Best VPN for watching ESPN app while in Middle East

1,800 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by La Bamba
OilManAg91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm headed to the ME a few times this fall and looking for a VPN so I can watch the Ags and other football games online while I'm over there. Does anyone have first hand experience with VPN's working for ESPN app, Fubo TV or Hulu in some of these countries. Appreciate the recommendations.
akaggie05
AG
The most reliable option for your specific situation would be to run your own VPN server at your house and connect back through it. Lots of routers these days include a built-in OpenVPN server (for example).
FlowCtlr
AG
I've had luck with ExpressVPN in Middle East.
craigernaught
AG
I live in the Middle East.

I use Private Internet Access and it works fine. But when the subscription runs out, I'll switch to something else. VPN plus ESPN app has never worked well for me regardless of which one I use.

Streaming on sportsurge dot net is easier, better quality, and has less delay. It's easy and there are a lot of options. Just make sure to run an adblocker.

The time difference sucks. Pray for day games.
I Play With Guns
S
We used a slingbox that we put at my in-laws house before we left. We sat it up in a guest bedroom that never got used so we didn't have to worry about missing any football games bc the in-laws were busy watching something else.
TXCityAggie
AG
I have lived abroad in various locations for the last decade and ExpressVPN is the best. There have been a couple of times that I've had issues, but they solved them quickly using the chat feature on their website.
HowdyAgs03
AG
This is the best way to watch every game with the exception of games on CBS:
https://www.espnplayer.com/packages
Stat Monitor Repairman
I did an experiment one time by setting up an ipad to a US vpn.

Before I left I locked down location services, turned off cellular data. Basically shut down anything and everything that could change a location setting or log the ipad as being used overseas.

If i remember correctly that worked for a long time. Watching through the espn app logged in through a US cable provider.

Eventually I looked something up on maps and it logged a location of the ipad.

From then on I was blocked on netflix, espn and sling.

Things have advanced in the past 5 years.

Fubo streaming wont connect until you let it see your location.

Probably hit or miss unless you get a report at your specific location.
TXCityAggie
AG
I've been connecting to my family's Xfinity account using the Xfinity app on Firestick and a VPN. That's been working really well. No problems yesterday watching games on the ESPN channels. The ESPN app also works but too much buffering.
jbanda
AG
I spent a lot of time in Israel for work. ExpressVPN worked like a charm.
TXCityAggie
AG
It's also really easy to find streams of the games on Youtube for free. I watched Ole Miss/Louisville Monday with with the Youtube app on my tv.
htxag09
AG
3rd (?) for Express VPN. I've also used it in the middle east to watch Aggie games.
OilManAg91
AG
YouTube TV was the option I could get to to work so I was able to watch the game on a long layover at the Turkish Airlines lounge in Istanbul. ExpressVPN and ESPNplayer were blocked as well as another VPN I have. Didn't try sportsurge as I got YouTube TV up and running before going that far down my list.
HawthornAggie
AG
Nord VPN has never failed me. Started using it when I went to Dubai for the first time in 2018 and have used it on all my international travel since then.
OilManAg91
AG
Great. I will try Nord next time. Also I could be having issues with my company's security setting that conflict with the VPNs. I don't think that's the case but could be.
TwoTimeAg
AG
I Play With Guns said:

We used a slingbox that we put at my in-laws house before we left. We sat it up in a guest bedroom that never got used so we didn't have to worry about missing any football games bc the in-laws were busy watching something else.
Slingbox was my go-to for years and never failed me across the globe, but it has been discontinued and will totally shut down for good in November 2022. I guess the no monthly fee model ended up killing them, but man was it nice watching television from anywhere in the world with all your cable box/dvr features as if you were in your house.
La Bamba
AG
I spend half the year in the Middle East. ExpressVPN and ESPN app work just fine together. I log in through my cable provider and can watch the Ags.

But I have issue with company provided computer. So I watch on my phone or bring a personal laptop to watch games.
La Bamba
AG
HowdyAgs03 said:

This is the best way to watch every game with the exception of games on CBS:
https://www.espnplayer.com/packages

This also works.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.