Telluride at Thanksgiving

1,408 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Hincemm
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can anyone give any advice on skiing in the area over Thanksgiving? Telluride doesn't open until after Thanksgiving but we want to get at least one day of skiing in somewhere close by that is worth it. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
Hincemm
AG
Wolf creek, I would think. Is the pass an issue? Others would know better than me
gig_this
I agree that Wolf Creek is the only sure bet to be open. They actually opened part of the mountain this weekend. We were at Wolf Creek last year for Thanksgiving and it was 100% open.
beerag04
AG
Purgatory projects to open the week of Thanksgiving. Probably limited runs though.

We are headed there the week before Christmas. That is the earliest we've ever skied, so I'm watching it closely.
Hincemm
AG
beerag04 said:

Purgatory projects to open the week of Thanksgiving. Probably limited runs though.

We are headed there the week before Christmas. That is the earliest we've ever skied, so I'm watching it closely.

As a fan of purg, I would not go there that early. Low probability of good snow.
The Silverback
AG
gig_this said:

I agree that Wolf Creek is the only sure bet to be open. They actually opened part of the mountain this weekend. We were at Wolf Creek last year for Thanksgiving and it was 100% open.
I think they actually opened this past weekend. They typically get more snowfall than any other ski mountain in Colorado. Should be fine at Thanksgiving
The Collective
AG
Definitely on Wolf Creek - think they start averaging around 5 feet / month as early as November. They are pretty good at keeping the pass clear - just check CDOT. The pass can be a bit daunting during a snowstorm if you aren't used to it. There are some shuttles out of Pagosa Springs if that is not your thing.
txags92
AG
Unless I am mistaken, the OP's post sounded like he was planning to be in Telluride and was looking for a day or more of skiing near there. Wolf Creek Ski Area is 3.5+ hours one way from Telluride in good weather.
Hincemm
AG
True but at least you know wolf creek will be open!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.