a Dallas couple.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
We loved Coco Plum.
oldag941
AG
And Thatch Caye is 100 yards from Coco Plum. So I'm familiar with the location at least.
Fins Up!
AG
Belize is so amazing. I cannot wait to go back soon.

What a fun trip!
blackgoldag11
AG
Belize is awesome, want to go back soon. We did a day trip out to turnefe atoll and it was the best snorkeling I've ever done
Fins Up!
AG
Turneffe is my favorite place to dive. There are just so many dive sites. Plus, if you stay out there, you can be the first one to Blue Hole and Lighthouse Reef.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.