FBI Background Check While Overseas?

1,264 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by HollywoodBQ
TXCityAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm currently living in Guatemala but will be moving to Colombia in a few months. I am in the process of obtaining all the materials I need for my Visa and one of those is an FBI Background Check. Does anyone have an idea of how I can do this while out of the USA? I checked the local embassy and there is no information about this on the website.

Enzo The Baker
AG
I'm not sure what the process is like now but if it's the fingerprints that are an issue, a local police station might be able to do your prints. That's what I did while I was in Korea. They might charge a small fee.

Then if I'm not mistaken I would just fill out the form with the fingerprint card and send it in. Also might be worthwhile looking into third parties to expedite the service and get their opinion. Background checks can take a long time otherwise.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I should also add if you go the third party 'channeler' route, make sure the government/institution that needs the background check would accept an FBI check gathered from a channeler. Also make sure that the channeler is an approved channeler on the fbi website.
HollywoodBQ
AG
https://www.edo.cjis.gov/#/
I've done this a couple of times while living in Australia.
In my case, I was able to go to the local police station and have them do it.
They were supposed to charge me but never did.

One time, they had the super duper new digital scanner and printed out the page with all of those fingerprints, palm prints, etc.

Another time, they did the rolled ink on the proper form.
https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/standard-fingerprint-form-fd-258-1.pdf/view

You mail your stuff in to the FBI in West Virginia and somewhere between 6-8 weeks later, they mail back to your your background check.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.