Kansas City or St Louis

2,067 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by agracer
a.froman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My 8 year old son and I are doing our first set of ballparks this summer. We are driving from DFW and making it a long weekend trip. Catching a game on Thursday in St Louis and a Saturday game in Kansas City. Question for those is that we basically will have Friday in between games to tour around. Would you drive over to Kansas City that Friday morning or stay in St Louis one extra night? What do each towns have to offer. Only thing I know in St Louis is the Arch. Thanks
Ag CPA
AG
For a kid the Arch is the best site to visit in either town. Maybe visit the Budweiser brewery to see the Clydesdales (and get a daddy drink).
DaleDoback
St. Louis zoo is pretty cool. As said above, the tours at Budweiser are cool and you get a chance to see the Clydesdales up close. Spend time in KC for work and visit St. Louis for Cardinal games at least once a year. That said, I'd choose St. Louis.

That said when in KC, stop at Q39 and get the wings. They are amazing.
AggieOO
Ag CPA said:

Maybe visit the Budweiser brewery to see the Clydesdales (and get a daddy drink).
if you are going to opt for a brewery tour, skip budweiser and get a decent beer at Schlafly's.
aggiederelict
Beer snob.
CanyonAg77
AG
Halfway between St. Louis and KC is the farm where they raise the Budweiser Clydesdales. Tours fill up fast, so check it out quickly.

https://www.warmspringsranch.com/

The World War One museum in KC is amazing.

Truman library and home in Independence are cool

Some Santa Fe Trail swales are visible in KC

Ag Museum in Bonner Springs

https://www.aghalloffame.com/
schmendeler
AG
The city museum in St Louis is a "can't miss" for a kid. The arch is very cool as well.
Budweiser plant was fun.
Busch stadium is a great ballpark as well.
AggieOO
aggiederelict said:

Beer snob.
sometimes. there's a time and a place for ****ty beer.
Aggie87
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

The World War One museum in KC is amazing.

I'll second that. Not sure if an 8 year old would enjoy it as much, but it's far, far more interesting than the Arch to me.
a.froman
AG
Thank you all so much. Wonderful ideas. This really helps our trip.
CanyonAg77
AG
Your kid may be too young to appreciate it, but the Steamship Arabia museum is small but fascinating. River boat sank in 1856, mud covered it, and the meandering river left it buried in a corn field. It was packed with 200 tons (400,000 pounds) of food, tools, dishes, etc. etc. etc., including materials to build an entire house. It was all stuff to stock general stores upriver. Imagine seven semis full of stuff for Walmart being lost, then recovered in 2155.

It was excavated in 1988, and almost all the cargo was intact, including a lot of the canned food still being edible.
Wicked Good Ag
City Museum in St Louis

Zoo is free, you pay for extras

I would also look at OKC minor league schedule great ball park on way there or back
Pahdz
In KC...

WWI museum
Negro League museum
Boulevard Brewery tour (great tour I'm told)
AW96
AG
Our family did a TN, Kentucky, Ohio focused road trip last summer (kids were 18, 14, 11) and we took a different route home that took us through St. Louis. We didn't get in until 4 pm and had to leave the next morning so we planned the Arch as our activity. We all enjoyed it and the museum/ movie on the building of the Arch inside. It's an interesting, but fun ride up in those little pods and you can slightly feel it sway up there. We were all glad we did it. Book tickets ahead if you go as they can sell out days in advance. After that they wanted to see other sites for a possible future trip back so we drove by City Museum. I've heard of it for years, but wasn't sure if the kids would be too old and we didn't schedule enough time in SL for it. They ALL thought it looked amazingly fun just from what they could see outside and were so bummed that we didn't go. They also wanted to see the ballpark closer up so we ended up eating right across the street. They have a great entertainment/ restaurant district right there- very cool. There was so much more there to see that we definitely will go back someday.

My husband has cousins in KC so we've been there although it's been years. It's a nice town, but from a tourism standpoint with an 8 year old, I'd pick St. Louis.
The Lost
schmendeler said:

The city museum in St Louis is a "can't miss" for a kid.

This is the correct answer for the situation.
Oak Forest Ag
AG
If you can fit it in, grab lunch in St Louis on "The Hill".

Cunetto's House of Pasta or Zia's. Both are great!
a.froman
AG
Thanks again. I showed my son the website for the City Museum, and he is super excited. He is even more fired up now.
07&09Ag
Moved the family to St. Louis about 2 years ago for work. It really does have a lot of great kids attractions. Sounds like you've got it figured out but happy to chat if you want more suggestions.
Pro Sandy
AG
St Louis, get the toasted ravioli. Thought they were just pizza rolls before, but they are great. We went to Favazzas. Piazza Imo down the street is worth a stop.

There is a park east of the Mississippi that has a great view, minus the power lines. Malcolm Martin Memorial Park.
kcl
AG
Absolutely agree. We spent so much time there and my stepson still claims that St. Louis was the best trip! He always raves about the City Museum.
agracer
AG
WWI museum is on par with any of the Smithsonian museums. But that's assuming your kid can do something like that.

Be aware that Kaufman Stadium is now no cash (I think most of them are). The Royals HOF out by left field is a good walk through and there is a kids area out behind the HOF as well.

Also, Q39 as others suggested. If your there on a weekend night, go online and make reservations.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.