Germany (Bavaria)

3,548 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 1939
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just booked a round trip from Munich April 7-17, but don't have an itinerary yet. Will have 9 full days and are planning on renting a car and staying a night or two in the following towns: Munich, Garmisch, Fussen, Rotenberg, Bamberg, Nuremberg. Anything we should add or skip, and is one night/one day too little in some of these places? Will likely stay two nights in Garmisch and Nuremberg. All of these towns are within 2.5 hours of each other so travel should not be difficult.
fire09
AG
Don't skip out on Mittenwald. One of my favorite mountain towns.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Have you been to Germany before?

I'd consider Baden-Baden but, I'd definitely add Heidelberg to the list.
fire09
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Have you been to Germany before?

I'd consider Baden-Baden but, I'd definitely add Heidelberg to the list.

Another great choice, but definitely prefer Baden Baden during the harvest season.
AG
I haven't been to Germany before. Heidelberg looks cool, I'm a little concerned about distance though. Would like to see that region as I am very familiar with the Alsace region.
94DallasAG
AG
Neuschwanstein
Vernada
AG
94DallasAG said:

Neuschwanstein
he's got fussen on the list...
dummble
AG
My wife and I did this trip a few years ago. Nothing to add. Tons of fun. Just driving around was fun. I guess I would recommend some tums. After the third night of meat and potatoes washed down with liters of beer it was necessary. If you see a stand selling currywurst on the street, go ahead and ruin your dinner. It's worth it.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Are y'all hikers?
AG
Not really but hikes in the Alps may be a game changer compared to Texas.
04aggiegirl
AG
Love Fussen!! Such a magical little town.
et98
AG
I love Munich and the Bavarian region just to the south. Garmisch feels like a fake town from a postcard, but it's real. Choosing it as one of your places to stay was a great decision. Below are my suggestions from Garmisch to Fussen & back up to Munich and in the surrounding area.

Hitler's Eagles Nest -- It's a little out of the way, but it's worth it. It's the #1 spot to see in my opinion. If you can fit it in (may cost you most of day), and I suggest that you do, you won't regret it. It's arguably the most beautiful place I've ever seen. Hitler owned Europe and could pick anywhere on the continent to build his get-away spot. Don't you think he'd choose the most beautiful spot? And you'll learn a lot, too.

Neuschwanstein Castle -- No brainer. Nothing to add here that you don't know already.

Linderhof Palace -- The most ornate & lavish palace in Bavaria and likely second only to Versailles in all of Europe. You have waaaaaaay more access than Versailles with almost no crowd. The oustside grounds are amazing as well, especially if you get a chance to check out the grotto. "The Mad King" Ludwig II was truly a nutjob, and this palace paints a very clear picture of what that means.

Partnach Gorge -- Just north of Garmisch. Amazing canyon cut out by a raging river, like a long narrow cave with continuous rapids on the side. Very unique. There is a little hiking involved through, up to and down from the gorge if I recall, but it's not bad. It's worth the hour or two of your time and was arguably the most underrated & surprising sites in the area. Wear a poncho.

Dachau Concentration Camp -- From Munich, a 30-minute train ride and short 10 minute bus ride (or just drive) will take you to Dachau. Concentration camps are never going to be the "fun" part of your trip, but everyone should see it at some point in their life.

Andechs Monastery -- Located between Neuschwanstein and Munich. Ornate cathedral on a hill. Lots of access. Like other places all over Bavaria, there's a huge beer garden where you can eat, drink, and be merry with tons of close friends you've never met before and will never see again. If you're pressed for time and know you'll be hitting other monasteries and beer gardens, it's skippable I suppose, but for me it was definitely worth the stop. You gotta eat somewhere, you might as well enjoy the experience.

Zugspitze (highest peak in Bavaria) -- Cool cable car ride up to the top. Absolutely beautiful. Just takes a lot of time that you may not have, especially if you visit the Eagle's Nest.

Monestary of Ettal -- If you pass by it, and you likely will on your way to or from Linderhof Palace, it's worth a few minutes of your time. But I wouldn't go out of my way to see it.
FancyKetchup14
AG
et98 said:

I love Munich and the Bavarian region just to the south. Garmisch feels like a fake town from a postcard, but it's real. Choosing it as one of your places to stay was a great decision. Below are my suggestions from Garmisch to Fussen & back up to Munich and in the surrounding area.

