Lajitas/ Big Bend

1,199 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by MouthBQ98
Chris98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Decided to plan a last-minute trip to Big Bend (first week in August). We're staying at Lajitas and plan on spending a couple of days at Big Bend. I'm taking my jacked up 4 Runner and plan on doing a little off roading. Any recommendations on the off roading or any other "must do"
Matsui
AG
Play golf there
chick79
AG
Even if you don't play golf, you need to give it a try. One of the most beautiful courses in the country.
Naveronski
AG
Must do: drink water. Going to be hot AF.

Black gap/river road are two of my preferred roads, but none of the "non maintained" BBNP roads are technically difficult.
Aggie87
AG
August in Big Bend. Oy.
maverick12
AG
The golf course is amazing and a must do if you play golf at all. It's a tradition to hit a ball into Mexico from the 15th tee box. Crossing the border at Boquillas for lunch and margaritas is pretty cool. You take a row boat over to a stable with donkeys and horses and then ride into the town. Starlight Theatre in Terlingua is popular for dinner. The food is fine and it's kind of a neat experience. Tons of great hikes of all distances and levels in BB. The Ernst Tinaja trail is cool and requires some low level off roading. To be fair, I think it's probably passible in a car though if it's not too low to the ground. We didn't do any high level off roading during our visits so I'm not much help there.

Yesterday
AG
Spend as much time in the Chisos Basin as you can. BB in August down in the desert can get to 110-115 no problem.

The high clearance roads are mostly unmaintained long and miserable roads. There are a few hairy spots but a lifted 4x4
4 runner should be fine.

Enjoy the park. It's my favorite.
MouthBQ98
AG
Take the Ross max scenic dr down to Santa Elena Canyon, then you can drive the old river road around south headed east to back gap rd then up to form springs rd. There's one place on black gap rd where you might need a 4x4 (unless it is raining or has been, then you may need it a lot) then take Glenn springs rd up to park rd 12, and back around. It's about a 4-5 hour drive but mostly gravel road with very cool geology and views of the Chisos. Warning, this will be HOT in summer.

Definitely also drive up into the Chisos basin and have a look around. Most of the best day hikes in the park start up there. It will also be tolerably cool up there.

The drive down highway 170 west of Terlingua/Lajitas is very scenic. Stop at the overlooks. Drive at least as far as the closed canyon trail. HIKe THIS TRAIl. It is short but very cool.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.