NYC

3,123 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Always_Right
kodymack82
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has anyone traveled to NYC recently? I know they have a travel restriction from Texas, but wondering how strict they have been with it.
AustinCountyAg
Wtf you wanna go there for?
Oak Forest Ag
AG
Apparently dining is very limited.

Do you like hot dogs from the street vendors?
kodymack82
Flights and hotels are super cheap right now, so that's why I am interested. If most attractions are closed, then it obviously wouldn't be worth the savings.
Oak Forest Ag
AG
kodymack82 said:

Flights and hotels are super cheap right now, so that's why I am interested. If most attractions are closed, then it obviously wouldn't be worth the savings.
Not a native of NYC, nor an expert, but I have been there many times over the past 30 years.

Pretty sure there are no shows, little shopping, and few places to eat. No sports (Yankees, Mets, etc.).

Be sure to avoid the "peaceful protests", and good luck!
BSD
AG
kodymack82 said:

Flights and hotels are super cheap right now

There's a reason for that, ya know.
Old RV Ag
AG
kodymack82 said:

Be careful on hotels - lots have been pushed into using large portions of them to house homeless during this time. Am not talking ****hole ones only. Many boutique hotels are being used so you might be surprised who the other guests are - and why the price is super cheap!

Used to fly up there every couple months to consult on agriculture commodities but haven't been since January. All the people I know have said those with money and vacation homes have fled, no places to eat, nice neighborhoods boarded up from riots, etc. The Upper West Side has revived the Guardian Angels - remember them from years ago - as police patrols are spotty. Basically they say in six months they have returned to the ****hole that was NYC in the 70s. A friend with teenage daughters lives on the Upper East Side in a very wealthy area, and he says a year ago, the girls could run to the corner drug store at midnight but now they can not go out after dark - and never alone even in daylight hours.
WoMD
If it's anything like SF (where I live) right now, with literally EVERYTHING closed, it is a horrific and depressing place to be. I am doing everything in my power to be somewhere, anywhere, else for as long as possible. I had to go back last week to resupply (I'm now hiding in Boise for another day), and literally just sat in my condo doing nothing the entire time. These cities are miserable places right now, and I didn't even mention the political fear state that's permeated every aspect of life.

Literally no one, including people who live there, wants to be there. I imagine New York is the same, and possibly worse.
Old RV Ag
AG
WoMD said:

If it's anything like SF (where I live) right now, with literally EVERYTHING closed, it is a horrific and depressing place to be. I am doing everything in my power to be somewhere, anywhere, else for as long as possible. I had to go back last week to resupply (I'm now hiding in Boise for another day), and literally just sat in my condo doing nothing the entire time. These cities are miserable places right now, and I didn't even mention the political fear state that's permeated every aspect of life.

Literally no one, including people who live there, wants to be there. I imagine New York is the same, and possibly worse.
Sounds the same. Taking it you're a doctor. My friend in the commodities business is married to a doctor. He says she says - although not her area (i.e., psychiatry) - everyone seems to exhibit PTSD symptoms. Depression seems to be the norm for everyone living there. While they know tourism is big for NYC, they really want time to get back to some normal life before dealing with the influx of tourists. They are already lining up therapy for their kids (and likely themselves!). I'm doing all consulting by Zoom (something I refused to even consider before - but now I don't have any plans for an in person trip for at least a year).
WoMD
Old RV Ag said:

WoMD said:

Sounds the same. Taking it you're a doctor. My friend in the commodities business is married to a doctor. He says she says - although not her area (i.e., psychiatry) - everyone seems to exhibit PTSD symptoms. Depression seems to be the norm for everyone living there. While they know tourism is big for NYC, they really want time to get back to some normal life before dealing with the influx of tourists. They are already lining up therapy for their kids (and likely themselves!). I'm doing all consulting by Zoom (something I refused to even consider before - but now I don't have any plans for an in person trip for at least a year).

Depression absolutely is a concern, and a reality. Not trying to sidetrack, but I bet you a majority of the people in the major cities that are still locked down tight are clinically depressed. I know it was starting to impact me, and I was only there for a week or two every couple months (I do traveling locum work, so can get gigs anywhere my license allows and escape). I can't imagine being stuck there right now...
jarz94
AG
Fly through Newark, NJ and take an Uber or train over to NYC.

Basically all the restaurants are back open with outdoor dining. It's actually pretty nice with the weather cooling off

Most of the major attractions are open. Just do some research beforehand on their capacity and if you have to reserve a time slot before you get there
dallasag_123
not at all true, but whatever.
Fightin03
Ag_07
AG
FWIW...My wife was supposed to fly there in Oct for her sister's wedding (courthouse ceremony), but they heard that NYC is actually being pretty diligent on the travel restriction thing with follow up phone calls and check-ins so they've told everyone to stay home and not come.
Clever&FunnyAg
AG
Yeah, city is coming back and there's certainly tons of energy around town now.

Please don't come if you're not going to abide the coronavirus quarantine requirements that have kept cases low here.
tmaggies
AG
Clever&FunnyAg said:

Yeah, city is coming back and there's certainly tons of energy around town now.

Please don't come if you're not going to abide the coronavirus quarantine requirements that have kept cases low here.

Don't worry most don't have any desire to visit that city.
dallasag_123
I bet you are fun.
Old RV Ag
AG
dallasag_123 said:

I bet you are fun.
He doesn't like sheep. He went to New Mexico but only went where people didn't wear masks and said it was a protest by not doing so.
dallasag_123
I am quite sure he thinks he knows all New Yorkers are rude, and not real Americans and all that garbage, but without ever going there or if he has never leaving Midtown/Times square. But, again, whatever.
lamivudine
NYC is a cesspool..Good luck OP dont' get jailed in a nursing home. Also, make sure you hit the bronx lovely this time of year.
Clever&FunnyAg
AG
TexAgs is weird, man.
tmaggies
AG
Yes it is.......
hoosierAG
AG
No idea about now (and completely agree about the concerns now) but been to NYC 3 times pre Covid and had a blast every time, felt perfectly safe (even safer than many cities) at all times (family included). Met helpful and friendly people from the cab drivers to several everyday people who helped us when we were first confused a little doing the subway.

I'm not saying we weren't careful and observant, but we walked all over and took the subway at almost all hrs not a single concerning time. I get that it's anecdotal account, but man, the cesspool crap is just ignorant imo. And I am not saying I want to live there, agree with the politics, or it's a place that everyone wants to visit, etc..but man if you don't go do/see things based on only your worldview/politics you will soon just be resigned to your house and miss so much.
kyledr04
AG
NYC certainly has its warts like any city but I always enjoyed it especially at Christmas. I think I've been about 20 times in the last 3 years for work. Taken my family, parents, granny. All good times. Lots to do and good food. Hope it gets back to normal.
Always_Right
AG
We go to NYC for a few days prior to Christmas each year, regardless of where else we go, its my favorite trip. Really bummed that we aren't going to be able to go this year but already making plans to be back in 2021. Everyone that we've encountered, those who live there and other tourists, have been nothing but great. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I would recommend going at least once in your life.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.