Hitler's Eagles Nest -- It's a little out of the way, but it's worth it. It's the #1 spot to see in my opinion. If you can fit it in (may cost you most of day), and I suggest that you do, you won't regret it. It's arguably the most beautiful place I've ever seen. Hitler owned Europe and could pick anywhere on the continent to build his get-away spot. Don't you think he'd choose the most beautiful spot? And you'll learn a lot, too.

Neuschwanstein Castle -- No brainer. Nothing to add here that you don't know already.

Linderhof Palace -- The most ornate & lavish palace in Bavaria and likely second only to Versailles in all of Europe. You have waaaaaaay more access than Versailles with almost no crowd. The oustside grounds are amazing as well, especially if you get a chance to check out the grotto. "The Mad King" Ludwig II was truly a nutjob, and this palace paints a very clear picture of what that means.

Partnach Gorge -- Just north of Garmisch. Amazing canyon cut out by a raging river, like a long narrow cave with continuous rapids on the side. Very unique. There is a little hiking involved through, up to and down from the gorge if I recall, but it's not bad. It's worth the hour or two of your time and was arguably the most underrated & surprising sites in the area. Wear a poncho.

Dachau Concentration Camp -- From Munich, a 30-minute train ride and short 10 minute bus ride (or just drive) will take you to Dachau. Concentration camps are never going to be the "fun" part of your trip, but everyone should see it at some point in their life.

Andechs Monastery -- Located between Neuschwanstein and Munich. Ornate cathedral on a hill. Lots of access. Like other places all over Bavaria, there's a huge beer garden where you can eat, drink, and be merry with tons of close friends you've never met before and will never see again. If you're pressed for time and know you'll be hitting other monasteries and beer gardens, it's skippable I suppose, but for me it was definitely worth the stop. You gotta eat somewhere, you might as well enjoy the experience.

Zugspitze (highest peak in Bavaria) -- Cool cable car ride up to the top. Absolutely beautiful. Just takes a lot of time that you may not have, especially if you visit the Eagle's Nest.

Monestary of Ettal -- If you pass by it, and you likely will on your way to or from Linderhof Palace, it's worth a few minutes of your time. But I wouldn't go out of my way to see it.

This is a really solid list. The nearest town to Eagles Nest is Berchtesgaden, which is a really adorable and picturesque Bavarian town. If I'm ever rich, I'm buying a home there. If you go, go spend some time walking around Hinter-See or go for a hike around Konigsee. St Sebastian's church (which is on the way to Hintersee), is a really pretty church. Go find a beer garden, get a big beer, and eat a Jager Schnitzel after walking around the alps all day. As et98 stated, it's just a gorgeous part of the country.

Neuschwanstein and Andechs Monestary are both beautiful as well. You can knock them out together. If you're pressed for time, I'd skip the monastery over the castle, personally.

At the base of the Zugspitze is Eibsee, which is a gorgeous and picturesque lake. One of my favorite lakes in Germany (Plansee, just across the border in Switzerland, is really pretty, too).

Another recommendation for Dachau. My grandfather helped liberate that particular concentration camp, it was a pretty humbling and surreal experience to walk around there.

Rothenburg is really great (NW of Munich). It's a small village and a slow change of pace. Regensburg is nice and quaint. Nuremberg is another solid visit however it's a big city. I wouldn't recommend it and Munich unless you have a ton of time.

AG
Thanks this is a great list. Several of those were on my list so that's good to see. I was on the fence about the Eagle's nest but this has made me decide to do it, the elevator looks fascinating
dodger02
AG
et98's list is good.

Add Herrenchiemsee to the list. You have to take a ferry to the island but it's another good stop.

We loved the drive to the Wieskirche. Quaint church in the countryside. Easy stop when visiting Fussen, Ettal, Garmisch, etc.

A trip to The Eagle's Nest in Berchtesgaden is an absolute must. In addition to the historical significance, the area is breathtaking.

I do think the Ettal Monastery is a good stop. The monks brew beer and sell it to support their church. It's sold in the adjacent town.

