Spain

4,980 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 2008and1
2008and1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I are going to Spain for two weeks in the spring:
  • Madrid (3.5 days)
  • Cordoba (1)
  • Seville (2)
  • Granada (2)
  • Barcelona (4)

Things we already have booked:
  • Alhambra in Granada
  • Day trip to Montserrat from Barcelona

We are planning on taking 1 day trip from Madrid, but can't decide between Toledo and Segovia. Anyone been to both and have a recommendation?

Any recommendations on other Must See's or places to eat at each stop?

Thanks in advance?
2008and1
AG
Any advice on things that should be/need to be booked in advance is welcomed as well.
notheranymore
I prefer Segovia to Toledo but do both if you can. You are going to love Montserrat. Must see the fountain show at Mont Juic (sp) in Barcelona.

Alos, Picasso museum in Barcelona. Prado in Madrid.
hds
AG
Be sure to book La Familia tickets in advance it gets crowded and sold out. I did the Passion Tower which had a nice view of the city but wasn't as amazing as I read in the online reviews . . . it was nice but if you don't do a tower you aren't missing much. I am glad I did it though.

If going to La Pedrera there is a tour called The Awakening . . . it is a hour before the public opening and only 8-10 people. The guide was excellent and again no one inside except the small group. You really get to see and learn about the place plus went to a couple places off limits during regular hours. It wasn't that expensive either maybe 5-6 euro more than regular entrance ticket.

I also did Casa Batllo which was very crowded and so hot inside . . . again bought ticket in advance but maybe if you went with the first time slot would be less crowded?
90 bull
AG
We just spent several weeks in Spain. We enjoyed the feel of Seville, so I don't know if two days is enough. We mainly just enjoyed walking the old town area, and visiting the churches. Personal preference, so you may disagree. Actually didn't visit Madrid, so can't comment on day trips.
jeffdjohnson
Must go to a Real Madrid or FC Barcelona game if they happen to be in town when you are there.
Greener Acres
AG
The Ornaments of the World, by Maria Rosa Menocal, provides a history of andulacia from the perspective of the three main religions (Christians, Muslims, Jewish) and how they coexisted. It covers a lot of important sights throughout the areas you'll cover and it wasn't a hard read. It seems like some reviewers differ on the interpretation of how these religions coexisted, but the historical information is great for a traveler.
Texaggie7nine
Has anyone been in Seville or other towns for Semana Santa? We will be in Spain for that week and are wondering if it's worth planning around it so we can see as much of it as we can.
7nine
blueagg
AG
Not Semana Santa but I have been for Feria de Abril. It's a few weeks later. If your trip was just starting and you will still be in Spain around mid-April I would recommend changing the Seville dates to catch it. Great experience - kind of like HLSR BBQ cook off does Seville.

Aside from this, we did enjoy Seville. Particularly walking around the town, eating/drinking, catching some of the traditions (flamenco and bull fighting). We got an Airbnb and it worked very well. Not a difficult city to get around.
schmendeler
AG
2008and1 said:

• Madrid (3.5 days)
  • Cordoba (1)
  • Seville (2)
  • Granada (2)
  • Barcelona (4)

• Alhambra in Granada

We are planning on taking 1 day trip from Madrid, but can't decide between Toledo and Segovia. Anyone been to both and have a recommendation?

Thanks in advance?
your time break up is pretty good. we went to all of those cities when we visited and spend about the same about of time. we would have liked more time in Sevilla, but I don't think you can take any time away from any of the other stops. as for Segovia/Toledo, we went to both, and I liked Segovia more (with a stop at Valle de los Caidos on the way), but not sure if that's typical. I just really enjoyed the roast suckling pig at the caf in view of the aqueduct. and it wasn't busy at all. we also tried to stop at El Escorial on the way but that day there was some local holiday or festival occurring and it was closed.

Toledo was pretty busy/touristy.
dcAg
When you are in Barcelona and you feel like going to a beach hop on the train and go to Sitges. It is a 30-45 minute train ride. Sitges is a nice little artist town with a GREAT beach.
752bro4
AG
The wife and I have 5-6 days in Spain at the end of May, landing in Madrid, and likely out through Barcelona.

