Went to the US Holocaust Museum in DC today.

1,471 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
Southlake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's free. Need to get a ticket on line for a time slot.

Not crowded.

I thought it was very good. Obviously some pretty graphic films / photos, but most were behind walls with a Warning Sign.

Highly recommend.

Still amazed a whole nation could buy into mass genocide.
CanyonAg77
AG
I think the reaction to COVID shows that we could easily give in to genocide.

The museum is okay, I was not that moved or impressed by it. I think it was because I'm a history buff, and I already knew it was horrible, had seen the photos and films, etc. It sort of felt like they were beating me over the head to tell me how horrible it was.

Perhaps folks with less knowledge of WWII need the head beating
TPS_Report
AG
Southlake said:

It's free. Need to get a ticket on line for a time slot.

Not crowded.

I thought it was very good. Obviously some pretty graphic films / photos, but most were behind walls with a Warning Sign.

Highly recommend.

Still amazed a whole nation could buy into mass genocide.
The shoe room really got to me.

I bleed Maroon and I wipe burnt orange!
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

I think the reaction to COVID shows that we could easily give in to genocide.

The museum is okay, I was not that moved or impressed by it. I think it was because I'm a history buff, and I already knew it was horrible, had seen the photos and films, etc. It sort of felt like they were beating me over the head to tell me how horrible it was.

Perhaps folks with less knowledge of WWII need the head beating
Agree with this assessment. It was a good museum to visit, but there was nothing in there that came as a surprise to me.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Also the etched wall showing all of the towns that basically disappeared because everyone was put on the trains
CDub06
AG
Oh brother… /eyeroll
Aggie87
AG
It's a fantastic museum and does exactly a good museum is supposed to do. It's not for scholars, it's for people.

I've met Holocaust survivors in that museum (as well as in Germany when i lived there). I also have some Jewish family members, and they think it tells the story of the Holocaust as well as it can be told, in that setting.
URDeparted
It really is a fantastic museum. Took my daughter (10 years old at the time) and it was a great learning experience for her and myself as well. The way it is set up with warnings for graphic images is also perfect for kids.
AgRyan04
We went over Memorial Day weekend and I came away with the same thoughts
mullokmotx
AG
I went in the Holocaust exhibit in the Imperial War Museum in 2019. Had to leave after about 20 minutes since it was hard to take.
The Milkman
AG
Some really odd responses in this thread....

"Nothing in there that came as a surprise"
"It felt like they were beating me over the head to tell me how horrible it was."

Thats like saying the African American History Museum is "really laying it on thick with all the black stuff..."
CanyonAg77
AG
Museums are great for showing artifacts. When they start telling you how you are supposed to feel, they go off the rails

And, should I apologize for actually being informed and horrified by the Holocaust before I walked in the door?
Wicked Good Ag
I dont know many museums that tell you how to feel

Most are fact based and if slanted they usually let you know who the slant is geared toward by saying something like "The Democrats felt" or "The Republican Party tried to"
Big Al 1992
AG
A good place to revisit history unless you can actually visit Dachau. Now that is moving, educational and heartbreaking.
If you're interested in that history or want to educate your kids and others on the reality and horrors of it, Schindlers List and episode 9 ( I think) of Band of Brothers tell the true awful story.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Add in one of the last episodes of Masters of the Air as well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.