I have family in Bavaria. Dad was born in Sonthofen. His aunts still live on the family farm outside of Immenstadt. It's a fantastic place.
trip
AG
Garmisch, Zugspitze, Neuschwanstein, Munich, Lake Chiemsse, Burchesgarden, Koningssee, Salzberg.

Love that area.
Martin Cash
AG
Since you're in the area, Innsbruck.
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
Caladan
1939 said:

Munich, Garmisch, Fussen, Rotenberg, Bamberg, Nuremberg.
I don't know of a Rotenberg. There is a Rotenburg in Northern Germany, but that is the opposite end of the country from your other destinations. There is also a Rothenburg too. Did you mean one of these two?
MAROON
AG
If you decide to go to The Eagle's Nest in Berchtesgaden, then you might as well add Salzburg to your list of places to see.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
FancyKetchup14
AG
I'm sure he meant Rhotenberg in Bavaria.
AG
Yes, Rothenburg ob der Tauber

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rothenburg_ob_der_Tauber
Post removed:
by user
GT_Aggie2015
AG
+1 for Heidelberg, Innsbruck, and Rothenburg - there was this little town we went to in the Black Forest that I cannot remember for the life of me but it was neat!
Slim Isle
Watch DW so you're informed before your trip. You will prob like it more than anything we can offer .

I flip between fox and DW
bones75
AG
1939 said:

Yes, Rothenburg ob der Tauber

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rothenburg_ob_der_Tauber
I would consider Rothenburg a "can't miss" visit as it is regarded as the best preserved, walled medieval city in Europe. Beautiful and fun to walk around- a real step back in time.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
wildmen09
AG
FancyKetchup14 said:

et98 said:

This is a really solid list. The nearest town to Eagles Nest is Berchtesgaden, which is a really adorable and picturesque Bavarian town. If I'm ever rich, I'm buying a home there. If you go, go spend some time walking around Hinter-See or go for a hike around Konigsee. St Sebastian's church (which is on the way to Hintersee), is a really pretty church. Go find a beer garden, get a big beer, and eat a Jager Schnitzel after walking around the alps all day. As et98 stated, it's just a gorgeous part of the country.

Neuschwanstein and Andechs Monestary are both beautiful as well. You can knock them out together. If you're pressed for time, I'd skip the monastery over the castle, personally.

At the base of the Zugspitze is Eibsee, which is a gorgeous and picturesque lake. One of my favorite lakes in Germany (Plansee, just across the border in Switzerland, is really pretty, too).

Another recommendation for Dachau. My grandfather helped liberate that particular concentration camp, it was a pretty humbling and surreal experience to walk around there.

Rothenburg is really great (NW of Munich). It's a small village and a slow change of pace. Regensburg is nice and quaint. Nuremberg is another solid visit however it's a big city. I wouldn't recommend it and Munich unless you have a ton of time.

If you are a hiker and I decent shape you can hike up to the eagles nest from town. It's a doozy but worth it.
trip
AG
wildmen09 said:

FancyKetchup14 said:

et98 said:

If you are a hiker and I decent shape you can hike up to the eagles nest from town. It's a doozy but worth it.
Much easier to ride the bus up and walk down.
trip
AG
All this is good.

Random fact. My mom wrote a book on what to do in Germany back in the 1980s for the army wifes club. It is now in it 20- something version.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
Link it here!
trip
trip
AG
only copy I could find

Mom wrote the original in 1988 or 89. This is the 1999 version. It isn't made anymore since the troop withdraw.

I will look around for my copy of it.
AG
Well darn just found out the Eagle's nest doesn't open until mid May so we will have to miss it.
AG
Well we just got back a few weeks ago. Overall it was an amazing trip. We saw most of the sights that were discussed on this thread, BIggest positive surprise was how much we enjoyed Nuremberg. HIghly recommend this trip.

If I had it to do over again I think I would have cut a few days and travelled into a different country, Bavaria is very convenient to Northern Italy, eastern France/Alsace region, etc. 10 days in Bavaria was a little much. We were gone April 7-17, and it was cold. Even snowed a few inches in Fussen. Because of the weather most of the time people were not utilizing the beer gardens and outdoor dining spaces. I would suggest not going until May (we did save alot of money going in April though).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.