Should we focus just on Madrid and Barcelona? Or add Seville?
90 bull
AG
I really liked sevillle. But 5/6 days isn't much. I didn't go to Madrid, so I can comment specifically, but I don't think that is enough time for 3 cities
schmendeler
AG
752bro4 said:

The wife and I have 5-6 days in Spain at the end of May, landing in Madrid, and likely out through Barcelona.

all three are great. but if you don't like packing up every other day to leave, then i would do just two cities. i say do Madrid and Sevilla or Barcelona and Sevilla, you'll get the big city and smaller city flavor that way. but really, you will have a great time no matter what you choose.
bushytailed
AG
schmendeler said:

2008and1 said:

• Madrid (3.5 days)
  • Cordoba (1)
  • Seville (2)
  • Granada (2)
  • Barcelona (4)

• Alhambra in Granada

Thanks in advance?
your time break up is pretty good. we went to all of those cities when we visited and spend about the same about of time. we would have liked more time in Sevilla, but I don't think you can take any time away from any of the other stops. as for Segovia/Toledo, we went to both, and I liked Segovia more (with a stop at Valle de los Caidos on the way), but not sure if that's typical. I just really enjoyed the roast suckling pig at the caf in view of the aqueduct. and it wasn't busy at all. we also tried to stop at El Escorial on the way but that day there was some local holiday or festival occurring and it was closed.

Toledo was pretty busy/touristy.

I preferred Segovia for those very reasons. The suckling pig at that same cafe was great. Also, the castle in Segovia is said to be Walt Disney's inspiration for Sleeping Beauty Castle.

If you get a chance to visit El Escorial, I recommend doing that too.
Apache
AG
Segovia is awesome! Highly recommend. The Aquaduct, Castle & Cathedral are all top notch. There are a few great Romanesque churches in town that are over 800 years old that are worth seeing as well..

Agree that maybe Barcelona may be trying to squeeze too much in. That's a ton of packing stuff & travel time & you'll use time you could otherwise be sipping sangrias & enjoying yourself. Either way, you'll have a wonderful time.
Texaggie7nine
I think we have found our itinerary.

Flying into Malaga in mid march. Renting a car. Driving to Ronda, Gibraltar, Cadiz, Jerez, Seville (for several days), Caceres, Salamanca, Segovia, El Escorial for the San Lorenzo castle, Madrid, Toledo. Then leave out of madrid after 2 and a half weeks.

Only place we have booked lodging is Madrid. Other than that I think we are just going to wing it depending on how many days we want to spend in each city.
7nine
eiggA2002
AG
Quote:

Flying into Malaga in mid march. Renting a car. Driving to Ronda, Gibraltar, Cadiz, Jerez, Seville (for several days), Caceres, Salamanca, Segovia, El Escorial for the San Lorenzo castle, Madrid, Toledo. Then leave out of madrid after 2 and a half weeks.
Unless you've been there before, you can't go to Andalusia and not do Granada. Personally, Granada would be at the top of the list. If you need to take one off, Gibraltar is highly overrated and honestly, quite trashy.
Texaggie7nine
eiggA2002 said:

Quote:

Unless you've been there before, you can't go to Andalusia and not do Granada. Personally, Granada would be at the top of the list. If you need to take one off, Gibraltar is highly overrated and honestly, quite trashy.
Thank you, I will look into that. I only threw in Gibraltar because it was on the way from Ronda to Cadiz. Figured it would be worth the stop.

Granada goes out of the way but not too far.

FYI, I like really old historical things, the older the better.
7nine
2008and1
AG
Haven't been yet (OP), but we will be going to Granada on our trip. I've read the Alhambra in Granada is one of the best sites to see in all of Spain. I also read you need to buy tickets WAY in advance. If you decide on Granada I'd look for tickets ASAP as they may already be sold out for March.
schmendeler
AG
Al hambra was definitely a highlight
GCRanger
AG
We did new years in Nerja and Torrox Costa about ten years ago. We are thinking of doing it again this year to meet up with Irish family there for the holidays. I really like Spain. Al Hambra is awesome. Driving is easy.
Goodest Poster
AG
752bro4 said:

My .02. I disliked Barcelona. People were rude everywhere- felt like france. Seville on the other hand is 1 of about 4 cities in Europe I could live. Good mix of tourism and normal life. Segovia id also a fantastic tourist stop- so many cool things to see.
You will have a great time whatever you decide.
schmendeler
AG
"1 of about 4 cities in Europe I could live"

Uh, what?
Texaggie7nine
2008and1 said:

Haven't been yet (OP), but we will be going to Granada on our trip. I've read the Alhambra in Granada is one of the best sites to see in all of Spain. I also read you need to buy tickets WAY in advance. If you decide on Granada I'd look for tickets ASAP as they may already be sold out for March.
Thanks for the tip. Booked a tour in Alhambra.
7nine
RMC91
AG
AGC
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Only place we have booked lodging is Madrid. Other than that I think we are just going to wing it depending on how many days we want to spend in each city.

Why are you driving all of those places? I can't imagine you'd spend much time in many of them. I say that as someone who studied in salamanca and interned in Madrid.
Texaggie7nine
AGC said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Why are you driving all of those places? I can't imagine you'd spend much time in many of them. I say that as someone who studied in salamanca and interned in Madrid.
Don't know if we'll ever be back to spain and we really want to see all these places. We like being on the road and seeing lots of places. Doing the same in Belgium the week after.
7nine
AGC
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

AGC said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Don't know if we'll ever be back to spain and we really want to see all these places. We like being on the road and seeing lots of places. Doing the same in Belgium the week after.

If you like scenery I recommend driving north. I went from Salamanca to San Sebastin and it was much more scenic than anything down south, driving through the mountains before coming into the bay with the city in view. It's close to Pamplona and Bilbao, some better places than the small towns imo.
Texaggie7nine
I like super old history more than scenery. It's why Cacerez is on our list.
7nine
rsemingson
2008and1 said:

• Madrid (3.5 days)
  • Cordoba (1)
  • Seville (2)
  • Granada (2)
  • Barcelona (4)

• Alhambra in Granada

Thanks in advance?

First, Montserrat is a great one day trip. We had a english speaking tour bus) Second, I recommend Segovia. Take the high speed train(you can book ahead on eurorail first class tickets) out o f Charmatin station in Madrid for a day trip. Only 45 minutes. Taxi to the Alchazar on the hill, then walk down to the city center by the aqueduct. The cathedral is on the way and lots of pottery shops. Now for lunch, Meson Candido(google) is the oldest in Segovia. Book online for reservations. They are famous for roast suckling pig or leg of lamb. Wine is wonderful also. Taxi back to the train station, 45 minutes back to Madrid. There you go..Great day trip. We did that last May. If you want some suggestions of things to do in Madrid email me at 777rick@sbcglobal.net
dustin999
AG
Anyone have any advice with kids, ages 7 and 8? Right now our plan is to spend 2-3 days in Barcelona, hit up 1 or 2 other places for about 3 days, then 2-3 days in Madrid.

I was thinking maybe Valencia or Zaragoza or somewhere up in the Basque region (driving), I'd like to find something that's laid back, authentic, and maybe scenic. Kids are happier probably outside site seeing and hiking than stuck in a tour bus or a museum, and unfortunately we'll probably get our fill of that in Barcelona and Madrid.

I think it's going to be too much traveling trying to make it to Seville or somewhere far south with kids.

Any recs on places to stop, or things that younger kids really enjoy?
Apache
AG
The Basque region is EXTREMELY beautiful!! Lush green with mountains, hiking, great beaches, wonderful food. San Sebastian is one of my favorite places in the world. Also a short drive to Bilbao to see the famous museum there.
**Can be a little chilly, even in June/July.
Greener Acres
AG
Second on going to the Basque region. San Sebastian has three beaches in town and two are very suitable for kids to play in the water and one even has a pool on the beach. Your kids may be old enough to not need parks but there are lots of them in a very small area. There is also an "amusement" park that you take a funicular to get to.

Plus the area is beautiful and you can join a revolution.
dustin999
AG
San Sebastian looks great! Thanks for the tip. I'm realizing now it's a longer drive than cruising down the Mediterranean coast, but it sounds like it's pretty scenic if we take the route at the base of the Pyrenees?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.